Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
jeremynpross
jeremynpross began at the beginning.

Device: none
PDF with text used graphically - Conversion Challenge

Dear Forum Users,

I have asked Kovid the following question and wonder if any of you may have an answer for me as well.

I am working with the publisher of "The Kingdom Experiment" to convert it from PDF to Kindle and other eBook formats.

Here's the book:
http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Experi...693916&sr=1-1#

The book is highly designed, with supergraphics type text, lots of white space, and a few images. We want to preserve the look of each page.

You can see the page layout via Amazon's "look Inside" here:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Experi...&sr=1-1#reader

I've tried Calibre conversion from the PDF and from a zip archive of 300 dpi JPG exports renamed as CBZ. I tried output as ePub and as Mobi.

None work perfectly to preserve page layout, stretching and misplacing text. Using the free mobi tool to convert preserves the look but makes the text way too blurry.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can do this conversion via the GUI in Calibre?

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know the first thing about using a command line, right down to where the commands are entered, what syntax to use and where there are spaces.

I'm on deadline to get this figured out and will appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,
Jeremy Ross
jeremyr@earthlink.net
jeremynpross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't think this is a task for calibre, or at least not calibre alone.

Formats like .mobi and .epub don't really have "pages", and so preserving the look of each page is difficult if not possible.

As I see it you have a couple options:

1) Convert the PDF pages to images and distribute mobi or ePub books made of images. This has many costs: huge file size, no searchability, no dictionary support, no reflow or zoom (though you can't have that and preserve the look anyway), but it will look exactly the same as the printed book.

2) Go back to the original source documents--not the PDF, but whatever they used to produce the PDF--and work with those. If you're working with the publisher, you should have access to those. Depending on what format they are, the route will be different. If it's, e.g., InDesign, that itself should have the ability to export to .epub...
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
cbz, conversion, design, preserve layout