Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
[Kindle Touch] VNC Server

Here's x11vnc server for Kindle Touch (sw 5.1).

Some features :
- mouse input
- keyboard input ( it puts some funny characters in between... )
- custom iptables, so you can connect via WiFi and usbNetwork (port no 5900)
- vnc.conf upstart script which checks existance of ENABLE_VNC under /mnt/us/vnc directory

Feel free to play around with source files if you're interested.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16679763/x11vnc_kindle.zip

Enjoy.

edit :

If you're wondering; Kindle Home button is mapped as "Home" button on keyboard. Obviously.

Last edited by seaniko7; 04-13-2012 at 10:20 PM.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Does this only install on 5.1? I tried installing it on 5.0.4 with "universal jailbreak", but it is not recognized in the update menu.

EDIT: Nevermind. It worked after I rebooted and copied the install.bin to the kindle a second time. Apparently the jailbreak needs another restart not listed in the jailbreak README.txt.

EDIT 2: Wow. This is great. I love it. Thanks!

Even the screensavers work on this. Okay, which key is the power button so I can remote wake it? Or... it could disable screensavers during a vnc connection:

lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver 1

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-14-2012 at 12:57 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
deepcast
deepcast began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Great work!

Does it support Kindle 3 3g?
deepcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcast View Post
Great work!

Does it support Kindle 3 3g?
This VNC version relies on Xorg which is NOT in the K3.

There IS a "native mode" version of VNC (from hawhill) for the K3 and DX:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150434

Here are some instructions for the DX version:
http://tinyapps.org/docs/e-ink-monitor.html

Here is a "PowerShell" configuration for native VNC:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2004968

EDIT: To adapt hawhill's VNC code for the K3, it may need to be adjusted for screen size and keyboard codes different from the DXG, but it should be a simple change.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-14-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
geekmaster

With this X11 VNC server, and code from hawhill's native mode VNC client, a native mode app can monitor and control desktop apps over the localhost VNC port 5900.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-15-2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: multiplying like rabbits
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
geekmaster

THIS SPACE RESERVED

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-14-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: call an exterminator
Old 04-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle Touch
Question Some problems with a launcher extension

Firstly I'd like to tell you that your port of x11vnc is awesome. Keep up the good work!

I tried to create a launcher extension to stop and start x11vnc. I must admit that I am not very good with linux commands and I have used the usbnetwork launcher in order to understand how the launcher works and I based my launcher extension on it and on the info I could gather from the source you posted for x11vnc.

My launcher extension stops and starts x11vnc correctly but it doesn't work the same as if it x11vnc launched at boot by checking the ENABLE_VNC file (the normal way).
I will list the differences:
-I can open x11vnc with my launcher extension and connect to it with a VNC client. but if I disconnect the client, I cannot connect it again without restarting x11VNC whereas with the normal startup I can disconnect and reconnect as many times as I wish.
-If I open x11vnc with my launcher and connect a VNC client, the Kindle interface becomes not responsive after a few seconds. After I disconnect the VNC Client all my interactions are registered at the same time resulting in multiple menu windows, collections selects, page selects, etc at the same time.

Can you please look at my launcher extension and see what am I doing wrong? Thanks!

PS: I updated the wiki with some basic info about your VNC package. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...ing#VNC_Server
Attached Files
File Type: zip x11VNCServer launcher extension.zip (1.7 KB, 628 views)
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
This is great seaniko7. Thanks, I've been looking for this stuff a long time. Is there a vnc-viewer build for Linux-ARM around?

A couple of issues:
1. I think key mappings are not correct! Try to write for example character 'a' or whatever from your computer's keyboard (that runs vnc-viewer) to your Kindle's URL bar and you'll see it writes a weird character before it. Also, Shift, Tab, Control, and ... are mapped with weird characters.

2. Sometimes x11vnc crashes with this error in the terminal (for instance when running browser):

Code:
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  132 (MIT-SHM)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  4 (X_ShmGetImage)
  Serial number of failed request:  77551
  Current serial number in output stream:  77553

Last edited by thatworkshop; 04-14-2012 at 09:35 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
alexandregz
alexandregz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
If you want to use password, you can edit the vnc.conf file, /etc/upstart/vnc.conf

# nopw is no password
#exec x11vnc -nopw
exec x11vnc -passwd xxxxxx
alexandregz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
This is great seaniko7. Thanks, I've been looking for this stuff a long time. Is there a vnc-viewer build for Linux-ARM around?

A couple of issues:
1. I think key mappings are not correct! Try to write for example character 'a' or whatever from your computer's keyboard (that runs vnc-viewer) to your Kindle's URL bar and you'll see it writes a weird character before it. Also, Shift, Tab, Control, and ... are mapped with weird characters.

2. Sometimes x11vnc crashes with this error in the terminal (for instance when running browser):

Code:
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  132 (MIT-SHM)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  4 (X_ShmGetImage)
  Serial number of failed request:  77551
  Current serial number in output stream:  77553
That says you have run out of shm space. Which is taken from available ram. (Similar to where tmpfs space comes from.)
Three choices:
Add more ram (not practical without the special re-work tools) ;
Run fewer programs at the same time ;
Enable swap ;

Choice two is probably the best choice of the three.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:26 AM   #11
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post

A couple of issues:
Actually, if you try starting up xterm then run it via x11vnc you will see the characters appear correctly. so perhaps that means the kindle layer is expecting some sort of escape character that it is not receiving? Either way that rules out the vnc layer being at fault.

May dig into this, interest willing.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #12
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Before trying, does it work with 5.1.2?
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #13
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

err. I didn't try this one. but I would guess so. the one I built is running on that.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #14
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Ok, it works really fine!!
Only thing I can't do is scroll down using the mouse wheel (I think it's related to my VNC viewer, UltraVNC)
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #15
twobob

hmm let me test that.

EDIT: mousewheel works on gvncviewer FWIW.
Attached Files
File Type: gz x11vnc.tar.gz (1.83 MB, 581 views)

Last edited by twobob; 01-04-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Tags
launcher, launcher add-ons