Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-26-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Which free Baen book would you start with?

http://www.webscription.net/c-1-free-library.aspx

Downloaded all the books, and was wondering which one to start with. Time Traders sounded interesting, good first choice?
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
On Basilisk Station would be my recommendation.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Time Traders while good has a problem. The series jumped ship (different publisher) and not all of it is available in eBook form. I think it went to Tor.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But it's not really a "series"; each book can happily be read in isolation and is complete in itself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to disagree. if you skip the first book and go onto the second book, you will be somewhat lost.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I really enjoyed Ryk Spoor's _Doc Sidhe_ --- a fun send-off of Doc Savage w/ fantasy elements.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I don't know your personal tastes, so my recommendations depend on what you find interesting.

If you want a good laugh, read the short stories in The Lighter Side by Keith Laumer.

If you want a more teen-age slant, try Telzey Amberdom by James Schmidt.

If you would like a hard-nosed historical fantasy, try Old Nathan, by David Drake.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
inness
inness began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten e, Palm Treo 680, Sony PRS 505
Well I started with the man who helped to set it up Eric Flint, I thought his 1632, 1633 series was very good reading, the other thing to do is just read them alphabetically, I first read them a few years back on my Tungsten E, I have them all in Palm format and Sony reader format, as well as on my PC. I hope the site keeps going, it is a tribute to the memory of Jim Baen
Bob
inness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
For Epic Fantasy, Sheepfarmer's Daughter
For Hornblower in Space, On Basilisk Station
For Jack Aubrey in Space, With the Lightnings
For Historical Fantasy, This Scepter'd Isle
For Comic Fantasy, Wizard's Bane
For Comic Science Fiction, Rats, Bats and Vats
For Alien Invasion, Gust Front

Hmmm... ANY of the David Drake books.

There's a lot to enjoy in the free library. I can't think of a dud among them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
http://www.webscription.net/c-1-free-library.aspx

Downloaded all the books, and was wondering which one to start with. Time Traders sounded interesting, good first choice?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Try The Mountains of Mourning by Bujold. It's just a novella, but it'll introduce you to Miles, and if you like it, all her Miles-series books are available at the Baen site.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Hmmm... ANY of the David Drake books.
I find myself a bit conflicted on Drake's work. I deeply respect Drake for his work and attitude on e-books. I find his premises and plots very intriguing, but I find I don't much care for his writing style. It's really subtle, and I can't put my finger on what about it bugs me, but I usually enjoy his books somewhat less than I think I should because of it.

Of course that very well may apply only to me, and I certainly would not want to discourage anyone else from giving him a try.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #12
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
I really enjoyed Ryk Spoor's _Doc Sidhe_ --- a fun send-off of Doc Savage w/ fantasy elements.

William
Uhhhhh... Doc Sidhe isn't by Ryk Spoor; it was written by Aaron Allston. Otherwise, I agree with the recommendation.

I'd add Pyramid Scheme to the list if you are looking for light-hearted SF (or is it Fantasy? -- not clear).

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #13
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Xenophon, thanks for the correction, the Ryk Spoor book is also good though, _Digital Knight_.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #14
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Deb:

The fantasy book I'd start with is Sheepfarmer's Daughter. The SF books I'd start with are On Basilisk Station (military SF) or Black on Black (aliens, culture) or Genellan: Planetfall (aliens, survival).

Like you, I've downloaded more than I've had time to read. After reading Sheepfarmer's Daughter, I bought the entire trilogy listed in their catalog as The Deed of Paksenarion. I'd like to buy the rest of the books in the Genellan series, but they aren't available through Baen and I haven't searched them out elsewhere. Amazingly, the sequel to Black on Black, named Stars Over Stars, is also in the Baen free library.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #15
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
1632 --> 1633 (time travel)

A Hymn Before Battle --> Gust Front (alien invasion)

Fallen Angels (President Obama / Gore)

Mutineer's Moon

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote