Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #16
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
he's not new to the web/technology, in the interview he mentions reading forums back since the 90's.

however there is a difference between if it isn't broke don't fix it. and refusing to change. i don't know maybe he's refusal to upgrade was the reason it took him ten years to finish his book.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #17
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
i don't know maybe he's refusal to upgrade was the reason it took him ten years to finish his book.
In all fairness, eight of those years were spent waiting for Wordstar to load, am I right?
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
In all fairness, eight of those years were spent waiting for Wordstar to load, am I right?
Ah, I see you've used it before!
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:45 AM   #19
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile Oh, hear hear .............

".............But he was also concerned that digital piracy might do to the book industry what it did to the music industry. "

Yes, wouldn't it be a terrible thing if saved the book industry like it seems to have saved the music industry...........

I also note the ebook of "...Dragons" is an eco-friendly, new-technology embracing £11-99, a massive £3-- less than the hardback.

Glad to see no-one's complaining about that...............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #20
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Considering that he writes his novels using Wordstar on a Commodore64 (and no, I'm not making that up at all), I doubt he uses an ereader.

I have fond memories of WordStar.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #21
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The problem is the extra custom conversion process necessary to get it into a format that the publisher can even begin to work with.
WordStar to ascii text is a less than trivial conversion. But getting it off that 5 1/4 inch floppy disk might be a challenge.

Last edited by wodin; 08-15-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
WordStar to ascii text is a less than trivial conversion. But getting it off that 5 1/4 inch floppy disk might be a challenge.
Why on earth would anybody convert a source document for a novel into ascii text? You'd lose all formatting—italics, bolding, unicode characters, smart quotes.

The only reason I brought this (WordStar) up in the first place is that George's editor has been on record describing the walking cluster-f**k that his "word processor" of choice creates.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #23
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Why on earth would anybody convert a source document for a novel into ascii text? You'd lose all formatting—italics, bolding, unicode characters, smart quotes.

The only reason I brought this (WordStar) up in the first place is that George's editor has been on record describing the walking cluster-f**k that his "word processor" of choice creates.
WordStar had THOSE? Who knew?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Well it may not have supported unicode or smart-quotes, but that actually supports my theory that getting his source into a publisher-ready format (that certainly will require those features) is not a simple process.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #25
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
LOL that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I have fond memories of WordStar.
Hey what a coincidence I too have many memories of Wordstar, but my adjective uses a different four letter "f" word.

Back to the original post. In the blog I posted George has a picture of him holding an iRiver (google eReader) I wonder if he'll be using that reader.

One thing I do miss about physical books is the books stores I loved going to Borders/B&N buying a coffee and perusing books. But that is all really eBooks are just so much better than pBooks in every other way.

I belive once software continues to get better the old way of using books will disappear.

My son's school is starting to offer online text books or physical books. He opted for physical books but seriously debated getting online books.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #26
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Considering that he writes his novels using Wordstar on a Commodore64 (and no, I'm not making that up at all), I doubt he uses an ereader.
Yes, you're making it up. (WordStar, yes; C64, no. Hell, they didn't even make a C64 version of WordStar!)
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, you're making it up. (WordStar, yes; C64, no. Hell, they didn't even make a C64 version of WordStar!)
So sorry... DOS box vs C64. Yes, huge difference in terms of; "upgrade your workflow you goof!"

EDIT: Besides, WordStar at least had a shot at running on the C64 using the C64-CP/M-Cartridge.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-16-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #28
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So sorry... DOS box vs C64. Yes, huge difference in terms of; "upgrade your workflow you goof!"
At least the DOS box you can pop out the floppy and put it into a modern Windows machine without much hassle. C64... not so much!

Quote:
EDIT: Besides, WordStar at least had a shot at running on the C64 using the C64-CP/M-Cartridge.
Interesting. I had no idea there was such a thing!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
At least the DOS box you can pop out the floppy and put it into a modern Windows machine without much hassle. C64... not so much!
They eventually got around to making a floppy-drive peripheral for the C64.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Interesting. I had no idea there was such a thing!
It was very short-lived, and was basically incompatible with, well... nearly everything.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-16-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #30
ATimson
Evangelist

Quote:
They eventually got around to making a floppy-drive peripheral for the C64.
3.5"? Or only 5.25" that you can't buy anymore? And FAT or some other format Windows can't read without a specialty program?

Tags
android, author, fantasy, google, martin