Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
physics
Enthusiast
physics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
beta as a subscript on kindle dx

Hello all-

I'm having a very unusual problem with my kindle dx, which I was wondering if anyone else has, or has seen similar behavior. I make pdf's myself (of research, problem set solutions, etc.) with Latex, and I like to keep them on my kindle. Of course, these often have math equations (my username is physics, after all...), and I've noticed that whenever I have a "beta" (the Greek letter) in a subscript, it gets shown on top of the previous letter in the kindle pdf viewer. This doesn't happen in the adobe ereader, or evince, or any other pdf viewer I've managed to find- just the kindle one.

I don't know how many math/science geeks are out here who use latex, but has anyone else seen this behavior? (If anyone's wondering, an ugly hack that fixes this is to write \phantom{\,}_{\beta} in your latex code; on a normal pdfviewer it makes an ugly space before the beta, but it is correct on the kindle.)

I've attached a pdf of various mathematical symbols with subscripts; on my kindle only the last beta appears ok. All other subscripts (in the pdf) besides beta are ok. I'd really appreciate it if someone with a kindle 3 could take a look at it. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf test.pdf (24.3 KB, 238 views)
physics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
physics
Enthusiast
physics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enough

Actually, I've discovered that this happens even if beta is not in a subscript.
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Here's what it looks like zoomed in on a Kindle 3 running the new 3.1 update:
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
physics
Enthusiast

Thanks. It looks like that didn't get fixed. :-( Maybe next time...