Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 08-20-2011, 11:43 PM   #166
melitabel
Enthusiast
melitabel began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
I'm trying to upgrade a friend's PE to Ermine, and nothing is happening. A few questions:

1. How large should the PE upgrade file be?
2. If the machine goes on and initializes normally, does that mean it's not going to run the upgrade and I shoujld give up at that point and start over?
3. I haven't used my PE in a while. Where do I find the menu from which I can read the USB stick's directory? (If I should be able to read it from Device Storage, there's a problem - it doesn't show anything).

THanks, M.
melitabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:49 PM   #167
melitabel
Enthusiast
melitabel began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Aargh. Answering my own question, forgot to rename the file. I read the drive again on the PC and realized my mistake. With all the problems I've had with my own EE, I've never had a problem updating once I got the file on the USB stick. Mea culpa.
melitabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #168
forko23
forko23 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I updated to Ermine on my PE. I was trying to modify vold.fstab.internal & external and somehow I deleted the originals. Now my PE doesn't recognize either my USB ports nor my external SD card. Is there any way to restore these two files to the PE?
forko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #169
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by forko23 View Post
I updated to Ermine on my PE. I was trying to modify vold.fstab.internal & external and somehow I deleted the originals. Now my PE doesn't recognize either my USB ports nor my external SD card. Is there any way to restore these two files to the PE?
Oh dear - another one.

Download the Golden update for the PE and apply it - rename to update.zip, put on USB stick and pray that the bootloader finds the USB device.

If that works, you can then update to Ermine again only this time leave the system files alone!
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #170
forko23

The bootloader doesn't recognize the USB device. So I'm pretty much hosed eh?
Advert
Old 08-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #171
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Simple answer - YES.

Longer answer, maybe someone like emusan or vicinc can help but don't hold your breath waiting.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #172
forko23

Thanks ivanjt. I got it working though finally. Also thanks for the advice about leaving system files alone.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:07 AM   #173
ivanjt
Guru

Glad to hear you now have it working again.

The main thing you must remember is that Ermine is a beta OS and as such changing any of the system files is very likely to give strange results. That being said we do have some brave people that are working on improvements but until someone finds a reliable recovery method take care with what you do.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #174
Gremalkin
Gremalkin began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
OK, I'm finally ready to do this update after having the PE for a couple of months. I have what I need to do the update, but I am not sure what I need to backup (from where).

Firstly, I assume this update wipes out all data on the device?

I have a lot of books in my download folder. I also have apps there. Not sure if there are any other folders I should be checking. I may just copy everything visible when I connect to my PC via USB and hope that covers it.

Feel free to link to any threads, as there is so much information, I'm sure it's here somewhere!

Warning: I am new to Android (with this device and my phone).
Gremalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:48 AM   #175
ivanjt
Guru

Your assumption is correct.

I have a copy of everything I've ever put on my EE on our FTP server (normal PC for most people) so your idea of copying everything via USB should work unless you have made extensive notations to your books, in which case you need to check the old edge archive for ways to back that up and what files are involved.

If you don't have notations then the simple copy should be all you need.

When you upgrade check all the usual pitfalls before you start:
The downloaded update zip file is not corrupt - check by opening it on the PC
Update file named to update.zip - take care that it isn't .zip.zip
USB stick is a small capacity and formatted FAT or FAT32
The update.zip is in the root directory of the USB stick
The PE is fully charged and plugged in to the charger
Old 09-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #176
nicosomething
nicosomething began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Thank you all!

I'm a brand new Pocket Edge owner, and thanks to your instructions and the files you've linked, I've been able to get the Ermine update to work. I've had the device for a few days now and have really been enjoying it, but was worried about trying the update. I decided to take the plunge after reading through this thread.

Thanks again.
nicosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #177
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicosomething View Post
Thank you all!

I'm a brand new Pocket Edge owner...
Welcome to Mobileread! And the entourage in particular.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:05 AM   #178
Gremalkin
Gremalkin began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Thanks ivanjt! I guess I should specify that my device isn't rooted. Am I correct to assume that an unrooted device does not let you see all the folders on the drive/device? So I will still be ok if I just copy what I see? (And no, I don't have annotations other than from playing with it - nothing I need to keep.)

~~really nervous about doing this upgrade~~ Can you tell? lol

On a sidenote, can anyone tell me where the apps are placed when installed on the pe? I am thinking of the Amazon appstore ones that were pushed to my phone as opposed to me emailing/copying via USB.

Last edited by Gremalkin; 09-03-2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: wording fix
Gremalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #179
ivanjt
Guru

My EE isn't rooted either - see no need to do so.

Just backup what you see - books, apps that have the apk extension (they can be installed as opposed to installed apps that require special backup procedures to turn them into installable apps) and anything you think you want to keep.

I seldom use USB to copy anything to/from my EE because using ES-FileExplorer either in LAN or FTP mode is easier - don't need to be near a computer.

If you follow the instructions and double check everything there is nothing to really be afraid of.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:34 AM   #180
rebeltaz
Connoisseur
rebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket eDge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
It is possible to get the "White Screen of Death (WSoD)" when you upgrade to Ermine on the PE. If that happens (fortunately, it is rare) your LCD will turn white and stop responding.
I just bought one of these on Woot. While waiting on it to arrive, I am reading up on it. If I were to upgrade to ermine and it were to WSoD, would it the n be screwed? Or would I be able to downgrade?
rebeltaz is offline   Reply With Quote