Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Beerman
Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.

Device: Ipad 2
How can I remove these strange ? marks in my books?

I'm using iBooks on an iPad 2 and have a number of books by different authors, all in epub format (no DRM). I use Calibre to copy the books to my iPad and have noticed that almost every page in every book has some ? symbols, mostly where apostrophe's go but in other places as well.
I've tried converting to other formats but it makes no difference. Some of the free domain books have this but not nearly as much as the paid for books. I have no problem on my wife's Kindle with these same books.
What's up with this?
Thanks for any suggestions you have to get rid of these bothersome symbols.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	text.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	73402  
Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
I'm using iBooks on an iPad 2 and have a number of books by different authors, all in epub format (no DRM). I use Calibre to copy the books to my iPad and have noticed that almost every page in every book has some ? symbols, mostly where apostrophe's go but in other places as well.
I've tried converting to other formats but it makes no difference. Some of the free domain books have this but not nearly as much as the paid for books. I have no problem on my wife's Kindle with these same books.
What's up with this?
Thanks for any suggestions you have to get rid of these bothersome symbols.
By declaring the correct code page for conversion
Tip; try CP1252

Those are symbols that do not appear in the default code page on your system (and the document did not properly declare encoding)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Beerman
Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.

Device: Ipad 2
Thanks. Had to figure out how to do that but a search of these forums and the Help function in Calbre pointed it out. It looks like it worked on 1 book 100% but a second book has only marginally gotten better.
Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
It's probably because the second book isn't cp1252, there are many potential encodings. Also some books, depending on the source, have gone through multiple levels of munging by people who didn't understand encodings, and now have multiple encodings in the same file - in those cases they can only be fixed by hand using search and replace in a text editor.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote