Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #31
jcolinzheng
jcolinzheng began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Thanks to both...that's relieving! Since when did my expectation for PDF support become so low? lol
jcolinzheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #32
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolinzheng View Post
Does anyone know if jumping to specific page is possible in the PDF viewer?
Lacking this would be a deal breaker.

For those in academia (esp math, CS) here's a review on Kindle DX for math:
http://blog.computationalcomplexity....kindle-dx.html
I'm curious about the whole page issue. as I understand it, the focus of the DX is for academia. how is one supposed to use the DX as reference for source material?
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #33
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The font sizes are the same as the Kindle 2, which is very disappointing. I have screenshots of the fonts on the Kindle 1 (same size again), see Font Sizes. Note that the screenshots will appear larger on a computer monitor, than on the Kindle screen. The menus are easier to read on the KDX though, see Windwalker Review of the KDX.
The cnet review said that the maximum font size is bigger, but the method they used is questionable at least: "With the font set to the highest level on the Kindle 2, we counted 11 lines of text with about five words per sentence. By contrast, on the Kindle DX, we counted 19 lines of text and six or seven words per line. "
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #34
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
The cnet review said that the maximum font size is bigger, but the method they used is questionable at least: "With the font set to the highest level on the Kindle 2, we counted 11 lines of text with about five words per sentence. By contrast, on the Kindle DX, we counted 19 lines of text and six or seven words per line. "
They're wrong. I just comapred them myself, on the largest font size, same page, same book. The font size is the same. Yes, you get more words and lines per page because the Kindle DX has a larger screen, morons.

One interesting note: You can't use Alt-Shift-N to adjust line spacing on the Kindle DX, because you have to hit Alt to access numbers in the first place. So you're stuck with the defauly line spacing, which is about 4 (I prefer 2 on my Kindle 2.) Once you adjust the line spacing on each to be the same you'll see the fonts are the same size.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #35
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I was going to add some images, but the images do not accurately reflect the relative screen sizes! So I realize what is displayed here doesn't match what I said above, but anyway:

Kindle DX

Kindle 2 with same line spacing (4)

Kindle 2 with smaller line spacing (2)
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #36
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I'm not too excited about getting a DX after reading the initial reports. Hopefully, the outlook improves.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #37
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
I, too, am somewhat disappointed with the DX. The larger screen is terrific and I suspect the screen contrast is a bit better, but the larger size is somewhat less convenient to hold for a sustained period of time.

Most importantly, the books for which I purchased the DX are history books with numerous maps. These maps, which were not very useable on the K2, are still not useable on the DX. The problem clearly wasn't the screen size but rather a poor choice of resolution by Amazon and/or the publishers.

Until Amazon and its publishers pay more attention to the quality of the displayed product (along with such things as bad spelling and bad formatting), I'll stick to fiction and to free books from sites like Feedbooks which have better formatting and have been prepared with more care.

The ability to rotate the reader is nice but not really all that necessary. While it's the only way one can magnify the size of PDFs, for some it still isn't sufficient.

At this point, I plan to do most of my e-reading on my K2 and my Mac. I haven't yet decided whether I'll return the DX.
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #38
katysax
Enthusiast
katysax doesn't litterkatysax doesn't litterkatysax doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle DX, prs 505
While the pdf implementation isn't perfect on the DX, it is very usable. I have been very disappointed and frustrated with the pdf on the 505.

So far the biggest negative to me about the DX is that the size is bigger, clunkier, not as easy to hold as the Kindle2. I know its a tradeoff for full-sized pdf pages. For general reading I think the K2 is a better choice. If you load up a lot of pdf documents, like I do then the DX is good enough for that. I can use bookmarks for navigation.
katysax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #39
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
I am considering buying one of these for my grandmother, who can read playing cards, but has trouble with standard large print books. Im worried that the Kindle DX wont be able to enlarge text enough for her. Can anyone report how large the kindle DX text can be made by default for standard Amazon downloadable books?
Here is a thread that might be of interest to you: PRS 700 perfect for old people
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #40
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
My interest in Kindle dx has waned completely now after reading its pdf capabilities, it sounds like a rushed to market half baked device, and I seriously doubt if amazon will add any meaningful changes in their firmware upgrades.
How one suppose to read pdf in academics with no TOC, bookmarks and no pdf reflow.

If you want to read books than it makes sense to use K1 or K2 and wait for improvements in DX for pdf reading.
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote