Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Online Bookstores

Alright, I've done a few searches and not come up with any threads that have previously discussed it. However, I'm quite sure it's already been done to death...

In any case, I'm now nosing about trying to find good places to buy books online for my Cybook.

I thought I'd start a list and hopefully people can add stores, with comments.

If I say "standard browsing" I mean you pick a fiction subcategory, and that's it, you get screens of books but no other way to browse.

For a quick and dirty estimate of how well stocked the store is I'm going to list how many are in what I understand is a popular genre for forum users here, Science Fiction.

Mobipocket

Shop by, as I understand it, the guys who own the format.

Standard pricing.
Standard browsing.
3276 science fiction books.

Cyber Read

Large bookstore, haven't seen much discussion of it here.

Standard pricing.
Standard browsing (although there are many more subcategories, most of these are a little unusual and sparse)
1582 science fiction books.

Fictionwise

Large bookstore. Has discounts. There's a club you pay a subscription for to get further discounts. The discounts are in the form of micropay which gives you a discount on your next purchase. Some of their books have 100% micropay rebates, which means you pay for the book as normal, and then you have free credit. E.g. you'd pay 10 dollars for a book, and then have 10 dollars of store credit left over. There are some catches I believe. They not only have standard DRMed Mobipocket books, but also ones without DRM, making for a larger selection.

Discounted pricing.
Standard browsing - Although they do seem to link book series together.
4335 science fiction books

Books On Board

Large bookstore. The discounts in this store are mainly straight discounts from the price you pay. They do also have reward dollars on selected books, which equates to store credit. Like fictionwise they also have other books to bring up the numbers.

Discounted pricing
Standard browsing
6201 science fiction books

Webscriptions (BAEN)

A non-standard bookstore. Baen is a publisher run ebookstore ( but it's begun to add other publishers). None of the titles have DRM, and is available in multiple formats.You can download multiple copies of each format.

Non-standard pricing
monthly bundles
no DRM
God knows how many books
usually the best price
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
that's a really great idea, and thanks for taking the trouble to do it, but it might be better if you add your suggestions to the wiki lists instead of starting a new thread.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores_table

the wiki has lots of good information. there is a link to it in the upper left corner of the page.

have fun finding some good books to read...

cheers !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
You should add Powells to the wiki. They have a pretty good selection and fair prices. I've sometimes found an item there which was not on any other site.

http://www.powells.com/psection/Micr...dereBooks.html
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
I'm not going to use the Wiki. I'm going to use my post here and edit it - as and when I have time over the next week.

I would also very much appreciate it if whichever moderator edited my original post would kindly refrain from doing so. I will keep the top post updated. I'm going to work it so that it's the thread I would want to read, which means I'll need to do the editing myself. I do however appreciate your willingness to help

As for the Wiki, well, I'm not sure the Wiki is the best place for this - probably because I've never edited a wiki before and have no wish to spend any time learning. Anyone please feel free if you think any information is worthwhile to stick it in the Wiki.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
well, i suggested the wiki partly because there are already 2 pages with lists like this, and it seems more logical to me to try to consolidate such ressources, rather than dispersing them. anyone can edit the wiki, so you can even add your links to the list which is already there rather than begin a new one (and make the giant One True List ).

also, this page will likely end up getting buried unless you update it very very often, whereas the wiki pages are probably easier to find.

if you don't feel comfortable using the wiki i'm sure someone would be glad to give you some tips (hint : ask user DaleDe). i don't think it's any more complicated than making a post in the forum, so don't be scared...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
I agree forum posts get lost and wiki pages are easier to find plus all the information can be consolidated. Very good points.

I found this page
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, this thread should be moved. It belongs in a more general section and I am going to move it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote