Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you subscribe to cable or satellite television?
Yes, I enjoy watching cable TV shows. 20 29.41%
Yes, because the reception is so poor where I live that I can't get anything without it. 7 10.29%
Yes, I wouldn't, but other members of my family insist upon it. 1 1.47%
Yes, for another reason (please state). 10 14.71%
No, I'm not very interested in television. 15 22.06%
No, cable TV is just too expensive! 6 8.82%
No, for another reason (please state). 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #46
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
How would you know which channels were the ones you wanted to buy, if you didn't have them to sample? I always wonder that when people say they wish they could pick and choose the channels they get. I have TiVo, so I either watch the shows I'm interested in, or if "live" I look at other channels to see what kinds of shows they have that might interest me.
By the description and channels you've seen before? That's what I would do.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #47
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
Hmm, I vote for "I have cable". But I spent my free time reading, so my TV get unwatched. But I don't really mind because I've got a pretty good deal, 30.000 rupiah (about US$3) /month.
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #48
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I've always found it a very narrow-minded attitude for people who think that television (and movies) can't be a worthy, valid form of expression, entertainment, and art. They are even gleeful to admit that they own no TV. (Like the post above yours-- there should be an internet law that, as any discussion of TV grows longer, the chances of someone showing up to declare their pride at owning no TV approaches 100 percent.) Sure, most TV shows and most movies are garbage-- but so are most books. You have to pick and choose what you consider to be worth your time. If you shut yourself out entirely from an entire medium, you are screwing yourself out of a lot of worthy material.
Wow, since mine was the post above GA Russell's, were your comments addressed to me? If so, I think you read quite a lot into my post; I certainly didn't state that t.v. and movies "can't be a worthy, valid form of expression...." I was just answering a poll question--not trying to convince anyone else to make the same choice that I have. Live and let live; why be so confrontational?

Life is short, and as you say, I have to pick and choose how I spend my very limited free time. It just happens that I'd prefer to read, or do any of a number of other things, rather than watch t.v. Thanks for your concern about "screwing myself out of a lot of worthy material", but I'm getting by okay.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #49
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Wow, since mine was the post above GA Russell's, were your comments addressed to me? If so, I think you read quite a lot into my post
It isn't that you said that you don't own a TV-- it is that you said that you don't own a TV and gave a "big thumbs up." And that, yes, is so certain that in any thread about television someone will show up to show pride (like giving a thumbs-up) at not owning a TV that it is a well recognized, mocked meme.

http://www.davidkspencer.com/2008/10...even-own-a-tv/

http://stuffchristianslike.net/2008/...even-own-a-tv/

http://www.theonion.com/articles/are...own-a-tel,429/
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #50
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I chose No, other reason. I don't feel connected with todays television selections. I'll not even get into commercial's. With that said, I prefer to select my viewing by either purchasing DVD tv series that I enjoy or find something on Hulu.com that I enjoy watching. With these options I don't have to deal with commercials (at length) and I get to choose what I want to watch and when I watch it.

Currently I watch a lot of series from the 60's-70's that I watched as a kid. Oh... and I cannot forget to mention my favorite... Doctor Who (Nice Chap, all of them).

-Seth Williams
San Francisco, CA
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 02:52 AM   #51
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I read when I can't watch TV. It is a big reason why I have an ebook reader -- so much more easier for all those places that I can't take my television!
I read when I watch TV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitarywolf View Post
I'll not even get into commercial's.
Get into commercials??? Commercials are time outs, to read another page in your book, go to the bathroom, get something to drink, feed the cats, etc...

We always try to skip the commercials when watching TV. On Sunday, we always watch two shows. The first starts at 20:30. At that time I'll pause the decoder (HD decoder), and keep doing what I was doing. By the time it's 21:00, I'll start watching. Usually that gives me enough time to keep watching and skipping the commercials
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #52
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
the second most common answer is "I'm not interested in TV"
That could only happen in a forum like MobileREAD
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #53
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
We got the full package with satellite and HD. Plus the digital TV. Plus a very comfortable couch. Plus a well stocked bar. Since I am on MR, I spend most of my leisure time in front of this screen or entertaining on the net with friends, always on the same screen. Alienated? Who knows. Wife thinks yes. Maybe I should go back and let myself being brainwashed by the BooTube. As a matter of fact we were away for a week, with practically no net and no TV (because the baby monopolized it: we were in France where the TV for kids is quite nice) and we survived very well. Finally reading the papers and chatting among us. We should do this more often. There is a political talk show that we record every morning and that we playback when we go to bed. But I do not see it because the moment I hit the pillow I sleep like the candid soul I am. We might look at the soccer games, but my team is doing so badly that I do not see the point of it anyway. There is The US Open now, but I do not care about it any more. The only one that looks at TV in the family is the baby or my father in law when he visits. So the whole thing is really a waste of money. Like many others.
They have this new feature that seemed promising. They put on your disk a selection of films for a certain number of days, and you can either look at them or store them or forget about them. I have not looked at a single one of them..
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #54
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
The older I get the less I care about TV.

If you're young, it has a greater relevance. You friends will all be watching TV and you need to keep up to date to fit in.

Then too, after a lifetime of TV I find that I can't stomach the sitcoms that are on now. Only the faces have changed, the canned laughter is still the same, and still forced.

Have I gained better taste? No. I've lost tolerance for most of what I see on TV. Especially the commercials.

I watch so little TV that I would have to vote - My wife has cable TV, I have cable internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitarywolf View Post
With that said, I prefer to select my viewing by either purchasing DVD tv series that I enjoy or find something on Hulu.com that I enjoy watching. With these options I don't have to deal with commercials (at length) and I get to choose what I want to watch and when I watch it.
I agree 100%.

Every once in a while I'll glance at the wife’s TV just to see what she's watching. But I don't really care what's on.

If I die and go to hell, it'll be filled with commercials. I better be a good boy.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #55
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I wanted a choice that said Yes I subscribe but am about to drop them.

I have DirecTV and a lifetime TIVO subscription --- have had it for some 15 years or so...but I'm getting very tired to paying them $50 a month just to watch BBC America News, Dr. Who, NOVA and the History Channel + the local news. I'm just about ready to shut it off, but I'm miss most the NOVA and History Channel. If I knew I could get them (even days or weeks late) I'd drop DirecTV in an instant, but I'm not finding what I want on the internet or through any IPTV type service.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #56
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Like solitarywolf, I get the History Channel and others on DVD. If you think about it, it's just like buying books. You buy only those that you want.

I just finished Engineering an Empire.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #57
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Like solitarywolf, I get the History Channel and others on DVD. If you think about it, it's just like buying books. You buy only those that you want.

I just finished Engineering an Empire.

That could be an option.....

Will think on it, check it out. Do you order the DVD's from their website?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #58
SameOldStory
My True Self

It depends. Mostly I get gift certificates for birthdays and Christmas. Other times I wait for sales.

Sometimes I get it from the library, other times I just buy it.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #59
kennyc

Thx.....checking out the on-line right now....
Old 09-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #60
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
That's a cute photo, SameOldStory... we have three of those same plastic bowls!

While I'm one of those people who feel good about not even having a TV (yes, I'm one of those! ), because I know I would spend a ton of time in front of it and then regret it, I must admit that Internet is my TV, if you know what I mean. I can spend HOURS just browsing this and that... I'm trying, now, to get into the habit of making a list about what I want to do in the computer before even turning it on, so that don't end up just wasting my time in front of the OTHER hypnotic screen.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote