Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
brunobruno
brunobruno began at the beginning.

Device: iPad3
Exclamation Start page on fixed layout epub3

Hello!

I am hand coding a EPUB 3 Fixed-Layout Document, everything is going pretty well but I can’t get the file to open on the main content.

I’ve setup a guide in the OPF:

Code:
<guide>
    <reference type="cover" title="Cover" href="cover.xhtml" />
    <reference type="text" title="Start" href="pg_0003.xhtml" />
</guide>
I’ve added a landmark to the navigational doc:

Code:
<nav epub:type="landmarks">
    <h1>Guide</h1>
    <ol>
        <li><a epub:type="cover" href="cover.xhtml">Cover</a></li>
        <li><a epub:type="bodymatter" href="pg_0003.xhtml">Start</a></li>
    </ol>
</nav>
And also added a navPoint in the NCX:

Code:
<navMap>	
    <navPoint id="p1" playOrder="1">
        <navLabel>
            <text>Start</text>
        </navLabel>
        <content src="pg_0003.xhtml" />
    </navPoint>
</navMap>
Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Bruno
brunobruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Read about ePub 3 in our wiki and fixed layout ePub. ePub 3 does not support NCX for ePub 3 files. What app are you using to test this?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
curiousgeorge
Connoisseur
curiousgeorge began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, Kindle Fire
have you not added a spine?
curiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
brunobruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Read about ePub 3 in our wiki and fixed layout ePub. ePub 3 does not support NCX for ePub 3 files. What app are you using to test this?
Thanks for your reply. Did you know that Inclusion of NCX documents is actually recommended for forward compatibility? (Also noted in our wiki)

I think I made it following spec. The problem is when uploading to iBooks on my iPad3 it doesn’t seem to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
have you not added a spine?
Yes, just didn’t want to post a lot of code here. Let me know if you want me to upload the complete epub.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
curiousgeorge
Connoisseur
curiousgeorge began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, Kindle Fire
just curious but I always wonder why people may a fixed?? Any particular reason?
curiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunobruno View Post
Thanks for your reply. Did you know that Inclusion of NCX documents is actually recommended for forward compatibility? (Also noted in our wiki)

I think I made it following spec. The problem is when uploading to iBooks on my iPad3 it doesn’t seem to work.

Yes, just didn’t want to post a lot of code here. Let me know if you want me to upload the complete epub.
NCX can't be the only TOC for ePub 3 but can be included if there is sufficient similarity to ePub 2 to allow a reader to use it.

As you know from the wiki page, iBooks is not exactly following the ePub 3 specification, it is leading it. It has requirements that are different from the spec. It is likely that one of those additional requirements is causing the problem. Even ePub 2 books don't always work properly in iBooks.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Hello!
I am hand coding a EPUB 3 Fixed-Layout Document, everything is going pretty well but I can’t get the file to open on the main content.
Very few Reading Systems actually respect what you ask for in the <guide>, so it is not surprising that yours does not.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
brunobruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
just curious but I always wonder why people may a fixed?? Any particular reason?
It’s a picture book.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
brunobruno

Quote:
As you know from the wiki page, iBooks is not exactly following the ePub 3 specification, it is leading it. It has requirements that are different from the spec. It is likely that one of those additional requirements is causing the problem. Even ePub 2 books don't always work properly in iBooks.
Which additional requirements might couse a problem?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
brunobruno

Quote:
NCX can't be the only TOC for ePub 3 but can be included if there is sufficient similarity to ePub 2 to allow a reader to use it.
Am I missing something??
Old 03-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The NCX is something for ePUB2. If you want some form of backwards compatibility, you need/can include it in an ePUB3. However, it is not needed for an ePUB3.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Which additional requirements might couse a problem?
For starters you need a special file not required for ePub 3. The file is META-INF/com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml

This is not the first time Apple has required a special file. They also need one for embedded fonts. Of course the content of these extra files must meet their requirements.

Apple does not specify that the ePub be version 3.0 so it is likely that an ePub 2 formatted file can have fixed layout and it is not clear if the features of a 3.0 would be supported.

Dale
Old 03-30-2013, 01:50 AM   #13
brunobruno

Quote:
For starters you need a special file not required for ePub 3. The file is META-INF/com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml
Hi Dale, thanks for the reply, I have this file and it looks like this:

Code:
<display_options>
	<platform name="*">
		<option name="fixed-layout">true</option>
		<option name="specified-fonts">false</option>
		<option name="open-to-spread">true</option>
		<option name="orientation-lock">landscape-only</option>
		<option name="interactive">false</option>
	</platform>
</display_options>
There must be something that prevents opening on body-matter. It is just really hard to find what it is as the file validates and works correctly otherwise.

Tags
epub3, fixed-layout, guide, navpoint, start