Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Adding another version to existing book

I would like to add a second version of a book which I have already uploaded but without affecting the download statistics on the first version. If I simply use Manage Attachment to upload version 2, will it leave version 1 alone?
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
That depends on whether or not it's the same format or not. If you have a book uploaded as an epub for example and you want to load a copy in mobi format then it won't affect anything. If you want to upload an updated copy of the same book in the same format to where you have already posted a copy though then your original epub would be replaced by the new version. And your download stats would be erased I think. So you would have to make a note on the page (x many views in previous version) or words to that effect. The only way (I think) you could prevent that would be to start another thread with a v2 rather than a v1 in the header.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Both are ePub.
Version 2 could have a different attachment name - would this help?
I want to keep the old version in order to:
(a) preserve the original download count and
(b) leave a fallback, (in case v2 is a bit Sony specific).

The guidelines suggest avoiding different threads simply for book updates.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
As crich70 says, if you replace a file with a new version, the download count will be reset to 0. If you want to edit the post with the previous download count, make sure to note the number before uploading the new file, or you won't be able to see it again.

If you add a new file to the original post, the original file and its download count are not affected (as far as I know). When you "manage attachments" you will be able to add or remove files. Just make sure to add the new file with a different name, or it will overwrite the existing one.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What I generally do is to simply add a note to the post saying "Previous download count: 200" (or whatever it is at the time that I replace the file).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote