Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
camper120
camper120 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre crashes when converting

Whenever I try to convert (from any format to any format) Calibre crashes immediately. I tried converting from RTF to ePub, from ePub to Mobi, etc - no dice, it immediately crashes.

The Hamster converter does the job effortlessly and I believe its engine is taken from Calibre, so it annoys me that I need to use it instead of Calibre.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

---------------------------------------

Calibre ver 0.8.58, Win Vista.
camper120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
define "crashes" and see http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ck-on-anything
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
camper120

Thanks for your extremely fast reply.

I read the manual and the 3 reasons for "freezing" are not valid in my case. What I mean by crashing is simply the program closes and disappears immediately, I need to launch it again if I want to use it (and it launches with no problem).

I use a utility called Soluto which generates a message whenever a prog is crashing. I attached the one "informing" me about the crash which happened again just now (see below). By the way, when I click on the "More Info" the utility states that this problem is new (for the prog) and it can't provide info or solution.

Your prog, Calibre, is awesome and I hope that you'll be able to help. If you want me to attach file for debugging let me know which ones you need to see.

Kevin

--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CalibreCrash.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	88700  
Old 07-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper120 View Post
Thanks for your extremely fast reply.

I read the manual and the 3 reasons for "freezing" are not valid in my case. What I mean by crashing is simply the program closes and disappears immediately, I need to launch it again if I want to use it (and it launches with no problem).

I use a utility called Soluto which generates a message whenever a prog is crashing. I attached the one "informing" me about the crash which happened again just now (see below). By the way, when I click on the "More Info" the utility states that this problem is new (for the prog) and it can't provide info or solution.

Your prog, Calibre, is awesome and I hope that you'll be able to help. If you want me to attach file for debugging let me know which ones you need to see.

Kevin

--------------------
I would disable your Crash detector (Solutro) and try. The last few versions have been well behaved for me (who can crash a ball bearing ).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
camper120

Who would think that a utility that's supposed to prevent crashes and fix them is itself the culprit?

It works and you, Sir, are genius. Better yet, you're my hero (of the day, let's not get carried away).

----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I would disable your Crash detector (Solutro) and try. The last few versions have been well behaved for me (who can crash a ball bearing ).
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We have a happy camper. Until you posted the Icon, we had no idea it was not a standard (MS) Dr. Watson report
Old 07-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
camper120

RTL - can Calibre help?

Calibre, as far as I know, is not working on Android phones and I use now Cool Reader (CR) which I like a lot. I transferred ePub book, in Hebrew, to my cell and after adding some fonts to my cell I can see the book in Hebrew but it's directed wrong, LTR instead of RTL. So, for example, instead of showing "Look Here" it will read "Kool Ereh".

I didn't find a setting on CR to change to RTL and I wonder if Calibre can create the ePub file (from Word document) and change the direction so CR which changes direction anyway will change it to the right direction.
By the way, Calibre is smart enough to read the file properly (RTL) but CR can't do it, or I simply didn't find the right setting.

I also tried to save the file with Word, with LTR, and create ePub with the "wrong direction" so CR will change its direction but I didn't find a way to change direction with Word 2007.

Any idea?
Old 07-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Calibre, as far as I know, is not working on Android phones and I use now Cool Reader (CR) which I like a lot. I transferred ePub book, in Hebrew, to my cell and after adding some fonts to my cell I can see the book in Hebrew but it's directed wrong, LTR instead of RTL. So, for example, instead of showing "Look Here" it will read "Kool Ereh".

I didn't find a setting on CR to change to RTL and I wonder if Calibre can create the ePub file (from Word document) and change the direction so CR which changes direction anyway will change it to the right direction.
By the way, Calibre is smart enough to read the file properly (RTL) but CR can't do it, or I simply didn't find the right setting.

I also tried to save the file with Word, with LTR, and create ePub with the "wrong direction" so CR will change its direction but I didn't find a way to change direction with Word 2007.

Any idea?
Was the Books Language setting in the Metadata (editor) set to Hebrew before conversion/sending?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #9
camper120

I'm utterly confused.

Here is what I did before I saw your last reply: I created RTF file (in Hebrew) and used the Hamster converter (based on Calibre engine) to convert it to ePub (since at the time I couldn't use Calibre to convert files, which you helped solving the problem). Later I added the new ePub to Calibre and was able to read the file fine. Only problem was when I sent it to my Android cellphone the reader (Cool Reader) changed its direction and shows the file LTR instead of RTL (as mentioned before, Calibre showed it right - RTL).

Now you asked me if I changed the language under the editor before I sent it to my cellphone. So I tried to take the RTF file and converted it with Calibre. Before I did it I checked the language (Edit-metadata button, next to Convert Books) and I tried once with Hebrew, once with English and once I left it blank. At all times Calibre created a Gibrish file, no matter what option I used.

I repeated the steps maybe 5 times (for each option) to no avail. All I got was Gibrish. At that point I when I used Hamster (which doesn't give option to choose a language) I got the same Gibrish file.

In short, not only I can't read it on my cellphone but now I can't even create ePub file which I'd like to read on my laptop, if nothing else.

By the way, I closed Calibre a few times in hope to clean its memory and I also rebooted the laptop. It didn't matter.

I'm sure there is a solution to the problem, and it's mind-boggling that I can't even repeat what I did before with Hamster.

Last edited by camper120; 07-05-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #10
camper120

Just to let you know, I was so frustrated with the setback of not being able to create ePub file which I could read at least on my laptop (which I was able to do before) that I checked it some more and eventually resolved the problem.

If I save the Hebrew file with Wordpad as text file with Unicode setting I'll get good ePub file which I can read on my laptop (same results when I save Unicode with Word, for that matter). It's not what I did before but what the heck - at least I can do it.

Back to Calibre - when I changed the metadata for the ePub file, either to Hebrew or English, it would do the same thing and save that file on my cellphone tghe same way, where Cool Reader will change the direction from RTL to LTR and render it unreadable (Nice Day will turn to Ecin Yad)

If you have a thought as to how to fix it I'll be grateful.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Just to let you know, I was so frustrated with the setback of not being able to create ePub file which I could read at least on my laptop (which I was able to do before) that I checked it some more and eventually resolved the problem.

If I save the Hebrew file with Wordpad as text file with Unicode setting I'll get good ePub file which I can read on my laptop (same results when I save Unicode with Word, for that matter). It's not what I did before but what the heck - at least I can do it.

Back to Calibre - when I changed the metadata for the ePub file, either to Hebrew or English, it would do the same thing and save that file on my cellphone tghe same way, where Cool Reader will change the direction from RTL to LTR and render it unreadable (Nice Day will turn to Ecin Yad)

If you have a thought as to how to fix it I'll be grateful.
This appear to be a CoolReader problem (CR is no longer an option in the current Jinke FW on my PEz, so I can't play with settings. IIRC CR has a settings folder that must be edited from a PC)

Tags
calibre, conversion, crashing