Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-05-2015, 04:51 AM   #1
yatesco
yatesco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Workflow for computer -> M96?

Hi all, and Happy new year to you all!

I received my shiny new M96 and loving it. Unfortunately though, my dream of combining the joy of feedly, instapaper, kindle app etc. with e-ink died a miserable death drowing in admist the blurry smudge of those e-ink killing (page-turn) animations.

Instead I use the excellent calibre to transfer my e-books off the kindle onto the M96, which has worked great except for one or two books - fine.

My workflow for the day-to-day article reading is a bit convoluted:
- use my desktop to read blogs/feedly
- push any long articles I want to read to instapaper
- schedule calibre to download instapaper daily
- either wait till tomorrow or poke calibre to download instapaper
- plug in the M96 to the computer and sync

Some of this pain can be automated by using calibre companion which works great. The only problem is it isn't integrated with the M96 front page and I can't find a way to get calibre companion to launch on start up so it takes 3 or 4 stylus presses. Calibre companion also requires the stylus to move around in.

I was hoping for something more like:
- use my desktop to read blogs/feedly
- click a magic button
- pick up the M96 and read it

that magic button probably uses IFTTT to snatch the page, "readify" it, convert it to an ebook and then email it to an account configured on the M96.

On a related note - which ebook reader do you use with the M96? I tried a few but reverted back to the stock OnyxReader (turning off the header and footer makes it full screen and doesn't require the stylus). If only it had a better font - I long for the font from my (2nd gen) kindle 6"/Kindle DX.

So - any suggestions on how to improve this workflow? What useful things have you learnt on using the M96?

Thanks all!
yatesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #2
Bushwil
Bushwil began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Afterglow 2
I highly recommend InstaFetch, It will sync with your Instapaper account and has a check box for e-ink in the misc settings. It only requires Android OS 2.x and Wifi.

http://www.instafetch.com/

Last edited by Bushwil; 01-05-2015 at 12:44 PM. Reason: clarification
Bushwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
yatesco
yatesco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Thanks a bunch - that looks like it might be just the ticket. If it polls in the background then that would be awesome. Checking it out now...
yatesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #4
nknouf
Enthusiast
nknouf began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96 Universe
Depending on where you purchased your M96 from, and how much you annotate your books, you may not be able to export your annotations from the Onyx app. Because that's vital for me (academic reading), I've moved to Moon+ Reader Pro, which also allows me to use my own custom fonts as well. (I use the modified version of Charis SIL that's listed partway down this page: http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...te-ebook-font/ ) It's also one of the few apps that works with the forward and backward buttons (but not the directional stick). I haven't been able to reduce the animations entirely, but they're mostly gone (and a lot of the screen ghosting issues can be taken care of by occasionally forcing a full screen refresh by long pressing the menu button). If Neo Onyx Reader would allow for custom fonts, better line spacing and paragraph indentation control, and exporting of annotations, I'd use that in a heartbeat instead.
nknouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:55 AM   #5
fuli42
fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.fuli42 knows what's going on.

Device: Bokeen Odyssey, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx M96, Onyx i86
I'm using the Pocket app on the M96 and it works great!
You can use the volume buttons on the bottom to turn the pages. It automatically syncs with the Pocket service (desktop, iphone, web app).
The only feature that might be missing for you is the possibility to annotate the articles.
fuli42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, m96, workflow