Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Paulo Coelho Novels on sale for $0.99

Looks like a HarperCollins sale, many of Paulo Coelho's ebooks are reduced from $9.99+ down to $0.99. He is best known for The Alchemist (not among on sale). Amazon and Kobo have the reduced prices, B&N and Sony have not update yet.

Veronika Decides to Die - Kobo / Amazon
Quote:
The bestselling Brazilian author of The Alchemist delicately etches this morose but ultimately uplifting story of the suicidal Veronika, who creeps along the boundary between life and death, sanity and madness, happiness and despair. Veronika, 24, works in a library in Ljubljana, Slovenia, and rents a room in a convent; she is an attractive woman with friends and family, but feelings of powerlessness and apathy tempt her to find "freedom" in an overdose of sleeping pills.

Eleven Minutes
- Kobo / Amazon
Quote:
"Once upon a time, there was a prostitute called Maria"-thus begins Coelho's latest novel, a book that cannot decide whether it wants to be fairy tale or saga of sexual discovery, so ends up satisfying the demands of neither. In his dedication, bestselling Brazilian novelist Coelho (The Alchemist) tells readers that his book will deal with issues that are "harsh, difficult, shocking," but neither his tame forays into S&M nor his rather technical observations about female anatomy and the sad but hardly new fact that many women are dissatisfied with their sex lives will do much to shock American readers.

Brida - Kobo / Amazon
Quote:
Coelho’s loyal fan base will welcome the U.S. publication of Brida, another mystical pilgrimage from the master of the genre. Readers familiar with The Alchemist (1993), The Zahir (2005), and The Witch of Portobello (2007) will recognize the common themes—mysticism, discipleship, and a quest for fulfillment—that are incandescently woven into the fabric of most of his fiction. Brida O’Fern, a young Irishwoman, embarks on a voyage of self-discovery, ultimately resulting in a spiritual awakening and an acceptance of her own supernatural powers.

Fifth Mountain - Kobo / Amazon
Quote:
This fascinating retelling of the biblical story of the prophet Elijah by Brazilian novelist Coelho is smoothly translated to read like a modern novel. The fleshed-out tale follows Elijah as he flees his homeland of Israel, where Jezebel, Phoenician wife of the king, had ordered the murder of all who reject the pagan god Baal, to Zarephath (Akbar). Elijah's spiritual crises continue after he is taken in by a widow and her son, following his direction from an angel, and ultimately falls in love with the widow. The movement of the novel comes from Elijah's introspective struggle with faith as he confronts his troubles, but the result is neither dull nor preachy and should find a niche among readers of popular fiction.
The four books listed above were on a list I found of top 5 Paulo Coelho Books (the other one was The Alchemist), but there are more book on sale. You can find them easily by doing a search for the author's name at your favourite bookstore.

Here are the titles of the other books for $0.99:
The Pilgrimage
The Valkyries
Warrior of the Light
By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
The Devil and Miss Prym
The Winner Stands Alone
The Witch of Portobello
The Zahir
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Here's a low-to-high author name ePub-only sorted linkage for Kobo (12 titles at the sale price for Canadians) and one for Amazon main as well, to save people some typing.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I didn't have time for all the links last night.

I'm only familiar with The Alchemist, which I read and liked, despite the religious overtones. I had a quick look at the descriptions of these books this morning and one clicked The Devil and Miss Prym, Brida, Veronika Decides to Die, Eleven Minutes, and The Witch of Portobello.

*skips off to arcadata's thread to see what else went on sale overnight*

Last edited by Synamon; 05-01-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
bookfunloving
bookfunloving began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
fantastic!
bookfunloving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
Andreiuta
Zealot
Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thanks! I got:
* By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
* Brida
* Eleven Minutes
Andreiuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The only Coelho I've read is The Winner Stands Alone, and it was oddly fascinating. At this price, it's definitely worth a look.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Synamon
Lunatic

I'd been waffling on By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept, but grabbed it when I found out that is the first book of the series called And on the Seventh Day since I'd already bought the other two books in the series (Veronika Decides to Die and The Devil and Miss Prym).

I'm still thinking on a couple of others and for $0.99 I should probably just buy them. Also, I'm now craving waffles with maple syrup.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Synamon
Lunatic

You can find the $0.99 prices for the US and Canada at all the ebookstores now.

Here is a link Wetdogeared posted this morning from Paulo Coelho's blog about this price reduction on his books.
Quote:
For years I have been advocating that free content is not a thread to the book business. In lowering the price of a book and equaling it to the price of a song in iTunes, the reader will be encouraged to pay for it, instead of downloading it for free.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I like Coelho's attitude. I have a freebie promo copy of The Alchemist from the now-defunct Borders store Brida from Kobo, actually.

I think I'll read it and if I like his prose, scoop his sale books for which the blurbs and samples read well to help prove his point to his publishers. Or maybe just scoop the lot, since it'll work out to less than $15 CAD and I spend about that much on late-night discount sushi anyway.

Last edited by ATDrake; 05-03-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Wrong book by different author, but it turns out I have a backup readthrough option.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
lucasfernan89
Fanatic
lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'lucasfernan89 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle
Brilliant! Must take advantage of this!
lucasfernan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I always thought these books looked interesting, and the price is just right--I bought 5 of 'em.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #12
Julia_
Julia_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Julia_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Julia_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Julia_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Julia_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony 350, Kindle 3
But not for us in Germany. I could cry. I like Coelho very much.
Julia_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #13
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia_ View Post
But not for us in Germany. I could cry. I like Coelho very much.
Same here in Belgium.

Then again, he wants us to read his stuff for free. Which, of course, makes me want to pay for his work. Which I did.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've never read his work, but I certainly love his attitude! Which books would you recommend? Top 3?
Thanks for your help.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
Synamon
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
I've never read his work, but I certainly love his attitude! Which books would you recommend? Top 3?
Thanks for your help.
Goodreads is pretty reliable for popularity and ranking of author's works. His author page is a good place to start: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/566.Paulo_Coelho

Last edited by Synamon; 05-04-2012 at 12:01 PM.