Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
peytonbeach
peytonbeach began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle or Nook
Trying to Convert Adobe Digital file from Overdrive Media to Calibre

This is what I was told about transferring files to Calibre:

......Most purchased EPUB books have DRM. This prevents calibre from opening them. You can still use calibre to store and transfer them to your e-book reader. First, you must authorize your reader on a windows machine with Adobe Digital Editions. Once this is done, EPUB books transferred with calibre will work fine on your reader. When you purchase an epub book from a website, you will get an ”.acsm” file. This file should be opened with Adobe Digital Editions, which will then download the actual ”.epub” e-book. The e-book file will be stored in the folder “My Digital Editions”, from where you can add it to calibre........

However in My Digital Editions folder, the ebook file is not recognized by Calibre and it won't load it into the program. This an Overdrive EPUB ebook from the local library.

I have a Kindle (not used yet) but will exchange for Nook or Sony if this process proves too difficult. I can pretty much figure out many tasks on the computer, but I cannot "load" or open or drag anything into Calibre at this point.
peytonbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hi and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi peytonbeach and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Welcome to MR! Sorry but I cannot help with your dilemma as I don't use Calibre.

But I'm sure someone here will be able to help :-)

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Hi, peytonbeach, welcome to MR. from the Netherlands. I would post the question in the Calibreforum.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
gillmt
gillmt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS- 350
What operating system are you using? If you have Windows you can use Adobe Digital Editions to download the book from Overdrive. Plug in your reader - it should appear on the left of ADE then drag and drop the book onto the reader icon.

Not sure about your library but the one I use isn't compatible with Kindle - the Overdrive website lists devices which work with their system.

What ever you end up with, I hope you enjoy it - I have a Sony PRS 350 which works fine with Overdrive.
gillmt is offline   Reply With Quote