Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
The Silly Things We Do

At the NoVA meet-up, cassidym and I got to talking about our readers. He told me about a time when he tried to go to the next page in his ebook by moving his hand to the upper right hand corner of his reader to physically change the page just like you would do if you were reading a paper book. Since I had just done the same thing the day before, I related my experience to him and we had a hardy chuckle about human nature.

Well, this weekend, I purchased a hardcover book by one of my favorite authors because I could buy the book from my warehouse club for half the price of the ebook. After putting Ryleigh to bed, I settled into my big comfy wingback chair in my favorite reading room, my studio, to read my new book. Engrossed in the story line, imagine my amazement when I flicked my thumb across the right hand page of the book and it didn't flicker over to the next page. I sat there, stunned for a moment and then realized what I had done. I once again had a hardy chuckle about human nature.

It got me to thinking, though, how many of us have caught ourselves doing silly things that make us laugh at ourselves.

Care to share?
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
I often walk into door frames and wonder when it was that someone put that there . . . does that count?

Clumsy maybe, but not really silly.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I've walked up to an exit door at the store and stopped, waiting for it to open, before I realized it wasn't an automatic door. (This happens to me a lot. )

The funniest was the time I was walking out with my friend and we both stopped and waited for the door. You'd think one of us would have noticed there was no "automatic door" sign.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Okay, this is kinda even worse heh.. Have to give you a little background to make sense of it. I used to play a mmorpg called DAOC as the character class druid. In fact I'd bet 10 bucks I'm the only 50 year old (then) to be the top rated player for any character class in that game for that server anyway (and first of any class on my server to 25k kills, and I had more tower and keep captures than any player across all 20+ servers for a couple years). This was about 6 years ago.

One of the spells a druid could cast was a "root" which would temporarily stop movement of another player within range.

So, I'm at the grocery store one time, during the peak of those playing years and you know how you get heading toward checkout and you're heading for a cashier with the short line and I see another guy heading toward the same line. As catches sight of me heading for the same line he speeds up (which I wouldn't do, I'm not that nutty) but I did catch myself making the keyboard pattern with my fingers which would cast the root spell on him.. lol.... Just for a couple seconds.. and I stopped dead and stood there stunned for a second and then started laughing out loud... heheh.. I know he thought I was nuts and of course he and no one else could have noticed what I was doing with my fingers.. But that was so funny..

Last edited by wayspooled; 07-07-2009 at 02:36 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
You mean nobody noticed that big red lobster claw making strange clicking movements?
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
I often walk into door frames and wonder when it was that someone put that there . . . does that count?

Clumsy maybe, but not really silly.
Of course it does! I've done it myself. Something else I catch myself doing is walking into a room and not remembering why I went into it. Of course, I attribute it to the advancement of my earthly years!!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
For some time now I have been mostly an armchair fan of sports events (i.e. I am a slob who watches on TV mumbling, "I could have been a contender").

On the relatively uncommon event of me attending a live sporting event, I am always expecting an action replay after any interesting occurance - I'm always surprised that there isn't one.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I keep reaching for the clutch in my new car, which is automatic, even after having it for several months...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I keep reaching for the clutch in my new car, which is automatic, even after having it for several months...
Hmmm. I do that too when driving better half's car. Thank goodness for seatbelts.

My "favourite" was a door at university, which was clearly labelled PULL. In black letters. On a semi-transparent slab of plastic. Affixed to the glass door. Which was fine. Except when I approached it from the other side. Almost without fail I would pull the door. It never opened. "But it says, Pull" I explained to a confused friend once, pointing the the reversed word barely intelligible through the plastic.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #10
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I thought everybody had an automatic in the US?

I have the opposite problem. My car is an automatic, has lights that come on automatically when it gets dark, ditto for windscreen wipers when it rains and a handbrake that automatically disengages when you set off. My wife's car has none of the above. When I had to drive her car recently I just couldn't understand why I couldn't see where I was going when it was dark/raining, or why I couldn't go anywhere when I tried to set off. It's amazing how quickly you get used to all these little conveniences (or 'get lazy' as my wife termed it).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
I have bad eyesight and can wear either glasses or contact lenses. When I'm wearing my contact lenses and have trouble seeing something I will try to push my glasses up my nose even though I'm not wearing them.

Equally, if I've been wearing my lenses for a few days and then go back to my glasses and find I can't see properly, I blink rapidly a few times to try to rehydrate my lenses. Generally that doesn't move the dirt on my glasses
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #12
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I found myself waiting for the stop sign to turn green yesterday.

I am ALWAYS looking for clutches in cars! the more stressed I am, the more I search for the clutch

as a former eyeglass wearer I quite often make that little push.

I used to always have at least a small tool belt on, usually at least with my lineman's shears and a screwdriver, I'm ALWAYS reaching for those
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth1304 View Post
I have bad eyesight and can wear either glasses or contact lenses. When I'm wearing my contact lenses and have trouble seeing something I will try to push my glasses up my nose even though I'm not wearing them.

Equally, if I've been wearing my lenses for a few days and then go back to my glasses and find I can't see properly, I blink rapidly a few times to try to rehydrate my lenses. Generally that doesn't move the dirt on my glasses
Ditto, I used to do that when I had contacts.

10 minutes ago, I was painting the kitchen ceiling and step down the chair I was perch onto to find myself both feet in the paint pan. One was apparently not enough to make me realize what I was doing.
20 minutes ago, I realized I was dancing on my said chair, in my pj (sighs, bra less), in front of the window to which I didn't close the blinds, with four teens laughing their asses off watching me.
A few hours ago, I slammed into the place in my bedroom where the door was in the old apartment.

I have tons of those - I should make a book out of them.
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #14
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I watch every new Stephen Segal movie that comes out in the hopes that one of them might actually be good, but knowing full well that they won't be. That's definitely very silly
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #15
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Also moving house and then leaving work and driving in the wrong direction back to the old place ...
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote