Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
JE100 Vs JE200 (review with pics)

I own a JE100 and have been really pleased with it. In fact, it has been my reader of choice since I got it. I was in the market to get another one as a back up when the JE200 was introduced. The price difference is significant ($150), but I decided to take a chance.

I think I may have been the first to order and when I received it, it did not contain all the contents. The major missing item was the US AC adapter (mine was sent with a European charger). I immediately emailed both Jointech and Sales4online. I received a prompt response. That was when I was told the following from Sales4online:

“Thanks for your feedback, and sorry for wrong charger, and sorry for delay in your shipment due to Christmas and new year holidays. we will sure send you new one for USA Standard Also, the Unit you received was lacking some art work as printing materials, User manual etc due to its very new release. We will send you the user manual, a charger and if something else you feel is missing you can write us that we could add for your convenience. “

Luckily my charger for the JE100 fits and works. Also both devices can be charged via USB.

At first I was really excited since the cover included with the JE200 is nicer that the previous. The embossing on the cover is not as prominent. The inside is has a softer feel.

JE100 Cover Outside

JE200 Cover Outside

JE100 Cover Inside

JE200 Cover Inside

The new reader came with a screen protector pre-applied. At first I thought that something was wrong with my screen. I thought I saw scratches, but I guess it was the way the protector looked. I may take it off, because it sometimes interferes with the touch interface. For example, it is hard to get the stylus to register and I find myself tapping more and harder. I can see this as potential screen disaster if I am not careful.

Other than the cover I can see no immediate difference in the appearance between the two readers. As you can see in the photos (JE100 always on the Left) Jointech left off the model number in the lower left had corner.

Devices Top View

Devices Back View

It may just me, but the two devices seem to be different in size although the specs are the same. The JE100 is slightly narrower than and not as thick as the JE200. The JE200 has a heavier feel and could be due to the cover. It is still comfortable to hold and to use.

Bottom View

Side View

Sadly, I can’t recommend anyone to buy the JE200. I am considering sending it back and going with my first instinct and getting another JE1 00. Here’s why:

GUI: Jointech has taken something that was simple to use and made it complicated. The new UI looks nice, but navigation makes no sense. I get the sense that I am looping around in a file manager rather than a menu. I know that the new UI is meant to be a bonus but it is not. It took a lot of lot tapping to find my way to WIN CE. The Win CE exe is in the Extras Folder. I read the documentation that was onboard, but it was not very helpful. What I found most annoying was that when you turn on the device it is locked. Jointech says that it prevents unintended taps. So in order to get to anything I had to tap the number “1” key then the “2”, and finally “3”. Still this wasn’t a deal breaker for me as I intended to use Win CE almost exclusively. There should be a shortcut for Win CE on the bottom or at least an option to boot directly into Win CE.

Software: Just like the JE100 the JE200 comes with a 2 GB MicroSD card. Here I found MS reader, Mobipocket, MMCE (comic book reader), and Alreader. None were already installed. I installed MS reader without thinking. Now the cab file is gone. So if I had to hard reset, or if anything goes wrong, I don’t see any way I can reinstall the program, since everything was on the storage card rather than the device memory. If I didn’t know better, I would say that they got the software from reading this forum. There were no modifications. For example, in MS reader there is still no way to close the application (unless you use Task Manager). MS Reader is still Version 2.4.1 build 5323 and takes a long time to open. In my opinion, MS reader is slower on the JE200 than it is on my JE100. Mobipocket is version 5.3 build 582.

I emailed Jointech and now MS reader has been added to the download page. That is good news for JE100 users. These apps will also work for you.
The biggest disappointment for me is that I can’t get eReader to work on the device. I used my copy from the JE100 and received the error that it was not a Win CE file. I installed a newer eReader version (version 3.03fp) from ereader.com and the library view doesn’t work well in the portrait mode at all. Also the keyboard will not work when I am entering the unlock information. I had to connect an external keyboard to input my information. Overall I find it really frustrating to get started using it. Once I did get to actually reading the cursor kept flashing rapidly. I haven’t found a way to get rid of it yet. I asked Jointech about it and their response was,

“We have not tested the eReader software yet. I will check it and let you know about that soon.”

That was 5 days ago. Hopefully, this will be fixed.

I own a copy of dbnote. It works really well for note taking on my Q7. It installed on my JE100, but lines are squiggly. I was hoping that this behavior would not be present on the JE200. No luck there.

Db Note on the JE200

I also installed Calligrapher on the JE200, but removed it since it exhibited erratic behavior and doesn’t work in the portrait mode. I tried it on the JE100 and it would not install.

Other software: MMCE does work with the JE100. I have never used this application before since I don’t read comics. There are samples on the device, so I was able to test it and it does work.
What doesn’t Work: It could be me, but I couldn’t get flash to work. There are several samples on the device and when I tried to use them, the device froze. Jointech’s response was,

“For flash, you do not need any application. Just click on the flash file and it should run in the JE200 interface. For flash, you do not need to go to the Windows CE desktop. There is just one issue with Flash, that there should be no non-English should work fine.”

It still does not work.

Again, my advice is “Don’t buy this!!” Buy a JE100 which is cheaper, easier to use, and faster. If you still want one, then wait until Jointech gets this reader together. I hope once I receive the missing items and hear from Jointech on the problems I have, there will be some fixes. I am not one for holding hope for updates (not just this reader but all readers). There hasn’t been one for the JE100 and there is a definite possibility there won’t be one for the JE200. I have a feeling that in a few months we will see a JE300. I haven’t tested this device with a higher capacity memory card yet. I have one on order and will update when I get it, for what it is worth.
Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post

Software: Just like the JE100 the JE200 comes with a 2 GB MicroSD card. Here I found MS reader, Mobipocket, MMCE (comic book reader), and Alreader. None were already installed. I installed MS reader without thinking. Now the cab file is gone. So if I had to hard reset, or if anything goes wrong, I don’t see any way I can reinstall the program, since everything was on the storage card rather than the device memory. If I didn’t know better, I would say that they got the software from reading this forum.
I agree, and I find it really irritating. Back when I first announced the JE100, Jointech wouldn't talk to me (even though I was basically acting as their pr department). If they had involved me in the later stages of development, I could have found and tested WinCE reader software for them and they could have included that software on the JE100 when it shipped. That would have been useful, right?

BTW, if you want to keep a copy of a cab file, right click on the file and select properties. Make the cab file read only.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
Thanks Ellen for the review ! You confirmed my suspicion ... that the JE200 is really not worth the extra price just to get SDHC memory card support. What I didn't expect was some of the drawbacks you listed, as otherwise I would have expected the JE100 to be identical to the JE100 in terms of WinCE support.

Does the JE200 not use WinCE 5.0 ? Is it a different update release or something ?

Do you know if the MS Reader JoinTech has now made available, fixes the issue of NOT showing the 'X' button to close MS Reader ?

Thanks again for being the guinea pig for us and testing this decide early on ! I am still very happy with my JE100, and would probably end up getting another one as a back up while they are still available.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
StevenK
Enthusiast
StevenK began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Thanks for the very informative review. I'd like to get a JE100, but all the web site that sold it appear to be gone. Is there a place where it's possible to buy a JE100?
StevenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
bambi
Enthusiast
bambi began at the beginning.

Device: HX4700 Je100 EkenM003 WPDN NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by rana View Post
Do you know if the MS Reader JoinTech has now made available, fixes the issue of NOT showing the 'X' button to close MS Reader ?
I installed this "new" MsReader found on Jointech site on my JE100 yesterday, found that there's still no 'X' button to close the app.

Still looking for the way to close it, I got to reset the Je100 to get rid of the running programm!
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 02:10 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Are there any differences in the specs between the two? (memory, processor...)

(and it's default behaviour that installing from a cab file in WinCE/WinMob removes the cab file... Thanks for the tip on a way to keep them, Nate!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:26 AM   #7
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambi View Post
I installed this "new" MsReader found on Jointech site on my JE100 yesterday, found that there's still no 'X' button to close the app.

Still looking for the way to close it, I got to reset the Je100 to get rid of the running programm!
I use the task manager that comes with the WR-Tools ResInfo application to kill MS Reader when I need to close it. Clunky, but likely a bit easier than having to reset the device.

ResInfo is a freeware, and a good tool. You can find it here, as well as at many other WinCE freeware sites.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:30 AM   #8
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenK View Post
Thanks for the very informative review. I'd like to get a JE100, but all the web site that sold it appear to be gone. Is there a place where it's possible to buy a JE100?
What Website are you looking for? Looks like it is still available at Jointech's sales site (sale4online).
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Are there any differences in the specs between the two? (memory, processor...)
No. At least as far as the WinCE side.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
So, essentially, it's just a $150 piece of firmware? (and a somewhat sturdier casing and fancier cover...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
StevenK
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
What Website are you looking for? Looks like it is still available at Jointech's sales site (sale4online).
Thanks you so much! For some reason, when I tried to get to that site before it said it was a dead link. Not sure what the issue was, but your link works.

I have a SmartQ 7, but it is a little heavier and bulkier than I like. I really only want a device like this as an e-reader and the web browsing, music and video is just a bonus, so the JE100 gets the balance right for me. Page turning looks a little slow, but that's the only issue I can see.

Not sure what JoinTech is thinking by charging so much more for the JE200.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenK View Post
Thanks you so much! For some reason, when I tried to get to that site before it said it was a dead link. Not sure what the issue was, but your link works.

I have a SmartQ 7, but it is a little heavier and bulkier than I like. I really only want a device like this as an e-reader and the web browsing, music and video is just a bonus, so the JE100 gets the balance right for me. Page turning looks a little slow, but that's the only issue I can see.

Not sure what JoinTech is thinking by charging so much more for the JE200.
I seem to collect readers. Don't know why - i just love them. Currently I'm using a Pocketbook 360 (nice, small, lightweight) and my IPhone (tiny to read from but backlit so I use it more and more often) but I am ready for another device.

I've been driving myself crazy trying to decide what it is I want to buy next. I want a backlit device and the lure of all the upcoming tablets had me all excited. NEW! SHINY! FAST! BLING BLING!

Reality set in today and I realized, I don't NEED all that stuff! I just want to read! I ended up ordering a JE-100 today and am looking forward to it. I feel like a weight has been lifted of my shoulders!
Old 01-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
StevenK
Enthusiast

I'm am close to ordering a JE100 myself, but I want to see what Apple comes out with first.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
Katelyn
Addict

Anyone know a good email address for Jointech sales? I have tried to email them to ask a question and get an undeliverable bounce back.

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<online@sale4online.com>
send: RCPT TO:<online@sale4online.com>
recv: 572 <online@sale4online.com>... Unauthorized relay denied.

Nevermind. I found an old email I sent them and it went through. Here are the addresses in case anyone else ever needs a working address.

'sales@jointech.com.hk'
'support@jointech.com.hk'

Last edited by Katelyn; 01-25-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
StevenK
Enthusiast

BTW, I discovered that the links to the JoinTech sites work fine from my work PC, but on my home PC I get a DNS error. The DNS servers for my home ISP don't find the addresses for some reason. Something that I'm going to have to investigate.