Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
smikalow
smikalow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindel II
No privicy with Kendel.

Hi every body. My name is Sandy. I bought a Kendle II a year ago and am very disappointed in it. I was under the impression it was like my PC in that I could do any thing with it I wanted since I bought and paid for it. I first had a hint there was a problem when I read the information that came with the kindle. I have elected to not be tracked by Amazon and this causes a lot of problems. As a book reader it is in fact great. But it is the fact that I can't do a lot of the things that they advertises that really ticks me off. if you want on the web the only way you can get on is by registering with Amazon. there are many other things I would like to do like games. again you have to register and be tracked by Amazon.

I would recommend a different brand then Kendle if you want to be able to user your reader for anything other the just a reader and not have amazon tracking and recording what your doing and then turning the results over to the government.

Best Regards

Sandy
smikalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What a load of rubbish. Amazon do not "record what you do and turn it over to the government".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 04:50 AM   #3
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
And it's not "Kendle", but Kindle. It's an offensive misspelling.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:56 AM   #4
wiccan2
Connoisseur
wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3 - 3g, Samsung Galaxy Note
I agree with HarryT Amazon do not record and turn over information to the government and I see no logical use for this data by the government. The most likely reason Amazon want you to register is because they are essentially giving you free Internet access at their cost. It's understandable that they would like to monitor this as they need to know if anyone is abusing the service as it would cost them money and have a detrimental effect on others using the service.

In any case it is possible to turn off the data logging/big brother features of the kindle and if you look around the forums you will find out how, if I remember correctly there is a link in the Comprehensive list of kindle hacks thread.

I think you should just calm down and not be so paranoid. The Kindle is a fantastic device to use and the Whispernet features are actually pretty useful.
wiccan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hmmm...perhaps the purchase of a book and a game would be a better solution to your problem.

I might add, as well, that doing a bit of research might have given you a clue to the KINDLE'S "limitations."

You should promptly de-register and return it.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
daveps
daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Send me it if you don't like it
daveps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #7
killjoy
Enthusiast
killjoy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
But on your PC your ISP can track what you do (unless you are going to work very hard at being covert) and they will pass that information to he government if formally requested.
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:24 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
No privicy with Kendel.
I find Kendel to be very discrete. He's a straight-up guy. Where'd you run into him?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Personally I have several reasons to not choose the Kindle. Privacy being one of them.

BUT, having said that, I don't for one second think that Amazon actually bothers to "collect" my activities! And no government would be interested in it anyway...

And even IF they decided to keep track of me, come on, how much "interesting" activities can you do on an e-ink device?? Except of course the obvious: read books that might be considered bad/illegal or whatever.

Tin foil anyone?

Edit: Totally OT! Just got curious and had to look up "privicy" vs "privacy" and found quite a few places with "privicy policies". Is "privicy" a usable term as well, or is it just one of those wide-spread misconceptions? Pardon me for asking, I'm not a native English speaker, but always prepared to expand my language skill a little!

Last edited by Asawi; 09-06-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Edit: Totally OT! Just got curious and had to look up "privicy" vs "privacy" and found quite a few places with "privicy policies". Is "privicy" a usable term as well, or is it just one of those wide-spread misconceptions? Pardon me for asking, I'm not a native English speaker, but always prepared to expand my language skill a little!
I've no idea. But just looking at the two words, I would say the first one the way I hear some British people pronounce it (short 'i' as opposed to a long 'i'). I've never run into that spelling in real life, though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #11
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You should promptly de-register and return it.
Agreed. Sorry OP, but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. While the Kindle is a great device, it isn't for everyone. Just save yourself the aggravation and return it.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Aww, I thought he'd just spelt the title wrong and this was going to be about Kendal mint cake.....

Edit - privicy isn't a usable term, except when people spell privacy wrong.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 09-06-2011 at 09:36 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It's been a while since there's been a good fear mongering thread here.....
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What a load of rubbish. Amazon do not "record what you do and turn it over to the government".
If someone turned up with a court order they would have no choice but to hand that data over. I can't really see any government being interested in it though, unless you're some sort of gangster or terrorist type that they can't find any evidence on.

My main worry would be that Amazon gets hacked and all your reading habits end up on the internet for everyone to snigger at.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
never read Kendel without proper safeguards in place.

Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote