Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
italianReader
Connoisseur
italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: onyx boox 60
sony prs 600 vs Onyx boox 60

I would like to compare those devices.

In an other thread something has already been written but i think that maybe it's better opening a specific thread.

So, here is an opinion (i hope there's no problem if i paste it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I spent a while at my local Borders Books today because they had the new Sony Readers on display. I think the Boox is better than the Touch edition in almost every way: response time is faster, it has more sketch options, the screen is sharper, and the quality of the sketched lines is higher. And last but not least, the Boox has folder support. The PRS-600 does have one ability that the Boox does not; I could underline and draw on a reflowed PDF.
Someone has something to add?
italianReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately, I suspect that very few of us have ever seen the Onyx device, so it's difficult to make a comparison. All I can say is that personally I'm extremely happy with the PRS-600. If the Onyx is even better, that's great, but I really don't think that too many people would be unhappy with a 600.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
1. New BOOX firmware has note adding options, exactly the same format as IREX iliad. (using PNG template) but there is no PC program support.
2. Writing note has slightly problem with ac-curating and calibration.
3. ONYX supplied SDK for developing program. There are two samples now, Calculator and Picture Manager.
4. Wireless Bug with WEP. (there is trick to do but not 100% fix)
5. cannot enter URL for browser but there is a HTML file for manually enter URL. (from MOBREAD forum)
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
italianReader
Connoisseur
italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
1. New BOOX firmware has note adding options, exactly the same format as IREX iliad. (using PNG template) but there is no PC program support.
3. ONYX supplied SDK for developing program. There are two samples now, Calculator and Picture Manager.
5. cannot enter URL for browser but there is a HTML file for manually enter URL. (from MOBREAD forum)
Can you explain better the second point?
And...Can you take notes with a virtual keybord on the onyx?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
for empty new note, (not PDF)
I feel the ink shown not exact at the pen point. I try calibration several time but it is still. It is quite hard taking note (compare with my IREX).
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:42 AM   #6
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
Hi, what version are you using? The 1.2 version or the 1.2.1 version? If the earlier, please update again. It does help. Also you cannot put url in the browser, that was on purpose. It is designed to appeal to content providers so it does not look like we let people easily go to a competitors' website. However if the content provider approves, then Onyx can easily put it on there.

Also, note sketching on PDF's is only done on the smallest font. However, if you use the zoom option instead of the font option, you can still sketch on the pdf at bigger fonts. Be sure to use the drag box zoom option to be specific on where you want to zoom to.

As for the calibration and accurate writing, where are you having the problems? Is it anywhere on the screen or only close to the edgest?
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:43 AM   #7
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianReader View Post
I would like to compare those devices.

In an other thread something has already been written but i think that maybe it's better opening a specific thread.

So, here is an opinion (i hope there's no problem if i paste it)

Someone has something to add?
You can now notetake or sketch on a reflowed PDF with the updated firmware with Onyx Boox.
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:09 AM   #8
tommik
Connoisseur
tommik began at the beginning.

Device: Poke Pro, Onyx Boox 60
I bought Onyx because of better screen than it was in PRS-600. Besides I read in few languages and I needed many dictionaries. Onyx allows you to add many dictionaries. Folder support was also very important for me. I think that Onyx has better technical support, new firmwares are released. And Onyx was cheaper for me, because its box contains all you need, you don't have to buy separately the charge and the cover. Finally, I have Onyx distributor in my country.
tommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
GyGeek
Connoisseur
GyGeek is on a distinguished road

Device: Samsung Q1 Ultra, Boox 60, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOnyx View Post
Also you cannot put url in the browser, that was on purpose. It is designed to appeal to content providers so it does not look like we let people easily go to a competitors' website. However if the content provider approves, then Onyx can easily put it on there.
I think this is a mistake. Makers of E-ink devices like Amazon and Nook are distributing the devices with an end objective at selling content. They don't WANT readers accessing free content; they believe that if there were too much of it, people wouldn't pay for content, the books they make available in other words. I don't use the other devices because access to book content only is provided, and the workarounds to get web content onto the devices are too inefficient and time consuming. In other words, I want to access it directly, and I wanted access on my book reading device, displayed with E-ink. The wifi connection on the Boox makes that possible to some degree.

I will only read books on the Boox that I can import to the device. If Amazon and B&N made new ebooks readily available on the Boox, I would buy them. This mentality that the E-ink devices for books should be exclusive to book reading is ridiculous, and is one of the fundamental reasons they have not caught on with the general public.
GyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
GyGeek
Connoisseur

Quote:
Can you explain better the second point?
And...Can you take notes with a virtual keybord on the onyx?
Note taking on the device would not be practical, the response just isn't there. Notes annotated onto a PDF document is adequate and is worthwhile IMO. In other words, I could find a use for it in a classroom setting, but fresh notes in class wouldn't be worthwhile.

Taking notes with the virtual keyboard would not be worth doing in the least.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:12 AM   #11
italianReader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyGeek View Post
Note taking on the device would not be practical, the response just isn't there. Notes annotated onto a PDF document is adequate and is worthwhile IMO. In other words, I could find a use for it in a classroom setting, but fresh notes in class wouldn't be worthwhile.

Taking notes with the virtual keyboard would not be worth doing in the least.
And so, if i got what you meant, the writing function using the pen is worthwhile just on pdf documents for short notes whereas that one using the virtual keyboard is next to never useful?
Old 01-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
GyGeek
Connoisseur

Yes, using the virtual keyboard is much too cumbersome to reach any kind of efficiency. Making notes on pdf documents works well.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #13
italianReader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyGeek View Post
Yes, using the virtual keyboard is much too cumbersome to reach any kind of efficiency. Making notes on pdf documents works well.
but...how much responsive is the wacom screen written by the pen?
Old 01-11-2010, 04:02 AM   #14
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
but...how much responsive is the wacom screen written by the pen?
From my experience with Iliad, writing isn't the same as on Table PCs. The main reason for this is the slow refresh of the e-Ink screen.
I agree with the previous post though. Making annotations in PDF or sketching is ok, taking notes during lectures, no way.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #15
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommik View Post
Finally, I have Onyx distributor in my country.
Would that be the IE or PL country
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, onyx