Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #271
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
@kiwidude - I knew it was an ugly hack, I just didn't know another way to do it.

You're exactly right: metadata plugboards are a much cleaner, more elegant, and safer way I can accomplish the same thing.

I figured I was either brilliant or missing something--and now I know which.

Thanks,
Jim
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #272
RichieTheK
Enthusiast
RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 (2012), Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4
I would like to see a plugin that would allow selecting one of several templates when "saving books to disk", similar to the plugin "Quick Preferences" for "adding books".
RichieTheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #273
joeindallas
Enthusiast
joeindallas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I've searched and found references to using overdrive as a source for metadata, but ...

I'd love to see a plugin for finding library books through Overdrive. Ideally, it would be configurable so that I could set what libraries I'm able to borrow books from, and then be able to check availability for books that I'm looking for. (usually new releases). Anyone else have similar needs, or a method that currently works for them?
joeindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #274
kbullkar
kbullkar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (2xkb,1xt,xoom,ipad,ipad2,pc,2xmac), nook(kids-ipad), ade(mac)
Data Normalization

I have been using Calibre for a little while now, and like it alot. There is some functionality I would want that I don't see, so I have been thinking about writing a plug-in that would meet my needs.

Essentially, this is about data normalization with a few extra things... This would be a single plugin that does a broad range of normalization features. It is not meant to do/replace QC or duplicate finder, just normalize the data set.

Unfortunately, when I plug in my Kindle and sync it my tags get all messed up, so this is something I go through periodically.

- Tags: These get to be a mess quickly. In a lot of cases Amazon has multiple variations of the same tags. I would want to create a tag normalization table where I have a set of master tags that I can "map" other tags. Additionally, it would provide a report of tags that are not mapped to the master list (and would leave them so as not to lose the information). I am leaning towards splitting out Tags into Genre's and Tag's using a custom column (and possibly another field for tags that are less about the book and more about the book in relation to the user, e.g. "read" "to read" "liked" "hated"), but haven't finalized my thoughts there. Also, I have been thinking about tags and series... I always find it bizarre when 2/3 books in a trilogy are marked mystery and the 3rd is marked suspense, so possibly some series-wide normalization (maybe more genre-wise than tag-wise if I split that out).

- Authors: First off, I have multiple e-readers and manage a relatively large library (8k+ books) for myself/parents/sister. Some pull in books as LN, FN some as FN LN. That is a relatively simple issue, I have a stored regexp that fixes this, though there are some times where there are exceptions (, Jr. or , III) and I need a better way of dealing with those rather than converting them back at the end (or at least automating that re-conversion). When there are more than 3 authors, I use "multiple authors" as the author name (and generally this is an anthology or short story collection) - the same goes with anything that has editor, ed. etc. in the author name. Some authors have written under pseudonyms and I like to standardize them to their "real" or most accepted current name. Some authors are listed both with and without a middle initial.

- Series: Not only do I have books that are in multiple series, but in some cases the metadata for the name of the series is recorded differently and needs to be normalized. I would also like the ability to track series by a single author vs. series with multiple authors, and use that to help with some of the author normalization. Last, I would like a report of which books in the series it thinks I am missing (and ideally would be able to search Good Reads or Amazon for the name of that book and author and search my library just to see if it is missing the series label.). I do have some "special" series numbers I use (e.g. 99.xx for extras) and lots of the series have had books added in the middle (so it is number 2.5 in the series, squeezed between 2 and 3) - and I am not planning on attacking that right now (other than not to consider a gap between 2 99 as missing books 3-98).

- Title: I have a Kindle Touch right now, so collections are broken, and one day they might return, but one thing that really annoys me is the way it sorts books. Even in a collection, it doesn't order the series by which book in the series. When I have a series, I would like the series name, number, then title to show in the title field. I am thinking I will need to move the title into a customer field and then have the real title field that is used to create the books hidden and make it a composite record. Also, there are some titles that are all-caps, and I need to convert those to title case.

Right now, this is just a pie-in-the-sky desire, but something I plan on starting to play with. My initial thought is to develop this myself for myself (no UI plugins needed, just customize the python scripts as I go), though I think it might interest other people. If I just haven't found the plugin that is out there that does these things, please point it out to me. If anyone else is interested in the same type of normalization tool and is either interested in tinkering around / learning in tandem or mentoring, think that would be cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@schuster - I do like the idea of being able to track down books that need larger covers or invalid metadata. It could indeed be fairly easily done as a plugin. Does anyone else have any other suggestions for criteria by which they would like to isolate books that isn't available with the current search?

I'll add a couple more plugin ideas here so I don't forget them...
  • A "Cover Generator" plugin. Calibre has one built in, but it isn't flexible for people who want to have their own cover images. Quite often particularly for the likes of short stories there is no commercial/official cover available. I remember seeing a ticket ages ago for someone wanting to the ability to have different covers for different genres. I think a plugin that let you define a bunch of possible images, and you then choose one when you generate would be useful to me at least (not a fan of the default image). Potentially there could be more control over the text that appears on it as well - any suggestions for what you might want to see let me know.
  • I mentioned on another thread an idea for a "Tag Cleaner". It would use a similar approach to that in the Goodreads Metadata download plugin of defining a mapping between input tags and tags you want to use in your library. You would have a gui allowing you to customise and control which tags map to each and discard any you do not have a mapping for. It would work across metadata sources (including the ability to remap the Goodreads tags) as you would do it as a separate step after your normal Ctrl+D download. So if you are frustrated with getting a dozen variants of "sci-fi, scifi, science fiction" this would automatically resolve them rather than manually retyping the tags yourself.
kbullkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #275
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@kbullkar - welcome to MobileRead.

As you found in my quoted text, the idea of some kind of tag mapping tool has floated around for a while. I lost any personal motivation to write it because nowadays I just use the Goodreads plugin for my tags, and I ensured that it has a tag mapping mechanism inside it that does all I need. I know this doesn't help people out there who have existing tags, unless they are willing to erase them all and just grab from Goodreads, but as that is a possible workaround my care factor isn't sufficient to spend the time coding an alternative . That doesn't not mean someone else could not do so of course, I am sure there would be users who would like it.

For series/title, have you looked into metadata plugboards? They should solve your issues with prefixing the title with the series when sending to your Kindle. You can get a report of books missing in a series out of the Quality Check plugin. However it can never tell when a series is missing "later" books, nor does it have any integration with websites like Goodreads.

As for authors, what I do is use the Quick Preferences plugin to juggle between my various regexes when importing. It doesn't however solve the "FN LN" vs "LN, FN" issue. Trying to come up with a universal name switching algorithm is problematic as Kovid/chaley have mentioned a few times, particularly when you consider calibre is used to store non-english named authors as well. Usually I have drilled down into that author with a search (in combination with Alt+A) before I add a book for that author. So it is easy enough to do a copy/paste from the "proper" author name of an existing entry over the top of the new book - either individually or via the bulk editor dialog. For when multiple authors, I agree it is a pain, and I personally end up manually retyping the whole series in LN1, FN1 & LN2, FN2 &... format. But it doesn't happen often enough for me to code up an alternative

Good luck should you choose to write something...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #276
kbullkar
kbullkar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (2xkb,1xt,xoom,ipad,ipad2,pc,2xmac), nook(kids-ipad), ade(mac)
@kiwidude - thanks for the response. :-)

To be clear, these are things I don't think should be "natively" in the program, as you pointed out, they are too specific to a users preferences and region. Possibly the ability to mark some records not to be over-written while allow others to be updated...

The goodreads metadata source plugin (1.0.9) is awesome, unfortunately, there is so much bad data on goodreads right now (as least as I am concerned - I tend to tweak title's and author names a lot...), and I haven't figured out how to mark a record so that it doesn't get re-messed up after I manually change it, so I have mostly stopped using it for now. (I need to get better at custom fields and search/mark/update custom fields)

I did find out about the plugboard options, but have been unsuccessful in getting it to work with my Kindle Touch (no problem with the "keyboard" kindle my parents have though... suspect it may be an issue similar to the collections?)

I am still trying to figure out the QC plug-in (1.7.0)- which is also very cool. There is a lot of weirdness for me there (granted, probably some/mostly error between the chair and the keyboard)... for instance, the check metadata for author's with comma's doesn't seem to work right when there are multiple authors, for instance, it missed the following entries (which are picked up by a search author=","):
Konrath, J. A. & Henry Perez
c/oAnderson & Dunn, Meghan & Barker, Lydia
Gerrard, Alex & Coleen Maguire
Grogan, Michelle & Michelle Grogan & Kip Ayers
Eason, Jack & Huntman, Gerry & Knowlton, R. A. & Gerry Huntman & R. A. Knowlton
Matthews, Thomas K. & Thomas K Matthews
Stoecklin, Eileen & Eileen Stoecklin
Tsui, Drake & MangaMagazine

(this also points out why the LN, FN vs. FN LN on import doesn't work - I seem to have an inordinate number of books that have author's names recorded both ways...)... and I really wish I could do these changes in the "manage xxx" (e.g. manage author) instead of in the main section... is there a reference for the database structure? Is it normalized such that I could make some python scripts to clean up the author, tag, and series tables directly?

Some of my things could be feature requests to the QC plugin, for instance, if I have a cover.jpg in the directory that doesn't match what is in the epub, I would like that reported, and I would like to be able to step through and choose to either replace the one in the e-pub, replace the one in the folder, do nothing, or do a cover search... or maybe if I can figure out how to add a custom button to the edit metadata screen that let me do this... I suspect this is more a me thing than something useful to most people anyway...

The "report" I get from QC is really more of a "what series have gaps" than the "what is missing in the series" that I am looking for - and I haven't figured out how to output the results of a search to a file for looking at later or importing to a set of scripts that would pull down all of the books in a series and then cross reference them... maybe I could do something that created placeholder book records? (again, I expect there is a good bit of error between the chair and keyboard here).

I am on 0.8.36 and am about to update to 0.8.37, hopefully that will fix some of my issues. :-)

Unfortunately, my ambition seems to be better than my python skills and my desire greater than my time. I am in no rush.

I want to stress how much I appreciate everything you and Kovid (and others) have done to make this program awesome. I hate coming across like what you do isn't good enough... I hope you take my rambling as just the fluid thoughts from someone who probably should be crashing after an all-nighter and long-day of work...

Last edited by kbullkar; 01-27-2012 at 06:33 PM.
kbullkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #277
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@kbulkar - if you have some issues/suggestions with the Quality Check plugin, can I suggest you post them on that plugin thread instead? It will make it easier for me to not forget them/respond there.

Author FN LN -> LN, FN - thats a fairly frequently topic. I suggest you do a search in the library management subforum, there is some useful information in the help pages about it. It is more complicated than it needs to be (imo) but Kovid knows I love prodding him about it every now and then

For goodreads metadata (or any other source for that matter) - I recommend you untick the "Title" and "Author" columns in the preferences for downloading metadata. That way your books will stay with the original title/authors you put into them in calibre, and not get corrupted if either by chance the metadata download gets the wrong book, or gets some bad capitalisation/omnibus edition or whatever that happend to come back first in the search results. You can change those preferences either from the edit metadata dialog of from Preferences->Metadata download.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #278
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
How about a plugin to support the input and conversion of eTextbooks formated in the
Wolfram (Mathematica) "Computable Document Format (.cdf). The construction of the
files looks, to me, like an XML/HTML based construct and Calibre seems to work well
with such ebook/document formats.

A look to the subject through the free eTextbook site, http://www.ck12.org should provide
a start to see if it is practical to create a plugin for it.

This is in hopes that Ectaco's new Color jetBook can handle it, at some point.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 02-04-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #279
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I asked some time ago if it is possible to extract only some tags from epubs.
eg "description".
It isn't possible, right?

So I suggest a plugin for calibre where it is possible to define which tags should be extracted from epubs.
salines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #280
st_claire
st_claire began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I'd love to be able to set up Calibre as a shared library. Something where different users could "check out" an ebook, to ensure only one user reads it at a time.

I tried to search to see if this had already been suggested, but couldn't find mention of it. My apologies if this has already been mentioned.
st_claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #281
cadmus
cadmus is on a distinguished road

Device: none
plugin to put higlights and notes into the original PDF file

IDEA:
When viewing a PDF both the kindle and the SONY do not edit the pdf. they just view it and save all highlights and annotations elsewhere. the output documents for both the kindle and the sony are useless as they are not spatially linked (or embedded) into the original document. I need a plug in that adds the notes, scribbles and/or higlights i make when viewing a PDF file on my ereader back into the original PDF file when using my prs-t1.

There is a way to do this using python scripts on both linux and windows as shown here:
http://hoheinzollern.wordpress.com/2...to-svg-or-pdf/
and
https://github.com/rschroll/prsannots
but it is over my head. i think having Calibre do it would be cleaner.
cadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #282
ntome
ntome began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by naarcissus View Post
Would like to see a plugin to import ComicRack metadata from CBZ, CBR, CB7, etc.

Then, if possible, to export data into a ComicInfo.xml [probably not fea$able for the proprietary CBR(RAR) format]

An example ComicInfo.xml I made by filling in all the possible info in ComicRack:
Spoiler:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ComicInfo xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
  <Title>The Title</Title>
  <Series>Some Series</Series>
  <Number>3</Number>
  <Count>10</Count>
  <Volume>6</Volume>
  <AlternateSeries>Alt Series or Storyline Title</AlternateSeries>
  <AlternateNumber>5</AlternateNumber>
  <AlternateCount>6</AlternateCount>
  <Summary>Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Vestibulum tortor quam, feugiat vitae, ultricies eget, tempor sit amet, ante. Donec eu libero sit amet quam egestas semper. Aenean ultricies mi vitae est. Mauris placerat eleifend leo. Quisque sit amet est et sapien ullamcorper pharetra. Vestibulum erat wisi, condimentum sed, commodo vitae, ornare sit amet, wisi. Aenean fermentum, elit eget tincidunt condimentum, eros ipsum rutrum orci, sagittis tempus lacus enim ac dui. Donec non enim in turpis pulvinar facilisis. Ut felis. Praesent dapibus, neque id cursus faucibus, tortor neque egestas augue, eu vulputate magna eros eu erat. Aliquam erat volutpat. Nam dui mi, tincidunt quis, accumsan porttitor, facilisis luctus, metus</Summary>
  <Notes>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.
   Aliquam tincidunt mauris eu risus.
   Vestibulum auctor dapibus neque.</Notes>
  <Year>2012</Year>
  <Month>1</Month>
  <Writer>Writer Doe</Writer>
  <Penciller>John Penciller</Penciller>
  <Inker>Inker Smith</Inker>
  <Colorist>Jane Colorist</Colorist>
  <Letterer>Letterer Jones</Letterer>
  <CoverArtist>Cove R Artist</CoverArtist>
  <Editor>Editor in Chief</Editor>
  <Publisher>Publisher Publishing Inc.</Publisher>
  <Imprint>Imprint inc</Imprint>
  <Genre>Horror, Sci-fi</Genre>
  <Web>http://comicrack.cyolito.com/</Web>
  <PageCount>9</PageCount>
  <LanguageISO>en</LanguageISO>
  <Format>Magazine</Format>
  <AgeRating>Teen</AgeRating>
  <BlackAndWhite>No</BlackAndWhite>
  <Manga>No</Manga>
  <Characters>Jill, John, Jane, Monster, Mr. Sample,</Characters>
  <Teams>Good Guys, Bad Guys,</Teams>
  <Locations>Somewhere Near, Somewhere Far, Somewhere Else</Locations>
  <ScanInformation>Scanner or Scanlator Info</ScanInformation>
  <Pages>
    <Page Image="0" Bookmark="Page 1" ImageSize="518228" ImageWidth="854" ImageHeight="480" PagePosition="Near" Type="FrontCover" />
    <Page Image="1" ImageSize="175015" ImageWidth="720" ImageHeight="480" Type="InnerCover" />
    <Page Image="2" ImageSize="488604" ImageWidth="854" ImageHeight="480" Type="Roundup" />
    <Page Image="3" ImageSize="94022" ImageWidth="300" ImageHeight="371" />
    <Page Image="4" ImageSize="358671" ImageWidth="854" ImageHeight="480" Type="Advertisement" />
    <Page Image="5" ImageSize="330315" ImageWidth="854" ImageHeight="480" Type="Editorial" />
    <Page Image="6" ImageSize="413156" ImageWidth="854" ImageHeight="480" Type="Letters" />
    <Page Image="7" ImageSize="285483" ImageWidth="720" ImageHeight="480" Type="Preview" />
    <Page Image="8" ImageSize="399987" ImageWidth="1022" ImageHeight="1280" Rotation="Rotate90" Type="BackCover" />
  </Pages>
</ComicInfo>

Supports all kinds of info except, notably, Tags and IDs. Though there is a script (for ComicRack) to export tags to the notes section (so an option for this might be handy).

I was looking to something like that.
any development?
ntome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #283
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@ntome - I haven't seen anyone post on these forums about progressing that idea so if you feel motivated to develop it yourself, go for it.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #284
TMF
Enthusiast
TMF began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Merging EPUBs

I'd appreciate a plugin that allows easy merging of EPUB books into one, for creating omnibus editions or creating short story compilations. The discussion at this thread contains a link to an Apache-licensed Python script that could be used as a basis for this.
TMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #285
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
I'd appreciate a plugin that allows easy merging of EPUB books into one, for creating omnibus editions or creating short story compilations. The discussion at this thread contains a link to an Apache-licensed Python script that could be used as a basis for this.
It's on my 'wishlist' of things to do.

I wrote the epubmerge.py referred to, and I've since written a plugin. So odds are I'll get to it someday--if somebody else doesn't do it first.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chatbot, epub fix, epub-fix, google books, metadata calibre title, pdf, pdf and calibre, plugin development