Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Option for backing up your books yourself

I know we all have our own ways, but do we entirely want our collections to be backed up and handled by Amazon, where they can choose to remove content from your Archives if they see fit?

Here is what I am doing (in Windows) already even though I just got my Kindle:

Install Microsoft SyncToy or any software that allows for partial or full backup from a given drive. Setup a sync process to read everything from the base/root of the Kindle and copy it to a specific folder on a hard drive.

That way even if it is lost from your archives, you still have a copy of it on your hard drive. If you REALLY want extra security, there are ways you can setup a sync with something like Google Docs or Gmail Drive to back them up online as well.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
IMO, the only true backup requires you to remove the DRM. If you no longer own the device that your backup is keyed to then the backup is pretty worthless. That said I keep all my uninfested ebooks in Calibre which is backed up by my Dropbox account in real time and nightly by WHS and my entire PC is backed up Carbonite for offsite protection.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
In the real world one of the many hats I wear si that of an information Security Officer. As such I am quite alarmed by Amazon's ability to reach into your Kindle and remove anything they like and it implies to me that if Amazon can do that anyone can do that in any way. If I so desire I can, with the right tools, delete anything from anyone's kindle at any time. This is one of the reason why I advise people with Kindles to never use the Wifi to go directly to the internet and instead go to the internet via your desktop computer where your PC's firewall can block intruders from removing content from your kindle.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Why the FUD spreading ? Anything against Amazon ?
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
FUD is rather trendy lately, isn't it?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
reech
Connoisseur
reech doesn't litterreech doesn't litter

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600
Mind you, I've a ton of tinfoil hats I need to offload quickly and cheaply. I'll do a deal...

(Seriously - if Amazon take a book of my Kindle for legitimate reasons; for example, a publisher lying about having the rights to an ebook edition of a book - then they'll refund me in full. If I was worried about anyone else 'reaching' into my Kindle \ Computer \ House, then I'd stay in a jelly-like state, quivering and flopping about at the slightest noise. Honestly, people, it's just not an issue.)
reech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I've never used SyncToy but any of these types of tools should work as the Kindle appears as a regular drive when it is plugged in. rsync is probably your best bet if you're not using a Windows OS.

The easy but basic option would be to just have a batch file or script which you run every time you plug the Kindle in. Somebody was trying to get it to work via the autorun facility in Windows but Windows won't allow you to have autorun files on a "hard disk" like the Kindle appears as unless you alter system settings.

jbcohen just can't keep away from the Kindle board for some reason. I don't I've ever seen a positive post from him regarding the Kindle.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
In the real world one of the many hats I wear si that of an information Security Officer. As such I am quite alarmed by Amazon's ability to reach into your Kindle and remove anything they like and it implies to me that if Amazon can do that anyone can do that in any way. If I so desire I can, with the right tools, delete anything from anyone's kindle at any time. This is one of the reason why I advise people with Kindles to never use the Wifi to go directly to the internet and instead go to the internet via your desktop computer where your PC's firewall can block intruders from removing content from your kindle.
Where did you hear this load of horse manure? They can only remove things from your "archive" which is their online storage/backup of your content, if they find that they illegally sold a book when they should not have, or other legal reasons. They are not able to directly remove content from your Kindle, whether wifi/3G is on or not. Your Kindle just sees the item is removed from your archive and uploads it again the next time you run an upload sync.

and even though I am new to this forum, I have already seen that too Tiersten. jbcohen just needs to go off to his own forum and let those of us that enjoy the Kindle, enjoy it.
Oh wait he has a $40 alurtek? Wow they have ZERO room to talk about a quality product like the Kindle, I am surprised that thing even worked more than a few days with as many that have been returned, refurbished and reconditioned....

Last edited by screwballl; 12-16-2010 at 04:27 PM.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
jbcohen

"archive" folders in Amazon Kindle act like a shared folder in Windows. Technically speaking, they can wipe out or delete whatever you have there, but never from your local drive or Kindle folder (the one that you use for you downloaded books)

There was a very commented issue this year about a book that was deleted but from a user's account at Amazon. Bezos apologized and I think the reason was copyright problems. Bezos himself said that will never happen again and no one should have deleted that since the very beginning.

Now, I don't work for Amazon ... and regardless of what they say, I download my books locally and I do have 3 backups: a Linux server at home, my Ubuntu Laptop and my the laptop I use at work. Call me paranoid, but because I'm an IT person, backups are my "daily breakfast"
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
your PC's firewall can block intruders from removing content from your kindle.
Really???? .... ...

If you believe on that and/or you feel safer because you use Windows Firewall or just a simple firewall, let me explode your bubble and bring you to real world!

A firewall is just a network or software device who inspects and check TCP/IP packets, based on some rules. That's it.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwball
if they find that they illegally sold a book when they should not have, or other legal reasons. They are not able to directly remove content from your Kindle, whether wifi/3G is on or not.
Uhmmm... at the risk of triggering more FUD, they certainly do have the ability to remove content from your Kindle if the wireless is turned on. Maybe you remember a big stink about it awhile back? Now, before I get fitted for a tinfoil hat... no, I'm not overly worried about it and I do believe they learned their lesson from the previous incident.

Carry on.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I think it is good advice - no matter where you buy your books from to back them up yourself. Don't rely on any retailer, including Amazon, to protect your interests.

I have no doubt that with the wireless on Amazon probably has the capability to manipulate Kindle files. However, I'm guessing from the estimates I've read there are probably around 7 or 8 million Kindles out there by now so I'm really doubting that they find the contents of my particular Kindle all that fascinating in a super secret spy let's see what our customers are up to kind of way.

I'm just not that unique.

But ... nobody will ever care about keeping your possessions as safe as you yourself do and I find it much more reassuring to know that I'll never have to call some Customer Service schmuck and beg for my book. I will always have my books.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
IMO, the only true backup requires you to remove the DRM. If you no longer own the device that your backup is keyed to then the backup is pretty worthless. That said I keep all my uninfested ebooks in Calibre which is backed up by my Dropbox account in real time and nightly by WHS and my entire PC is backed up Carbonite for offsite protection.
I think there is something to be said for a periodic 'full backup'. The main purpose would be to more easily restore the state of your Kindle in the event that a system reset is required. But it would also backup any annotations/bookmarks that you have created for non-Amazon content. These are not backed up with your Amazon account, Calibre doesn't store those files, and Carbonite won't back them up either unless they are on your PC somewhere.

And you'd also be able to strip DRM if it came down to that.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-16-2010 at 08:24 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:08 AM   #14
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I always make a backup, every week, of the contents of my Kindle on two seperate external disks. Not much work.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:52 AM   #15
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Backing up the Kindle is dead easy and you can either do it with a manual copy and paste, or you can use a simple backup tool to automate it to run with one click, e.g. the excellent freebie for which you could Google, Karen's Replicator. Just remember if doing a manual backup, that you need to make all the files and folders visible (i.e. no hidden files/folders) or it may not copy the vital control files on the Kindle like your collections configuration.
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote