Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #196
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
To tell the truth, I am a bit insulted you think my technical job isn't creative. I directly improve the lives of people every day by solving problems. It takes creativity to do that. At least as much creativity as the standard hack writer exhibits. And the best of us are as brilliant as they come regardless of profession.

What my job is not, is artistic. That is why so many of us 'techies' are also writers, photographers, painters, and sculptors, etc.

I bet that's what he meant -- artistic.

We have a great debate in the fiber arts community about the word "art" versus "craft." Me, I don't care what you call me. It's all good.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #197
William Campbell
Connoisseur
William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!William Campbell rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
three gems.
Thanks!
William Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:52 AM   #198
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***We have a great debate in the fiber arts community about the word "art" versus "craft."***

Craft is refined art and vice versa, I think, bJones. Without the input of a creative technician, we would not have the wheel. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #199
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Am a retired engineer, but currently design and produce a line of women's tennis wear and lecture parttime on cruise ships.
cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #200
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Great, interesting thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I'm a Teradata DBA and Developer. It's a database management system capable of storing and querying databases containing billions of records quickly and accurately. Particularly useful for Banking, Telephone, Insurance, & retail and hospitality industries; not to mention government. (have I sold out to 'the man', or what?)
And I am the one all the Teradata DBA's love to hate. I'm a statistical analyst who writes big whopper complex queries against the DB that use up all kinds of resources and make you guys crazy. I've performed this special talent in a wide variety of industries: banking, telecomm, pharma research, and e-commerce.

Geeks rock!

Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #201
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Technical writer and trainer.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #202
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by meromana View Post
Great, interesting thread.

And I am the one all the Teradata DBA's love to hate. I'm a statistical analyst who writes big whopper complex queries against the DB that use up all kinds of resources and make you guys crazy. I've performed this special talent in a wide variety of industries: banking, telecomm, pharma research, and e-commerce.

Geeks rock!

Maria
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #203
Stanford
New e-author
Stanford began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Corporate research librarian by day, e-novelist by night!
Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #204
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Am a retired engineer, but currently design and produce a line of women's tennis wear and lecture parttime on cruise ships.
cheers
Now that is an unusual combination of past/present career choices. I'd like to see how you put your resume together...
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #205
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
cheers
We don't need your kind around here! You can just go to heck!
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #206
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I work as Leep's Best Friend.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #207
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I home school my two boys Isaac 6 (first grade) and Israel 4 (kindergarten) if that counts as a job.....
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #208
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
I home school my two boys Isaac 6 (first grade) and Israel 4 (kindergarten) if that counts as a job.....

One of the most important jobs in life, plus it's a 24/7 career. Good for you.

Retired, but in my youth did Shorthand, typing and bookkeeping.
Dental assistant.
ENT assistant.
Co-owner of a textile factory. (Small - only sixty staff).

.....and for fun

Moonlighting as a window-dresser (Remember them?)
Photographic model (too short to do clothing: only 5'3''). Mainly head & shoulders.
Makeup.

Met lots of fascinating people and some real eccentrics, which was a lot of fun.

Now very much retired, but lots of reading is managing to be done.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #209
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
You can just go to heck!
Is 'heck' where people go who don't believe in Gosh?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #210
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I hit keys on a keyboard. Sometimes the computer connected to the keyboard does what I want. Sometime the computer doesn't do what I want. Sometimes I speak on the phone. Othertimes I go to meetings. Occasionally I drink tea or coffee. I have no idea what my job is.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote