Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 05:05 AM   #31
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Then she was wrong in that she made a sweeping statement that cannot be held as "true". I read more now on my Nook Color than I did on my Nook Classic or Kindle 3.
Following the many debates on this forum, majority prefer to read on eInk based gadget, because they feel it is less taxing for eyes. So, her advice was very good, except one thing - documentation. I don't know about nook and nook colours feature and accordingly to wallcraft, colour version is a lot more capable. If that's true, then I agree with Sweetpea that she was clearly wrong to dismiss Nook colour as a toy.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #32
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
However, you have to realise that customers nowdays are mightily fed up with pushy, incompetent, untrustworthy, dishonest sales persons who would sing songs to sell what corporate wants to sell
Yep. A part of the reason, I think, that Circuit City failed. I was very happy to see them go out of business after their trying to shove Divx down everyone's throats.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 07:41 AM   #33
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
What are you talking about? The rep replied "it's a toy". You think that's appropriate? Wow...

I agree with you completely.

He is under the employ of B&N and should have answered in a more diplomatic way. He was not hired to express his opinion.

If his opinion goes against his personal ethos, then he needs to quit so that he can then express his opinion.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #34
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I agree with you completely.

He is under the employ of B&N and should have answered in a more diplomatic way. He was not hired to express his opinion.

If his opinion goes against his personal ethos, then he needs to quit so that he can then express his opinion.
I hear boss is talking here, not a customer.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #35
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
A bit of a Gerald Ratner moment... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Ratner

Mind you, Ratner was the CEO - I don't think he'd have taken kindly to someone working in one of his shops saying the same thing.

A lot of customers wouldn't have felt they could disagree with the shop assistant by choosing the NC without feeling foolish for buying a frivolous 'toy.'

Last edited by Richey79; 12-10-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #36
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Following the many debates on this forum, majority prefer to read on eInk based gadget, because they feel it is less taxing for eyes. So, her advice was very good, except one thing - documentation. I don't know about nook and nook colours feature and accordingly to wallcraft, colour version is a lot more capable. If that's true, then I agree with Sweetpea that she was clearly wrong to dismiss Nook colour as a toy.
I wasn't sure, so I checked it out

And it's not so much that her advice in itself was false (not counting the second question...), it's the way she presented it.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #37
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey79 View Post
A lot of customers wouldn't have felt they could disagree with the shop assistant by choosing the NC without feeling foolish for buying a frivolous 'toy.'
Then they are fools indeed. Shop assistant or not, they have their own brains to judge all the merits.
As a rule of thumb, when you part with your hard earned money, you don't let any sales person to influence you like that.

Last edited by astra; 12-10-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #38
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I wasn't sure, so I checked it out

And it's not so much that her advice in itself was false (not counting the second question...), it's the way she presented it.
To be honest (I didn't want to say it but...), how do we know the exact wording of the conversation. We are aware only of OP's interpretation
Old 12-10-2010, 09:23 AM   #39
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't see the word "toy" as derogatory I think of all of my electronic devices as "toys" because I use them to have fun. To me, this translates as a salesperson saying "this cheaper device will do everything you need it to, no reason to spend more money".
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #40
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The rep was absolutely selling the device short. The NC does what the Nook doesn't... it reads full color magazine content that cannot be read on the Nook as easily or in as good a quality experience. That, to me, doesn't constitute being a "toy."

But then, based on what I've been hearing and experiencing at B&Ns, the quality of their Nook reps isn't stellar anyway... so I can't say I'm surprised at such a bad representation of the device. Seems to me B&N reps really aren't interested in pushing the devices... they do what they're told, "stand there and answer people's questions," and that's it. It's a shame, considering those devices may be the only viable future their company has...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #41
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
she also could just be a die hard eink fan. But I agree with SCION, though, you do have a professional responsibilty to the products you sell.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #42
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
To be honest (I didn't want to say it but...), how do we know the exact wording of the conversation. We are aware only of OP's interpretation
good point and being the fact that the OP is a Kindle owner, could be up to something
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #43
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
or there could be a completely different angle to this whole story. maybe she was TOLD to push the Nook because they have a bunch they need to move out the door
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #44
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
If you're running low on something, sell what you have on the floor. Maybe they were running low on NCs?
That was my thought when I read this thread.
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #45
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
If I were the customer, I would have dissed her for not knowing what she was selling.

You're an educated knowledgeable customer. The two ladies who stopped by the counter and asked the questions were not.

This would have been a predicament for me too: how do you represent your employer and his product...if you don't believe in it? She obviously decided that her allegiance was to what she considered to be the truth.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barnes & noble, nook, nook color, toy