Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
dax123
Connoisseur
dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Silver PRS 600, Red PRS 650, Kindle 3 WiFi (Keyboard), Kindle 4 basic
Question How do I get rid of a folder on my reader?

I want to get rid of the purchased (aangeschaft) folder on my reader. But I don't have it in my library of Ebook Library anymore (deleted it by accident) so I can't delete it.

If I want to make a new folder of purchased it will just add another folder on my reader so I end up with two purchased folders.

Is there a way to get rid of a folder that is not on your library anymore but still on your reader?
dax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

If you have a windows computer per example, connect the reader to it with the usb cable, open windows explorer and check your drives, you will see that after a few seconds you have at least one new drive (in the sony 505 you get 3 new drives, the internal sony memory, the sd card drive and the memory stick memory), click on it and you are inside your sony (it appears thus as a normal disc), navigate to the folder you want and delete it.

Warning: make sure you are deleting the folder you want!
Advice: copy the folder to your computer first and then delete it on the reader, so if something goes wrong, you can copy it back!

Best regards,

Last edited by DDHarriman; 09-10-2009 at 05:08 PM.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
dax123
Connoisseur
dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi I have a Mac, I did a search in my reader but weird thing is those folders don't appear in my reader at all. I do find my books but not the folders they are placed in.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
I'm sorry but I can not help here as I know ziltsh about the Mac.

Can you try to use a windows pc at work or from a friend?
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
dax123
Connoisseur

Nope we don't have any windows pc here in the house anymore and work pc's don't allow attachement of outside devices. So guess I'm stuck with a folder I can't do anything with. :P Not an big disaster just a slight annoyement since I can't put anything in it, since I lost the original folder and I can't delete it. Ah well...:P
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm at work so I can't check this for sure, especially since I use a pc not a mac. With the Reader connected to the computer, go to the Sony library. Open up the list of folders on the Reader. Right click the folder you want and see if delete appears. Otherwise, you might check under the Edit button on the Sony library.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #7
dax123
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaAnn View Post
I'm at work so I can't check this for sure, especially since I use a pc not a mac. With the Reader connected to the computer, go to the Sony library. Open up the list of folders on the Reader. Right click the folder you want and see if delete appears. Otherwise, you might check under the Edit button on the Sony library.
When I right click on the folder in my reader and try to delete it, it tells me I will have to delete it from the library section, which I did, then with next synchronisation it should be gone from my reader, but it's still there. Also when I try to go the edit way, in ebook library it will give me the same. So I'm thinking I'm stuck with a folder I can't delete.

Anyway will read any other replies tomorrow morning to see if anyone will have a solution. It's time for me to get to bed, as it's passed midnight over here. Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't know if this will work, it's just an idea, but...

OK, I assume by folder you mean collection right? Can you try creating the collection again in the library and doing a sync and then unchecking the folder you want gone from the sync list and syncing again. That might get rid of it. (Hope this makes sense)

I'm hoping the used 505 I bought will get here tomorrow or Monday. If you haven't solved this by then I'll try duplicating your issue when I get it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
dax123
Connoisseur

Nope that's not working either. I copied the purchased collection from the reader to the library, synced. synced again without the collection checked, in fact without anything checked since if you choose books or library it won't let you uncheck an underlying collection. So, It's still in my reader.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Hmm, well my 505 didn't come today so I can't try to duplicate anything yet.

You might end up going into the 505 as a drive letter and deleting everything and then syncing what you want from your library again. That will certainly get rid of it even if it is more of a brute force solution.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
dax123
Connoisseur

Hi Thanks for your help anyway, btw, I don't have a 505 but a SPR 300 but I guess that's pretty much the same.

for now I just let the folder stand and I'll see in the near future if I can do anything about it. if not well it's not that big of an annoyance to have a ghost collection that I can't use or do anything with.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax123 View Post
I want to get rid of the purchased (aangeschaft) folder on my reader. But I don't have it in my library of Ebook Library anymore (deleted it by accident) so I can't delete it.

If I want to make a new folder of purchased it will just add another folder on my reader so I end up with two purchased folders.

Is there a way to get rid of a folder that is not on your library anymore but still on your reader?
Did you called the new folder exactly the same? It might have to do with the folder Purchased having different properties and how these properties are handle in the Mac...

I tried the following and worked fine (I have a PC, sorry Mac ):

If I connect my reader (600) and go into the Reader section in eBook Library and there is a folder there that is not in the main section of eBook Library, I can create a folder with the same name in eBook Library and it will sync with the Reader (one way, of course, from eBook to Reader. So if the folder in eBook Library is empty it would empty the folder in the Reader).

Then I proceed to erase the folder in eBook Library and sync again... folder gone.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #13
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Okay, can we stop calling it a folder. it's a Tag, or a Collection. hence all the confusion.

delete all books in a collection and the collection will disappear, with ebl there or not.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:48 AM   #14
dax123
Connoisseur

Well I called it exactly the same to be sure I wouldn't make spelling errors I just copied the collection from the reader to my library, then synced and it would just add a second purchased collection to my reader, so somehow I think the properties of the copied collection are the different and therefor it would handle the copied purchased collection as different then the one in the reader. So when I sync again to remove it, it will only remove the copied (second) collection, but the original that I'm trying to get rid off just stays there. I also can't change the name so I could use it for something else since it also gives the warning that it's a synced collection and I can only change it in library first and it will change when syncing again.

So I guess I'm just stuck with it.

Andybaby, the collection is empty and it will not remove itself after sync, that's the entire problem.

Don't know what the problem is, might be a problem with the Mac version of the program or just a Mac problem, I don't know, but anyway I guess I'll just have to accept that the collection isn't going anywhere it's not usable either.

edited also tried uninstalling the program with the sudo command that I found somewhere on this board...and weird thing is it gives me that there is no such file or directory on my Mac. Something is really screwed up it seems.

This is the sudo command I found btw: sudo /Library/eBookLibrary/uninstall-eBookLibrary.sh

Last edited by dax123; 09-12-2009 at 07:14 AM.