Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 03-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
borisb
Edge User

Post How to install the Amazon App Store app on your eDGe

1. Open a browser on your eDGe
2. Enter the following in the Address Bar and tap Go: http://amzn.to/getamazonappstore
3. Once it's downloaded, tap the APK file and follow the prompts to install

Some notes:
- it appears the Amazon App Store is currently US-only
- some apps may not work on the Android 1.6 OS the eDGe currently has; unfortunately the app info doesn't indicate the version of Android required

Last edited by borisb; 03-22-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
guyjack
Edge User

Cool! Thank you Boris!

Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
elsaturnino
Edge User

I've been perusing the appstore on the amazon website and it lists the minimum android version on the app pages there.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
borisb
Edge User

Thanks, elsaturnino. At least the info is somewhere. I looked at the details of a few of the apps, including Angry Birds which doesn't run on 1.6, within the App Store app on my eDGe, and saw no reference to minimum Android version. Some other app stores, like SlideMe, tend to notify you before you buy that your device does or does not meet the requirements for the app.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #5
Queue
Edge User

Amazon App Store works fine for out of North American customers as long as you have a US address (and probably credit card with the same address) on file with them and make that your current address. I have no problems using the AAS from Korea with my parent's address from the US. I also ran into this kind of problem when downloading free books from Amazon. It was free with a US address but $2 with my Korean address. I guess it costs more to send things further on the interwebz.

I noticed the lack of info on the actual download page on device requirements, too. But the info is there on the main app description page.

The free version of Angry Birds Amazon is giving away (Rio I think) does run on my Edge. A little slow, but it does run. Okay, a lot slow.

Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queue View Post
. . . The free version of Angry Birds Amazon is giving away (Rio I think) does run on my Edge. A little slow, but it does run. Okay, a lot slow.
Yes, it nicely runs full screen, but it is A LOT slow. I guess the smartphones it's intended for have a lot more CPU or graphics churning oomph than the eDGe.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsaturnino View Post
I've been perusing the appstore on the amazon website and it lists the minimum android version on the app pages there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Thanks, elsaturnino. At least the info is somewhere. I looked at the details of a few of the apps, including Angry Birds which doesn't run on 1.6, within the App Store app on my eDGe, and saw no reference to minimum Android version. Some other app stores, like SlideMe, tend to notify you before you buy that your device does or does not meet the requirements for the app.
I also saw this information on most, though, not all of the app pages. I had to look hard for it though. They shoudl really make that part of the content stand out more with bold, ital or separate-line text.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queue View Post
Amazon App Store works fine for out of North American customers as long as you have a US address (and probably credit card with the same address) on file with them and make that your current address.
Funny, because I have this very set up for that very reason in general, and it doesn't work for me.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
glen
Edge User

Sweet! Installed with no problems, and I am in the process of ignoring work playing games I got off it

Old 03-24-2011, 01:42 AM   #10
Queue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
Funny, because I have this very set up for that very reason in general, and it doesn't work for me.
I know when I had my address in Korea as my active one on Amazon, I couldn't download. When I switched my active address to my US one, no problem. I did have to set up the stupid "one-click" order thing, btw.

Kind of silly that Canadian customers would have this problem anyway!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
sarah11918
Edge User

Yes, I had to go set up the payment method for the 1-click, too. The US address is my active one on Amazon. I had read a rumour a long time ago that they were going to offer free Kindles to Amazon Prime members or something (which we were because we did a lot of traveling in the US) so I made sure my active address was a US one, just in case!

We also have a US billing address added to our Canadian credit card for stores that require it. But, it's not the *only* address associated with that credit card, so that might be part of my particular problem.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
rawkawn
Edge User

I've put the beta that uses droid 2.2 and I can't get the apk to install. It asks for network access and then just says "application not installed." Any advice?

Edit: nevermind. Found a different thread.

Last edited by rawkawn; 05-13-2011 at 02:12 PM.