Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
Jason_54
Jan from Holland
Jason_54 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Request: Author sort name in colums

It would be very convenient for me to be able to display the author sort name in de viewable colums of Calibre. Now I only can display the authors name, and I like to see the last part of the name first. The only way I can make this happen now is to change the authors name to the Author sort name. A lot of work and red fields as a reward ...

Reaction from Starson17: You're in the recipe area. You want to ask this in the main area, up one level. Repost your question there, and when you do, tell them whether you want two columns, one with First Last and another LN, FN or if what you really want is the author column to be LN, FN. If it's the latter, use the author_sort_copy_method tweak. If the former, you need a custom column. This has been discussed extensively before and some searching may answer your questions.

Starson17, thanxs for your reaction. What I really want is to have the author column to be LN, FN. I've read about the tweak but what it does (as far as I can see) is filling the author_sort column. Thats the one I don't want to change. So both colums should be LN, FN. If that is not possible, then my request (sort name in the column) gives the answer to my wish.
Jason_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You have two options:
  1. Use the mentioned tweak and fill the author field with LN, FN like you want to see.
  2. Create a custom column as a composite column, using the template {author_sort} (the lookup name needs to be something else, I tested with author_display). Uncheck the authors column if you really don't want to see it. Don't forget to add a plugboard to manage the metadata on device, if you want to see the same thing there.

Last edited by Manichean; 10-24-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_54 View Post
What I really want is to have the author column to be LN, FN. I've read about the tweak but what it does (as far as I can see) is filling the author_sort column. Thats the one I don't want to change. So both colums should be LN, FN. If that is not possible, then my request (sort name in the column) gives the answer to my wish.
The Tweak does fill the author_sort column. You fill author with LN,FN, then the tweak copies it unchanged into author_sort, and you get what you want.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Jason_54
Jan from Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
The Tweak does fill the author_sort column. You fill author with LN,FN, then the tweak copies it unchanged into author_sort, and you get what you want.
The problem is that I don't fill in author myself, it is there already when I add a book. I always change the authors name by copying the author sort name (wich is mostly correctly LN, LF after the tweak 'invert'). I assume that name comes from the metadata.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
Jason_54
Jan from Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
[*]Create a custom column as a composite column, using the template {author_sort} (the lookup name needs to be something else, I tested with author_display). Uncheck the authors column if you really don't want to see it. Don't forget to add a plugboard to manage the metadata on device, if you want to see the same thing there.[/LIST]
Yes, your option two is what I need! Thank you, I've tried it and it works. Problem solved
(The way it appears at my device is'nt important for me)
Old 10-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
The problem is that I don't fill in author myself, it is there already when I add a book. I always change the authors name by copying the author sort name (wich is mostly correctly LN, LF after the tweak 'invert'). I assume that name comes from the metadata.
You should turn on the option to Swap author name then. That will reverse it when it gets imported. It's in the Import/Export|Add area of Preferences.

I know you posted that you have your problem solved, but you also posted that you don't want a second column. It's up to you which to use, but most people who want LN, FN do not use multiple columns. You are basically doing it backwards by putting the name you don't want into author. It's not hard to do it correctly - automatically put LN, FN in both author and author_sort.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
Jason_54
Jan from Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
You should turn on the option to Swap author name then. That will reverse it when it gets imported. It's in the Import/Export|Add area of Preferences.

I know you posted that you have your problem solved, but you also posted that you don't want a second column. It's up to you which to use, but most people who want LN, FN do not use multiple columns. You are basically doing it backwards by putting the name you don't want into author. It's not hard to do it correctly - automatically put LN, FN in both author and author_sort.
Thank you for your reaction. I've had this option turned on a few months ago but it didn't work the way I wanted. If I reverse the input, stil the authors name differs from the author sort name. I should use this and the different sort method (copy) I presume?
I can't remember stating that I didn't want a second column. I just wanted to be able to display the author sort name instead of the authors name, and with the added column thats what I get. 've tried earlier to make a column like this but I didn't know the correct field name ...
Old 10-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I've had this option turned on a few months ago but it didn't work the way I wanted. If I reverse the input, stil the authors name differs from the author sort name. I should use this and the different sort method (copy) I presume?
Yes. I have the tweak set to copy. All of my authors are entered as LN, FN, and all of my author sort values are LN, FN. If yours are not, then the tweak is not changed correctly or your are seeing pre-tweak values.
Quote:
I can't remember stating that I didn't want a second column. I just wanted to be able to display the author sort name instead of the authors name, and with the added column thats what I get. 've tried earlier to make a column like this but I didn't know the correct field name ...
You are giving up the ability to edit authors' names on the library view. You are also asking for confusion when editing metadata and when doing device/library book matching. It could be that none of these matter to you, though.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you for your reaction.
I will not try to convince you one way or the other. I prefer Firstname Lastname, but carefully read the post by chaley above just to make sure you understand the consequences of your decision.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
Jason_54
Jan from Holland

Thanks for thinking with me... I'm not sure about all the consequences (in the future) so I tried to import about 100 ebooks with the tweak on 'copy' and the 'Swap author name' on. And indeed, it works the way I want (for most books)! The one that are wrong have FN LN without a comma, so I presume the metadata isn't correct. This also works so to avoid future errors I'll use this method. Again, I appreciate the support you have given me !
Old 10-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for thinking with me... I'm not sure about all the consequences (in the future) so I tried to import about 100 ebooks with the tweak on 'copy' and the 'Swap author name' on. And indeed, it works the way I want (for most books)! The one that are wrong have FN LN without a comma, so I presume the metadata isn't correct. This also works so to avoid future errors I'll use this method. Again, I appreciate the support you have given me !
You're welcome. I almost always import books by getting metadata from the filename, not the internal metadata. The main reason is that I can't see the internal metadata, and it varies so much, as you've seen. Sometimes the author is FN LN, and sometimes it's LN, FN. The filename is easier to see, so I know how to set the Add Books options.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
Jason_54
Jan from Holland

I'll give it a try next time I'll import some books. It still varies too much in my humble opinion ...
Old 10-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #13
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
What, I think, would be a nice option is to let you take your pick of authors/Author_sort for Calibre to display in the Author(s) column. I really get tired of turning the Authors field around. It would be nice to keep the Authors at FN LN and the Author_sort at LN, FN.

For instance; I keep both at LN, FN so that it will sort and display that way. However, if I want to create a cover I have to flip the Authors field, create the cover and flip it back again.

Thats just me. Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
What, I think, would be a nice option is to let you take your pick of authors/Author_sort for Calibre to display in the Author(s) column.
Create a composite custom column (column built from other columns) and put whatever you want into it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #15
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Create a composite custom column (column built from other columns) and put whatever you want into it.
I saw that option and didn't know what it did. Anyway, I entered {author_sort} and bingo. Many thanks.

Regards - John

BTW, after setting up the column I was told to restart Calibre. That didn't work. I had to reboot my PC - then it took.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote