Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-21-2016, 04:28 AM   #2116
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@jscris: Not Yet Implemented. Patches welcome, this keeps getting thrown to the bottom of the pile of things to do .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #2117
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@jscris: Not Yet Implemented. Patches welcome, this keeps getting thrown to the bottom of the pile of things to do .
Thanks. I'm sure there are plenty more important things to do. As long as I'm reading one book and not switching, it's possible to also put the same book in azw3 format on the kindle, open it once, and use cover mode so that cover will show while I'm reading the same epub with koreader. But it's a pita. Had I not discovered how much I like nightmode at night, I might not need koreader.

Last edited by jscris; 07-21-2016 at 02:40 PM.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2016, 09:59 PM   #2118
mlepen
mlepen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
stuck on standard screensavers

I may be a bit over my head here, but I've come so far, and I'd be so grateful if someone would help me finish this. I've jailbroken my kindle paperwhite 2 6th generation, I've installed KUAL and MRPI. Using KUAL, I've installed the screensaver extension. I have the screensaver menu in the launcher, but I've never gotten the screensaver that indicates it's working. I just keep getting the standard screensavers (not special offers). I've flagged the screensaver extension for complete uninstall, and then reinstalled it again through KUAL. I've done multiple framework restarts through KUAL, as well as restarted through the kindle settings menu, and I always make sure that nothing is plugged in when I do that. I haven't put any of my own screensavers in the folder, so it can't be that my image files are wrong. Neither the last feature nor the cover feature work either. I've read through all the FAQs, etc. that I can find here, and I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. My thanks to anyone here willing to walk me through this!

-michelle
mlepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:58 PM   #2119
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Have you installed Python?
Are you using the packages posted in NiLuJe's snapshots thread?
(prefix filter: tools, click: show threads)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #2120
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@mlepen: Did the install process through MRPI actually succeed?

Do you actually now even *see* a linkss folder at the USB root of the Kindle?
Advert
Old 07-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #2121
mlepen
mlepen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Yes, I installed python. No, I did not got to the snapshots thread to install anything. The files I installed are:

kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N
update bin 5.8.1
kual v2.7
kual helper 0.5.N
kual mrinstaller 1.6.N
kindle linkss 0.24.N
kindle python 0.14.N-pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_kt3

The install process appears to me to have been successful (apart from the fact that it doesn't work). Yes, I see the linkss folder at the root of my kindle.

Last edited by mlepen; 07-26-2016 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added screenshots
mlepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:19 PM   #2122
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@mlepen:

Huh.

Well, let's check everything.

PM me the MRPI logs (extensions/mrinstaller/log/mrinstaller.log), as well as recent system logs (reboot the device, wait for it to settle, enter ;dm in the Homescreen's search bar, send me the *_system_* log that'll dump in the documents folder).
Old 07-26-2016, 03:31 PM   #2123
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Hi, I assume this will work with PW3 using FW 5.8.1. I know it says 5.x on the first post, but just want to make sure.

Edit: Am actually reading on the jailbreak post that I would need to downgrade firmware.

Need to give some thought as to whether I actually want to do that...

Last edited by foghat; 07-26-2016 at 03:37 PM.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:55 PM   #2124
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@foghat: Yup .

FWIW, if it's the downgrade part giving you pause, it's roughly the same process used for official firmware updates, so it's not as if we were doing some weird voodoo crap .
But do pause, read up and think about it, that's always a good approach .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-26-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #2125
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Hi, I assume this will work with PW3 using FW 5.8.1. I know it says 5.x on the first post, but just want to make sure.

Edit: Am actually reading on the jailbreak post that I would need to downgrade firmware.

Need to give some thought as to whether I actually want to do that...
If you are reading the correct (current and maintained, mine) jailbreak post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877

Read all the way to step #7 (including the spoiler) before wasting too much time thinking about it while still uninformed.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #2126
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@foghat: Yup .

FWIW, if it's the downgrade part giving you pause, it's roughly the same process used for official firmware updates, so it's not as if we were doing some weird voodoo crap .
But do pause, read up and think about it, that's always a good approach .
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you are reading the correct (current and maintained, mine) jailbreak post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877

Read all the way to step #7 (including the spoiler) before wasting too much time thinking about it while still uninformed.
Thanks.

I was indeed reading an older thread (linked from redit or something).

So long story short, one can jailbreak and then get the latest FW running again?

Bascially: downgrade, jailbreak, re-install fw 5.8.1 via amazon firmware link.

Once jail broken and again running the latest FW, can the screen saver hack be installed? Or should it be installed while after jail broken but still with downgraded FW?
Old 07-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #2127
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
After you update again.

The reason is because firmware updates completely overwrite the rootfs.
The jailbreak survives because of the "bridge", but all other update_*.bin style hacks must be reinstalled after a firmware update.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #2128
foghat
Evangelist

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #2129
foghat
Evangelist

Okay, got jail broken and udpated to FW 5.8.1.

I am not having luck installing Update_python_0.14.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_kt 3.bin

I copy to my root (same level as documents).

When go to 'update your kindle' it is greyed out. Plug the device back in and I see the bin file has been deleted. Have tired this a couple of time with the same results.

Any thoughts.

Edit, I have a PW3.

Last edited by foghat; 07-26-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:40 PM   #2130
knc1
Going Viral

Allow me to quote part of the hotfix post (from directly above where the attachment is at):
Quote:
If you're coming straight from the 5.6.5 JB or the Factory Downgrade threads and you completely skipped the first post of *this* thread, be aware that on FW >= 5.5.x (i.e., you), using MRPI is REQUIRED to install every other custom packages!
Does that help you answer your question about why the install package disappears?

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch