Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
IGraham
IGraham began at the beginning.

Device: none
set up ?

Hello
I'm rather new regards ebooks - devices, software etc and not to certain as to the best way to set this up (not wanting to delete and start again at some point).
Using Calibre, is it best to import all ebooks regardless of how many and then delete the originals as keeping them means having duplicates ?
Does having lots of books in the library slow down Calibre or make finding books difficult.
Any thoughts or suggestions from the gurus out there appreciated.

And if this is posted in the wrong part of the forum apologies
IGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Once you get a book into Calibre then it is up to you whether you keep the original as well. It seems to depend on personal preference. I let Calibre be my master database, while others like to keep copies outside Calibre.

Having lots of books can slow Calibre down slightly - but here we are talking about numbers like 10,000+ so if you are new to this it you are unlikely to get there very quickly. Having said that I have seen others talking about handling 50K books without too serious a perfomance degredation. I personally have over 15K books in my library without performance issues.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Just to make a it clear.

When we discuss Count, we are counting Line items (titles).
Each title can contain 1 to some N of (ready to go) formats.

Not having a 'Ready to Go' format can slow down loading up your reader, as it has to make the conversion on the fly

So the important thing is to merge, different formats of the same edition.

This can be done later, as you find them (I would disable the Auto-Merge Preference if you have Multiple editions that you want to keep them separate or they might jumble or replace others of the same format)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
First you should check the automerge added books setting in preferences>adding books.
3 options

Calibre will automatically merge books if the title and author are identical. You may want to set it to ignore duplicate incoming formats, maybe not. I would if you have a lot of books, or you can create a seperate record and use the find duplicates plugin to sort a good many. But good options to be aware of.

Once the books are in you can merge several records by clicking on one and control clicking the others and pressing M.

Other settings to be aware of at this point are alos on this screen.

I would take maybe 10-100 books and see how they appear and change those settings as appropriate. Doesn't take long to add 100 books if you put them in one directory and drag and drop or other methods. Will save you a lot of time in the long run as well as well a few oh nos.

Also practice on those few with the bulk edit metadata function.

Then import them all.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
IGraham
IGraham began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi
Thanks for the replys and a shame I hadn't waited a bit longer before just 'doing it' if I'd waited until after the last post (from Helen) life would have been slightly easier.
I imported a load of books and then spent ages sorting out duplicates, wrong author names, jumbled up names & titles etc. The find duplicates plugin came in useful, the search and replace didn't seem to work. But thankfully that's all done now.
As disk space isn't a problem these days I 'll keep the original files as well as the in Calibre files.

I do have another question but I'll start a new thread - to avoid the wrath of the moderator
IGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert