Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 08-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #46
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
And why in the world doesn't the very popular and informative "Current Audiobook Specials" thread get a sticky when they're being handed out to just about every other thread?

Of course, even better would be an audiobooks subforum.
The thread is now stuck.

Personally, I no longer think audiobooks deserves its own subforum. I think it deserves its own major forum, perhaps between "E-Book Formats" and "E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library." But that's my 2 cents.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #47
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The thread is now stuck.

Personally, I no longer think audiobooks deserves its own subforum. I think it deserves its own major forum, perhaps between "E-Book Formats" and "E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library." But that's my 2 cents.
Thank you.

Forum, subforum, I dunno--just someplace where we can discuss audiobooks!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #48
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The thread is now stuck.

It really, really does! But I think we could settle for a subforum.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #49
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

It really, really does! But I think we could settle for a subforum.
If you only want to talk about audio books a subforum could be ok but if we do audio we are thinking about all things audio so it is eBooks, audio book readers and reading, audio book generation, audio book formats, perhaps even TTS and other fringe audio discussions. Even audio for the blind. Audio in our wiki covers quite a few things. I suspect there may be even more.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #50
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If you only want to talk about audio books a subforum could be ok but if we do audio we are thinking about all things audio so it is eBooks, audio book readers and reading, audio book generation, audio book formats, perhaps even TTS and other fringe audio discussions. Even audio for the blind. Audio in our wiki covers quite a few things. I suspect there may be even more.

Dale
Given this info it certainly seems that there's a case for an audio forum rather than sub-form.....
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #51
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
That's better still. I was agitating slightly on the basis of what might be possible, but I agree with your thinking. In fact, I've thought that a perceived anti-audio bias was rather insensitive to those for whom audiobooks are the best/only option for consuming books, given disabilities. In any case, there's a fair amount of overlap, as Amazon's agressive marketing of whispersync titles shows.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #52
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm going to be a dissenter, here. I see no need for an audiobook forum. Audio books are books. Yes, the narrator changes the experience, but it's still a book. I can happily discuss them in any thread or forum they appear in. When I want to talk about bargains, they happily belong in the bargains forum. When I want to talk about what I'm reading or what I thought of what I just read, they belong in Recommendations. And when there's news about them, they belong in News or possibly General.

Full disclosure: I happen to think that overfragmentation of fora makes it harder to find things, not easier. And our current level of activity doesn't overly push threads out of visibility, IME.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #53
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm going to be a dissenter, here. I see no need for an audiobook forum. Audio books are books. Yes, the narrator changes the experience, but it's still a book. I can happily discuss them in any thread or forum they appear in. When I want to talk about bargains, they happily belong in the bargains forum. When I want to talk about what I'm reading or what I thought of what I just read, they belong in Recommendations. And when there's news about them, they belong in News or possibly General.

Full disclosure: I happen to think that overfragmentation of fora makes it harder to find things, not easier. And our current level of activity doesn't overly push threads out of visibility, IME.
Integration within the existing forum structure would work, provided additional categories were added (additional categories in purple). Here are some examples:

E-Book Readers
  • Which one..., Amazon, Android, Apple, Audiobook Players, B&N, Kobo, etc
E-Book Software
  • Calibre, Calibre Companion, Sigil, etc
  • AudibleManager, iTunes, OverDrive Media Console, Windows Media Player, etc
E-Book Formats
  • Workshop, ePub, Kindle Formats, PDF, Other formats
  • Audible, MP3, OverDrive, WMA, etc
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #54
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post

I can see what you're saying, but while audiobooks might be books, they're a specialized subset of books. I think topics related specifically to audiobooks would easily be crowded out in the other forums. I also think that a dedicated area is not just for the convenience of those of us who enjoy audiobooks, but would make it easier for people who don't give a darn about them to avoid the topics.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #55
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can see what you're saying, but while audiobooks might be books, they're a specialized subset of books. I think topics related specifically to audiobooks would easily be crowded out in the other forums. I also think that a dedicated area is not just for the convenience of those of us who enjoy audiobooks, but would make it easier for people who don't give a darn about them to avoid the topics.
A dedicated forum is the best option. It keeps everything audiobooks in one place, making it extremely easy for even the newest member to find something. For those not interested in audiobooks, a simple tap on the "-" sign in the forum header (far right) will collapse the entire forum so that it disappears.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #56
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
A dedicated forum is the best option. It keeps everything audiobooks in one place, making it extremely easy for even the newest member to find something. For those not interested in audiobooks, a simple tap on the "-" sign in the forum header (far right) will collapse the entire forum so that it disappears.
As a disinterested party, I would concur with this assessment.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:23 PM   #57
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Just my observations after living with the expanded "Sticky" section for a while.

I can adapt to just about anything, but the expanded sticky section is much less convenient for me. I do a lot of my browsing on my netbook, and the sticky section now takes up nearly the whole screen. In the past, with active categories "bubbling up" to the top, it was easy to keep track of new entries, while inactive entries would slip to back pages. Now, new entries that don't make it into a "Monthly" thread are below all the stickies, even the inactive ones, and may not even be on the first page.

Again, I can learn to use the new set-up, and I appreciate it, but it is less convenient for me.

As far as Audiobooks go, they are sufficiently different from etext, and a large enough field, that I think they'd work best in their own forum.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #58
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
I also think that a dedicated area is not just for the convenience of those of us who enjoy audiobooks, but would make it easier for people who don't give a darn about them to avoid the topics.
It would also make it way easier for those of us who are just starting to discover audiobooks to get technical help, or any other help we might need with exploring this very unique medium that we know next to nothing about. If I am having issues with navigating my new audiobook on my mp3-player, which current forum do I post that in? Alternative Devices is the only one that makes sense, but I have no reassurance at all that the community's audiobook experts frequent that forum, so personally am more likley to turn to google for assistance.

A dedicated audiobook forum would make considerably easier for those who need it to get help with not just how to use audiobooks, but where to find them, how to configure and use software that manages them, and so on and so forth. Those who don't use audiobooks at all will never have to see anything about them. Win-win.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #59
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
If I am having issues with navigating my new audiobook on my mp3-player, which current forum do I post that in? Alternative Devices is the only one that makes sense, but I have no reassurance at all that the community's audiobook experts frequent that forum, so personally am more likley to turn to google for assistance.
I never look there. Moving threads to that sub-forum is the kiss-of-death as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:13 AM   #60
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
making it extremely easy for even the newest member to find something
If this would be a valid argument: why make all these proposals in "FREE / BARGAIN genre threads" and not in the thread "Audiobook or Audible subforum" that sits directly beneath this one???

Like CRussel I see the problem that a separat Audiobook subforum could split book discussions that should go together. But I also see the point that it might improve the structure, tidiness and organization of this forum.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote