Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-20-2022, 03:46 PM   #1
Obiwanknobi
Obiwanknobi began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino
Keyboard shortcuts to own metadata

Hello, dear forum!
Is there a way or an addon to assign a keyboard shortcut to one's own metadata under "Edit Metadata"?
I like to work with the keyboard, but I have to use the mouse to select a single field for each book entry.
If I use tab keys, I have to press them several times, which makes the mouse faster again.
Obiwanknobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 04:32 PM   #2
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
I'm using Action Chains, Single Field Edit. One can assign a shortcut key for any action, which in this case is 'F' for adding a title as favourite:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap0977 2022-12-20, 18_28_40.png
Views:	55
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	198529
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 05:18 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Or
Preferences -> Advanced Section: Shortcuts

If you have no toolbar or menu for that; the default is Ctrl p on Windows or Linux.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 05:44 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obiwanknobi View Post
Hello, dear forum!
Is there a way or an addon to assign a keyboard shortcut to one's own metadata under "Edit Metadata"?
I like to work with the keyboard, but I have to use the mouse to select a single field for each book entry.
If I use tab keys, I have to press them several times, which makes the mouse faster again.
I edit in the book list. Press F2 in the first cell to be edited, enter a value (or not), tab to the next cell, enter a value (or not)… press Enter when finished.

Tips:
  • see attachment for relevant Tweak setting;
  • in an integer or float cell a ' ' (space) will clear the existing value;
  • in a date cell '-' will clear the existing value, and '=' will set a date cell to current date & time;
  • if you tab into a long text cell the long text editor will pop (not for Comments, because it can't be shown in the book list). I cloak long text cells with an 'If Set' icon;
  • in Tags or similar cells, a Shift+F2 will pop the Manage items dialogue.
Advantages for me:
  • I can determine the sequence of columns in the book list, which allows me to mingle standard and custom columns;
  • I can see the 'result' cell-by-cell in the Book Details panel;
  • I can make use of the Metadata Edit Copy and Paste actions.
  • I don't have to use the mouse
BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-12-21 094541.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	198530  

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-20-2022 at 05:55 PM. Reason: add attachment
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 06:15 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Assuming you are not on macOS Alt+accelerator key works. If you are on macOS you are out of luck.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 05:01 AM   #6
Obiwanknobi
Obiwanknobi began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino
Thank you very much for all the replies. I will try them out after Christmas and get back to you :-)
Obiwanknobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keyboard, shortcuts, user defined metadata