Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-30-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
Manilaborn
Manilaborn began at the beginning.

high Contrast reader

Hi all,

I am looking for a birthday present for my brother. He is a voracious reader but because of impaired vision he reads on a PDA (Axim), this is so he can increase the font size and have a yellow lettering on a black background which is most comfortable for him.
I'd like to get him something like his PDA but with a larger screen, touch screen not necessary.
Is there something out there with at least a 7" screen, can increase the font size of books and change the background and font color?
I was thinking about an old tablet PC like a TC1100 by HP. It's a little overkill just for reading, not to mention spendy.
I looked at the Sony Reader at Borders and it's a nice size and weight but the screen looks nothing like a book (more like my old clie PDA) or the photos on the website. Plus can't change the color. I admit I only played with it for a few minutes so maybe I missed somethig.
Any ideas or leads would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Manilaborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:20 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If price were no object, I would suggest an Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC). Many of these have 7" 800x480 screens and come with Windows XP, which means there are about a dozen software e-reader packages that work with UMPC's. For more information see umpcportal.

One of the cheapest UMPC's is the Pepper Pad 3, which runs Linux rather than Windows XP. This makes a really nice e-book reader - it comes with a basic version of the Mobipocket Reader pre-installed and the "free" FBReader software is also available. Both software readers are customizable for what you want (colors, font size etcetera), but the MobiPocket Reader always has a white background. For screenshots see MobiPocket Java Reader on Pepper Pad 3. In the screenshots I am using black text on a white background, but this is completely customizable in FBReader and somewhat customizable in MobiPocket. The PP3 is at the low end of UMPCs, but even it is $650 on Amazon. There is a Pepper Pad 2, which actually has a slightly larger screen and may be available used (it was for sale new until last month) - but it uses a different microprocessor and I'm not exactly sure what e-book capability it has (there is definitely a version of FBReader, but I'm not sure about MobiPocket Reader). You could ask on the Pepper Forums.

I can also recommend the Nokia 770, which is $275 on Amazon with a 800x480 screen - but the screen is only 4.1" (vs the 7" PP3 screen). This may be a step up from the Axim, but perhaps not enough to make it worthwhile. Also, the only available e-book reader software is FBReader and this does not read DRMed e-books. Screenshots of the Nokia 770 are essentially identical to those from FBReader on the PP3, because both have a 800x480 screen. The only difference is the number of pixels per inch.

On the subject of DRMed books, if your brother is buying encrypted books then he may already be tied to a particular vendor's e-books (because these are often not transferable to a different reader). This may limit your choices if you want to stay compatible.

Last edited by wallcraft; 04-30-2007 at 11:58 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manilaborn
I looked at the Sony Reader at Borders and it's a nice size and weight but the screen looks nothing like a book (more like my old clie PDA) or the photos on the website.
I'm a bit curious about what you mean my that. It seems most of us who use it do so BECAUSE it looks most like paper typesetting. I would be interested in what other criteria you are looking at.

I would also agree with you that none of the current e-ink technology based readers will be suitable for your needs. The suggestions above are definitely good ones that you might look into. Since I read with both the eReader and a tablet I can understand some of what you are asking for. Maximum size, color and size choices are very important.

On the bright side, if you do decide to get a small tablet you could probably just use the cheapest convertible model you can find if it will be used mostly as a reader. It really doesn't take much in the way of HD, CPU, ram or graphics to make a decent reader. Even what would be considered an obsolete model would be more than adequate. They would be more expensive than the Nokia or Pepper Pad but the trade off would be a much larger screen as well as a more storage on the unit itself.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Manilaborn

thanks for the response wallcraft, I will check out the Pepper Pad. I'd never even heard of that but I think it might be overkill for a reader though I could see some uses for myself.
Thanks for your response too stxopher, what I meant by my comment is while the typesetting is quite sharp, I was surprised by the graininess of the screen and strong bluish tint to the background, not at all like the website photos. I've since seen videos of the Sony Reader and I really believe I was doing something wrong or the one I was looking at was defective. In the videos the background is a nice bright white.
I really like the Sony Reader's price and form factor. I'm going to check it out again.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If it is just for e-books without DRM, then the PepperPad2 (+FBReader) is almost certainly the cheapest option with a 7" LCD screen - and it still seems to be available new at ecost.com .

Note that you can probably see a Nokia 770 or N800 (identical screens) at CompUSA. Check their web site for local availability. The PepperPads are only available over the Internet.
Advert
Old 05-01-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
stxopher
Nameless Being

Okay, THAT I can understand (background-wise). In normal lighting the contrast is not near what it looks like in ad photos. Outside or in very bright light it can be close but in normal light....no. Unfortunately for your needs, all the standard e-ink displays are lacking due to normal use contrast issues. It sounds like you really need something with a good backlit screen which leaves current e-ink devices out of the picture.

Right now (as far as I know) all the e-ink devices will have excellent typesetting with contrast levels of "meh" due to varying degrees of gray making up the background. This makes it fine for people ranging from good eyesight to distance problems (since the fonts can be enlarged as needed). For dim vision a display using more contrast is usually needed (which is where a nice LCD screen is very useful).

If you can, take a look at the Nokia mentioned earlier too. It's cheaper than the Sony but being backlit might provide a better reading experience for this situation. A plus is that they are easy to find in any major electronics store.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader

There is a new post on TeleRead about the Web DT 375 CE 8.4″ Touchscreen Tablet PC, which reportedly can run MobiPocket Reader and perhaps other Windows CE e-book reading software.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
Manilaborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft
There is a new post on TeleRead about the Web DT 375 CE 8.4″ Touchscreen Tablet PC, which reportedly can run MobiPocket Reader and perhaps other Windows CE e-book reading software.
wallcraft, this looks more like what I'm looking for. The Nokia isn't much bigger than the screen on an Axim and the Pepper Pad is a little pricey. I think my brother uses Mobipocket and Ereader which used to have a WinCE version. He's not a gadget freak like me so whatever I get him really has to be a better reading experience for him than his Axim. This may be the way to go.

thanks guys
Old 05-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #9
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I have a HP/Compaq TC-1000, and one of my intial reasons for getting it was to use it for reading all of the PDF's techie books I have; unfortunately I never used it for that (not too much anyway). Don't get me wrong, it's lighter than the convertables but still a little hefty if you have to hold it in the crook of your arm for too long. It gets a tad warm after it's been on for a while, but if you're only going to be reading books then I don't think it will get too hot. I guess I never found too much time to use it for an eReader. Spiffy TabletPC and the original battery I had could get me almost 6 hours if I wasn't using wireless. If it's any representation of how much I liked it, I bought mine about 3 1/2 years ago and just recenty pivked up a new laptop (after I just bought a new battery to boot, ack!).

Good luck finding what works for you, I'm sure you'll find something.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader

I assume your buying choice has been made, but for completeness teleread has just test driven the Web DT 375 CE.