Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
Help finding a Peter Robinson ebook

Hi all - not sure where to post this ... hope this is the right place.

Today I bought A Necessary End by Peter Robinson from Amazon. Sadly, "someone" has neglected to edit the PDF conversion and the mobi is completely unreadable, being all one huge slab of unbroken text!

If anyone can tell me where to buy a good copy of this in ebook form I'd be grateful. I already have the paperback but wanted to re-read the series on my device.
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It is shocking to hear that in this day and age Amazon still sells crappily formatted e-books. If I were you I'd send a harsh letter to their public relations department or something.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Amazon has nothing to do with it; contact the publishers with your complaints.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
It is shocking to hear that in this day and age Amazon still sells crappily formatted e-books. If I were you I'd send a harsh letter to their public relations department or something.
Actually Amazon have always been more than helpful with issues I've had in the past, so a refund will be fine. Using the "lok inside" feature, it seems Amazon.uk has the "good" version but I can't buy from them.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Overdrive has it, try your local library.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
Hoods7070
Groupie

I'm in Australia. Thanks anyway, I have located it for sale in one of our stores, but - pretty funny, really - their checkout wasn't working. Anyway, looks like I can get it.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
And you should be able to return the badly formatted one to Amazon. At least with the US Kindle store, it's easy to do and IME Kindle support has been very responsive. I've only returned two books that I can remember, but in both cases when I reported the issue of poor formatting quality, they first attempted to resolve with the publisher, and then simply refunded my $$.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
Hoods7070
Groupie

Yes - Amazon are really great that way. A while ago I objected to getting a complete book series that cost me close to $75 and only one or two of the books had covers. I know it's easy enough to insert the covers yourself, but I returned them on principle, as they were more expensive than the paperbacks (often the case) and you would hardly buy a paperback without a cover! they refunded in full with a apology and a $20 gift voucher!!! You can't ask for more than that.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:26 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How very odd. I have this ebook, also bought from Amazon, and it's absolutely fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Maybe that's what Hoods7070 is suggesting in post 4 - that there exists a different U.K. version.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
UK versions do differ from US versions. So it's not surprising that it's crap as a US version and good as a UK version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #12
Hoods7070
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How very odd. I have this ebook, also bought from Amazon, and it's absolutely fine.
Yes, as is the one I bought in Australia, which no doubt comes via UK publishers, since we speak British English here. I am sure Amazon US will sort it out. You ca check the book out on Amazon US using the Look Inside feature - after buying it I did that, and it was just a really bad scan.

Oddly, I can't buy from Amazon UK. I have no trouble using Amazon US i the usual straightforward way, and have even got round Barnes and Noble and Diesel restriction be using a VPN. Occasionally Amazon US will tell me a book is unavailable in my region, but not often. I can't get past first base with Amazon UK.