Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #9556
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
For me, I have The God's Themselves queued up. It's the first available ebook I could find of join Hugo/Nebula winners.

BOb
I'm going to start Vanishing Act by Thomas Perry, which CRussel has been highly recommending for a while.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #9557
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Juuuust finished the first in the Mrs. Pollifax series: The American answer to Miss Marple/Amelia Peabody!!! What a WONDERFUL read. I'm probably the last in the universe to read it; loved it! I'd categorize it as a cozy-thriller. It's too dangerous/vivid to be strictly cozy, but it's so heartwarming, it HAS to be!!!
LOL yeah, I think you just might be the last person in the universe to read Mrs. Pollifax. Isn't she an absolute delight? Love, love love anything Dorothy Gilman wrote - her stand alones are just as good if not even better than the Mrs. Pollifax novels. You do have to suspend disbelief a bit with Mrs. Pollifax - in this age of post 9/11 security, the whole premise would never have happened - but they are just delightful books.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #9558
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
LOL yeah, I think you just might be the last person in the universe to read Mrs. Pollifax. Isn't she an absolute delight? Love, love love anything Dorothy Gilman wrote - her stand alones are just as good if not even better than the Mrs. Pollifax novels. You do have to suspend disbelief a bit with Mrs. Pollifax - in this age of post 9/11 security, the whole premise would never have happened - but they are just delightful books.
Yes, she is a delight! Magnificent. Thoroughly enjoyed them and was completely immersed.

I suspect that even before 9/11 some of those guards might not have been so taken with her as the guards appeared to be--but I just loved the book anyway.

I will check out the stand alones too. I love stand alones.

Gilman apparently lived (or still does part time) in Albuquerque. Since I'm from NM, she's practically from my home town. Not that that matters to anything at all, but it warms my heart TOO!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #9559
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hiaason is NOT funny, but "Tourist Season" is a really good murder mystery.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #9560
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladyleyna View Post
Am now reading George R R Martin's Game of Thrones, and I wish I had picked it up earlier. It is really very, very good, and I love the people and places described. American Tolkien indeed (and easier to understand too)! Though for some reason, I've been having an affinity to the more unpopular characters, especially Sansa and Catelyn Stark, as opposed to the characters like Jon, Arya, or even Ned.
My sister is reading this series at the moment and she was very impressed. Damn it - I hate puting a big series on my TBR list.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #9561
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Juuuust finished the first in the Mrs. Pollifax series: The American answer to Miss Marple/Amelia Peabody!!! What a WONDERFUL read. I'm probably the last in the universe to read it; loved it! I'd categorize it as a cozy-thriller. It's too dangerous/vivid to be strictly cozy, but it's so heartwarming, it HAS to be!!!
I recently borrowed "the Amazing Mrs Polifax" in audio format from the library, I was nearly going to take it back as I haven't had a lot of time to listen lately. Now I think I'll listen to it. Thanks.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #9562
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Juuuust finished the first in the Mrs. Pollifax series: The American answer to Miss Marple/Amelia Peabody!!! What a WONDERFUL read. I'm probably the last in the universe to read it; loved it!
Next to last, because I haven't read them yet though I've seen a couple in the library. I see now I'll have to try a few, at least for the locales which interest me.

So I went and bought that Carina Press 99 cent tie-in-to-the-freebie novel; it only cost me $1.11 after taxes which may end up being less in CAD, even after Visa's less-than-favourable currency exchange surcharge.

I was feeling pretty generous after having read a rather good book today, The Long Tomorrow, a semi-classic post-apocalyptic sf novel by Leigh Brackett, an sf/mystery writer who also did screenplays for The Big Sleep and The Empire Strikes Back, among other things.

I bought this title on sale when Phoenix Pick had their 50% off coupon in April, after having gotten The Best of Edmond Hamilton, who was Brackett's husband and had stories chosen by her as one of their free e-book of the month selections.

It's kind of a really depressing coming-of-age in the wake of a nuclear disaster which has led the surviving portions of US humanity to regroup in strongly religious Mennonite/Amish-type no-tech farming communities where too much knowledge and dissent and questioning of the new status quo are very strongly and sometimes fatally discouraged, yet the exploratory spirit and/or technological luxuries of a previous age lives on in a mythical hidden science-city*.

But it was a very good book about the dangers of fear, fanaticism, the preconceptions you have about the world you imagine beyond your personal borders, the nature and meaning of personal responsibility, and how you have to find your own way instead of clinging to the past in whatever form.

Highly recommended if you like post-apocalyptic explorations of human nature and reconstructive societies, for better or worse. I'll have to look up Brackett's other work sometime, some of which is available via Baen.

* Cities are banned because having too large a population concentration with too many resources would require technological advances which would lead people to another nuclear disaster, or so the reasoning goes.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:24 AM   #9563
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Next to last, because I haven't read them yet though I've seen a couple in the library. I see now I'll have to try a few, at least for the locales which interest me.

So I went and bought that Carina Press 99 cent tie-in-to-the-freebie novel; it only cost me $1.11 after taxes which may end up being less in CAD, even after Visa's less-than-favourable currency exchange surcharge.

I was feeling pretty generous after having read a rather good book today, The Long Tomorrow, a semi-classic post-apocalyptic sf novel by Leigh Brackett, an sf/mystery writer who also did screenplays for The Big Sleep and The Empire Strikes Back, among other things.

I bought this title on sale when Phoenix Pick had their 50% off coupon in April, after having gotten The Best of Edmond Hamilton, who was Brackett's husband and had stories chosen by her as one of their free e-book of the month selections.

It's kind of a really depressing coming-of-age in the wake of a nuclear disaster which has led the surviving portions of US humanity to regroup in strongly religious Mennonite/Amish-type no-tech farming communities where too much knowledge and dissent and questioning of the new status quo are very strongly and sometimes fatally discouraged, yet the exploratory spirit and/or technological luxuries of a previous age lives on in a mythical hidden science-city*.

But it was a very good book about the dangers of fear, fanaticism, the preconceptions you have about the world you imagine beyond your personal borders, the nature and meaning of personal responsibility, and how you have to find your own way instead of clinging to the past in whatever form.

Highly recommended if you like post-apocalyptic explorations of human nature and reconstructive societies, for better or worse. I'll have to look up Brackett's other work sometime, some of which is available via Baen.

* Cities are banned because having too large a population concentration with too many resources would require technological advances which would lead people to another nuclear disaster, or so the reasoning goes.
I've been looking at those two titles from Carina Press as well.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:06 AM   #9564
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I just finished the Mortal Instruments series yesterday. Cassandra Clare obviously has a fine sense of humor and I caught myself chuckling many times while reading. But while Jace and Simon's ironic retorts are funny, I think Mortal Instruments lacks the most important thing of a good series/book: the plots aren't complex enough, easy-to-guess, and perhaps because it aims to teenage readers, it doesn't suit me (still teenage but not quite) well.

So, I will either start reading The Chronicles of Narnia or catch up with the latest book in Michael Scott's The Secrets of Immortal Nicholas Flamel: #4 The Necromancer.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #9565
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I've been looking at those two titles from Carina Press as well.
I just got...Endless Nights by Maureen Miller; it's a Carina Press. I don't think it is on sale though. $3.99? Something like that. I don't read a lot of romantic suspense, but one of my friends liked this particular title.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #9566
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Hiaason is NOT funny, but "Tourist Season" is a really good murder mystery.
Really? I find him hilarious. In one of his books, the protagonist fends off the bad guys with a frozen iguana. Now that is comedy. Of course, my tastes run to black/twisted, random, or very dry in the comedy vein so I'm probably not a good measure of what most people find funny.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #9567
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
You are just fine Covington. A book with a character named Skink oughta be funny.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #9568
kainne
Connoisseur
kainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Am now reading George R R Martin's Game of Thrones, and I wish I had picked it up earlier. It is really very, very good, and I love the people and places described. American Tolkien indeed (and easier to understand too)!
I plan to read this also but not till it's finished since the last book was published 5 years ago. I would have to reread the series everytime a new book was released.

Started Aftertime by Sophie Littlefield quit halfway through & read Monster Hunters International instead. Great book thanks for the rec. Either Felix Castor Book 2 or Sharp Objects next.
kainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:55 PM   #9569
Aladyleyna
Zealot
Aladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notes

Device: iPad 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
My sister is reading this series at the moment and she was very impressed. Damn it - I hate puting a big series on my TBR list.
Well, it would be worth it though. I found it really good, and I'm definitely going to get the rest of the books. The annoying thing is that ebooks.com is selling the entire series as a bundle, and if I had known that I was going to like it so much, I would have bought it!

And well... I guess you could take a break after each book in the series to read something less taxing. That's what I'm planning to do anyway, because it is quite heavy to plough through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainne View Post
I plan to read this also but not till it's finished since the last book was published 5 years ago. I would have to reread the series everytime a new book was released.
Last I've seen, it's about 4 books now. Are there going to be any more?
Aladyleyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #9570
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Last I've seen, it's about 4 books now. Are there going to be any more?
The 5th (and I believe final) book is being released July 12th 2011. I already have it pre-ordered at Amazon
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote