Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Thumbs up Why I still love KOBO.

I have had my Aura HD since April 2013 (when they were released) and I noticed that my screen is getting horribly scratched. Having owned a Kobo Original, a Touch, a Glo, and a Vox, I have never experienced this problem before so I contacted Kobo Customer Care through their online chat yesterday to ask their opinion. After reassuring them that I have treated my Aura no differently than any of my previous KOBOs they asked for a few pictures. I sent them, but of course with my crappy camera phone you can’t really see any of the scratches (and a few gouges). The rep said there was nothing they could do at their level and that they would send my problem to tier 2 support, after being sure to point out that this was a physical damage and hence not covered by my warranty.
So I figured I would wait a few weeks to hear back from tier 2 and then be told that it must have been my fault that the screen is so scratched up and there was nothing they could do. My big dilemma at that point would be do I buy another Aura now or put up with the scratches until more news of the new KOBO reader came out.

Imagine my surprise when I received an email from tier 2 today asking for my address, purchase date and serial number!!! After sending them the required information, they said they are sending me a new Aura and when I receive it could I please send them the old one back in the pre-paid mailing bag they would be supplying!

So, while I know some people have had poor experiences with KOBO customer service and the previously believed mythical tier 2, I just wanted to put in my good story.

Now… I still need to decide about this new KOBO that they are going to announce. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
manfred63
Connoisseur
manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I'm so glad that you made good experiences with Kobo and with Kobo customer service. Kobo is amazing. When I first found out about Kobo I was a bit surprised because it's a bit different than other ebooks. Really a bit different. But after weeks and weeks I came to love Kobo even more each day. I would never leave my house without Kobo anymore. Wherever I am, Kobo is there, too.

LG manfred63
manfred63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Math View Post
I have had my Aura HD since April 2013 (when they were released) and I noticed that my screen is getting horribly scratched. Having owned a Kobo Original, a Touch, a Glo, and a Vox, I have never experienced this problem before so I contacted Kobo Customer Care through their online chat yesterday to ask their opinion. After reassuring them that I have treated my Aura no differently than any of my previous KOBOs they asked for a few pictures. I sent them, but of course with my crappy camera phone you can’t really see any of the scratches (and a few gouges). The rep said there was nothing they could do at their level and that they would send my problem to tier 2 support, after being sure to point out that this was a physical damage and hence not covered by my warranty.
So I figured I would wait a few weeks to hear back from tier 2 and then be told that it must have been my fault that the screen is so scratched up and there was nothing they could do. My big dilemma at that point would be do I buy another Aura now or put up with the scratches until more news of the new KOBO reader came out.

Imagine my surprise when I received an email from tier 2 today asking for my address, purchase date and serial number!!! After sending them the required information, they said they are sending me a new Aura and when I receive it could I please send them the old one back in the pre-paid mailing bag they would be supplying!

So, while I know some people have had poor experiences with KOBO customer service and the previously believed mythical tier 2, I just wanted to put in my good story.

Now… I still need to decide about this new KOBO that they are going to announce. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

S
That is indeed good to hear. Its also a good point for the need of screen protectors. In fact I have left the plastic that was on my Kobo Aura screen when I purchased it on the device.. and trimmed the tab off. I have not found a screen protector yet That I like. I like the glossy ones similar to the plastic protector that the aura was shipped with.. the reasoning is because its glossy it tends to pop the text a whole lot better then the non glare screens which tend to blur the text too much to prevent glare. Yes I do realize that the glossy adds glare when outside, but so far it has not been an issue.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Glad to hear a positive Kobo support thread.
I'm wondering how you are getting scratches on your Aura screen. I don't use a cover and my Aura gets transported around in my bag and it doesn't have a single scratch.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I carry my Kobo Mini in right front pocket with coins and pocket knife in bottom. Looks and works like new. Best $40 I spent recently.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I have a small nik in my Aura's screen and just assumed that it's because the light guide is more delicate than the naked screen on my Touch. (It's not bothersome though. It's only visible in daylight, and not with the light on.)

As others have said though, it's good to hear about good Kobo support. That's especially true since it sounds like they took the initiative to do so after originally declining.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:43 AM   #7
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Thanks for sharing your story, Mostly Math. Very good to hear.

I want to say, I've only ever had positive experiences with Kobo support — prompt replies, useful details, all questions answered — but I haven't had any physical issues with my Kobos. (Yet. Touch wood! )

Although ... the light on my Aura is a bit wonky. I wonder if that's just luck of the draw, or if Kobo will help me sort that out?

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 08-02-2013 at 12:47 AM.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:16 AM   #8
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Re: scratches on the glass of your Aura HD--are you maybe cleaning your screen with paper (such as napkins, tissues, etc.)? I did that on my Sony PRS-950 and ended up with terrible scratches, so now I carry a microfiber cloth, which is the ONLY thing besides my fingers to touch the glass. I've had my Aura HD since April and the glass is pristine.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Glad to hear a positive Kobo support thread.
I'm wondering how you are getting scratches on your Aura screen. I don't use a cover and my Aura gets transported around in my bag and it doesn't have a single scratch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
Re: scratches on the glass of your Aura HD--are you maybe cleaning your screen with paper (such as napkins, tissues, etc.)? I did that on my Sony PRS-950 and ended up with terrible scratches, so now I carry a microfiber cloth, which is the ONLY thing besides my fingers to touch the glass. I've had my Aura HD since April and the glass is pristine.
I have no idea how I am getting these scratches. I carry it in a case and don't clean it with anything harmful. It sounds like maybe it is a dud. I am very glad it is being replaced because I LOVE my Aura!

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
cleaning the screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I mostly use the cloth that comes with my glasses, wettened, but I occasionnaly use a dishwashing sponge with a wee bit dishwashing product. When my glasses are very dirty, I've long used dishwashing product (applied with wet fingers).

I wouldn't recommend though using the synthetic dishwashing sponges which are the only ones available in many countries.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
SWCaffeinated
Enthusiast
SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Way Too Many Others
There are few companies I can say I truly am a fan of; Kobo is one of them. After starting with Amazon, then going to B&N, now am stuck on Kobo. They are offer great, unique products (my Mini goes EVERYWHERE with me and I pull it out whenever I'm in a line somewhere), my Aura HD is a pleasure to read from at home. The couple of times Ive needed support they've been there for me.

And, the bonus is to know I'm supporting a non-Amazon company. (Along with many other reasons) I try to avoid Amazon because it always seems like they're trying to push stuff to sell you; I don't get that "sales pitch" feeling from Kobo as much.
SWCaffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
manfred63
Connoisseur
manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I clean my screen with spit and my finger. No problem.

LG manfred63
Old 08-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #13
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfred63 View Post

LG manfred63
this is my favourite method, too: may sound gross, but no scratches and works perfectly well!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfred63 View Post
Doesn't that leave it smeared? Spit rarely dries completely clear, in my experience.

I use a microfibre cloth for fingerprints, and every now and then a cotton cloth just moist with a soapy solution (the kind of detergent you use for washing glassware).
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
manfred63
Connoisseur

Well it might be a bit smeared with spit but it's still cleaner than it was before. Kobo is for reading, that's just fine. I wouln't use soap. I don't like that.

LG manfred63