Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Zoom Mode

Ok, what am I missing? I open a PDF and rotate to landscape. I then use Zoom Mode so that the top part of the page is readable and most of the margins are cropped. So far, so good.

Now I Lock the Zoom Mode. The top of the page is visible on the screen. When I use the arrow button, it takes me to the top of the next page, not the bottom of the page I was on. How do I see the bottom of the page in Lock mode?

Cutting out at least half of the text may make for wonderful speed reading, but it's a bit lacking in content.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I did just as you explained and got the same result. It seems that changing the view to landscape then zooming and locking, you are essentially locking the view to the top half of each page. I suspect if you were to remove the lock then page down to show the bottom half of a page, then do the zoom and lock procedure again, it would lock the bottom half on all subsequent page turns.

It seems this was the intended purpose of zoom lock....why I have no idea.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 12:19 AM   #3
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I makes Zoom/Lock almost useless as far as I'm concerned. Zoom by itself is ok, but with all those arrows, slider bars, etc. on the screen, I can't read a PDF like that.

Lock mode takes most of that off the screen, but without being able to see the rest of a page, I don't see what good it is. Perhaps if you have very small pages that just fit the screen in landscape (index cards anyone?), then Lock mode would work. But who the heck needs that?

Joe
Old 10-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I don't read PDF's with charts or graphs but if I'm reading a text based PDF i will usually just read in landscape mode. For me, the text is large enough and retains the formatting that reflow messes up in portrait mode.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Ok, what am I missing? I open a PDF and rotate to landscape. I then use Zoom Mode so that the top part of the page is readable and most of the margins are cropped. So far, so good.

Now I Lock the Zoom Mode. The top of the page is visible on the screen. When I use the arrow button, it takes me to the top of the next page, not the bottom of the page I was on. How do I see the bottom of the page in Lock mode?

Cutting out at least half of the text may make for wonderful speed reading, but it's a bit lacking in content.

Joe
Have you tried any of the options under the Page Mode menu available in the Zoom menu to make your PDFs more readable in landscape mode? There are options for fit width and full page. The latter is specially designed for landscape mode according to the manual.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 03:05 AM   #6
jgray
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by induna View Post
Have you tried any of the options under the Page Mode menu available in the Zoom menu to make your PDFs more readable in landscape mode? There are options for fit width and full page. The latter is specially designed for landscape mode according to the manual.
Yes, I have tried those options. The fit width leaves too much margin, which is why I want to do a custom zoom.

The reason I want to use lock mode is to get rid of all the arrows and other distractions that cover the document. Having all that stuff on screen lessens the usability of zoom mode (without lock). The fact that you can only see part of a page when locked makes that mode much less useful than it could be. Someone didn't do enough usability testing before finalizing the firmware IMO.

In general, I love my new 650. It just needs a few tweaks here and there.

Joe