Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #61
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Other than Kindles that leave the light on all the time, don't the others have the option to turn it off? Nobody said you had to use it. I see it on the road almost every day - some cars may have builtin turn signals, but their drivers don't use them.
Unfortunately they've got that extra layer to defuse the light, so they're not as clear as non front-lit eReaders. Otherwise it wouldn't be an issue for me.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:48 AM   #62
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Which others have you used? I've had a number of Sony devices over the years (PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, and T1) and have found them to be very much on a par with other mainstream reading devices. Certainly nothing exceptional about them.
I had all of them since the PRS 505, except the 900. I always felt and i still do that they are way better. I like the design to start with, they feel more like a book and less like a gadget. They are beautiful and they are exceedingly reliable.

The only kindle i have is the DX, and i would never put it at the same level of any Sony. Feels cheap, not only the material but the way it was thought of.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2014, 01:47 AM   #63
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
The online Sony shop in Australia does not have stock of the T3's.

I wonder if the T3 will quietly disappear from the available catalog online.

Glad I got my T3 last year.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:58 AM   #64
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
The online Sony shop in Australia does not have stock of the T3's.

I wonder if the T3 will quietly disappear from the available catalog online.

Glad I got my T3 last year.
They are still listed in the Sony Online Shop over here in NZ - Black, Red and White, NZD199.95 - Sony readers normally sell for less in the shops though.

But as I said earlier readers of any make are no longer given much, if any, space in my local shops now (including the chains), just rows of small tabs where there used to be a choice of 4 or 5 E Ink readers, except may find a Kobo tucked away on slow moving, low return shelf space somewhere.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:09 AM   #65
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Here, both Dick Smith and JB HiFi sell the Kindle and Kobo ereader respectively. They are quite prominently displayed in both stores.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #66
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Pretty much echoing many of your sentiments. It's a shame, to see them go, but hardly unexpected.
I'll run my 650 until it dies like I did with my 505. After that, who knows. I'm planning on replacing my 650 with the EARL tablet when it arrives as my primary reader anyways, so I guess we'll see. If I were to buy another dedicated reader, I'd probably go to a Kobo, if for no other reason than I really, really don't want to convert my entire library to mobi or awz or whatever from epub.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #67
VeggieCat
Bacon Enthusiast
VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10, Kindle Voyage, iPod Nano 7th gen (for audiobooks)
My first reader was a red 505 that's still floating around the house somewhere. I jumped on the Kindle wagon as soon as Kindle books were available at my library (that was the reason I didn't buy a Kindle in the first place, library books were only epubs back then). I was always impressed with the overall design of the 505.

Sony was the company that began my love affair with e-reading. I'm sad to hear this.
VeggieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #68
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The high-density plastic that most modern readers are made from is better at absorbing impact than metal is, because it's more elastic. Look at the bumper (fender) of any modern car - it's plastic, not metal, because it does the job better.

Look at the Kindle forum here at MR. Do you see any significant number of reports of broken PWs?
Yeah, actually I do. Take a look at amazon reviews and search for "broken" - there are quite a few. Some are outside of the 1 year warranty but that is my point, I want something that lasts more than 1 year. Ours is about 4 yrs old.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #69
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
Ours is about 4 yrs old.
So are a few of my Kindles. I haven't broken one yet.

My husband has, but he's a special sort of clumsy.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #70
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Pretty much echoing many of your sentiments. It's a shame, to see them go, but hardly unexpected.
I'll run my 650 until it dies like I did with my 505. After that, who knows. I'm planning on replacing my 650 with the EARL tablet when it arrives as my primary reader anyways, so I guess we'll see. If I were to buy another dedicated reader, I'd probably go to a Kobo, if for no other reason than I really, really don't want to convert my entire library to mobi or awz or whatever from epub.
Converting to AZW3/MOBI costs nothing but disk space. If disk space is a problem for you, then go with a Kobo.

But if you are just concerned about the effort of doing all those conversions, I feel obliged to point out that you can queue hundreds of conversions right before you go to bed, and leave calibre churning overnight. When you get up in the morning it will all be done.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:40 AM   #71
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
But do you not like them because they have a front light, or because they are not Sony?
Because they are too bright when reading in the dark. I find that harder on the eyes than a smart phone in night mode and dimmed. I wouldn't buy a sony front lit reader either.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:40 AM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
Yeah, actually I do. Take a look at amazon reviews and search for "broken" - there are quite a few. Some are outside of the 1 year warranty but that is my point, I want something that lasts more than 1 year. Ours is about 4 yrs old.
A lot of people do not use a cover. So they get broken because there's no cover to protect the Reader. Even Amazon shows the Kindle being used without a cover in their TV ads.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:46 AM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had a 500, 505, 600, 650, and now a T1 and not a single one ever had screen damage.

The 650 is about 4 years old and the T1 is almost 3 years old. The 505 was about 3 years old when it developed a fault with the screen controller. I then got it swapped for a 600 which I then sold as I hated the reflective screen. I bought the 650 when it came out and and I still have it. The T1 was bought when it came out and was on special from Sony. The 500 was bought from Borders way back when and eventually traded in in one of the trad-in offers for a different reader (cannot remember which one). But none of them ever had a broken screen.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-06-2014 at 01:48 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:26 AM   #74
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've had a 500, 505, 600, 650, and now a T1 and not a single one ever had screen damage.

The 650 is about 4 years old and the T1 is almost 3 years old. The 505 was about 3 years old when it developed a fault with the screen controller. I then got it swapped for a 600 which I then sold as I hated the reflective screen. I bought the 650 when it came out and and I still have it. The T1 was bought when it came out and was on special from Sony. The 500 was bought from Borders way back when and eventually traded in in one of the trad-in offers for a different reader (cannot remember which one). But none of them ever had a broken screen.
Good heavens. So many people who have already had a half-dozen different devices by now. I now have my iLiad 5.5 years, and it's still working, and the battery is still near starting performance. Am I a bad person for not replacing it yet?
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:10 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
Good heavens. So many people who have already had a half-dozen different devices by now. I now have my iLiad 5.5 years, and it's still working, and the battery is still near starting performance. Am I a bad person for not replacing it yet?
If the iLiad is still working for you and doing what you want, then by all means, don't replace it.

Let's see... The 500 the screen is the 1st gen eInk so the 505's screen was that much better that the 500 had to be replaced. The 505 developed a fault in the screen controller and was replaced with a 600. The 600 was then sold because I disliked the touch layer and it's reflectiveness. The 650 was bought to replace the 600. The T1 I inherited. So I still have the 650 and the T1. Oh, I also have a nook STR that I dislike because the firmware on it is lousy, The home screen is so busy and crapped u with B&N books online that it's almost worthless. That and the pitiful memory for sideloading. But the nook STR I did buy for just over $20.