Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #1816
pachobv
pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindlePaperwhite
Hi, does this work with kindle paperwhite?

Thank you
Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #1817
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachobv View Post
Hi, does this work with kindle paperwhite?

Thank you
No, it doesn't.

But, yes it does, if you are willing to jailbreak the device, and then install ixtab's Collections Manager (see the Kindle Developer's Corner).
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #1818
Brightmoon
Brightmoon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Can anyone confirm that custom fonts are supposed to work on a non-jailbroken Kindle Keyboard (global 3G) running v3.4?

Using calibre 0.9.14 and the plugin from the OP, I can select a custom font (tried Georgia, New Baskerville and Droid Sans) successfully and enable the user font option. After rebooting the Kindle, the font menu changes from

regular | condensed | sans

to

std | sans | mono | alt

where std and sans work as before, but mono and alt both show up as the default Kindle font. Selecting std causes the menu to revert to its previous configuration.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #1819
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@slantybard: First, make sure you're using the latest version of my tweaked version.

And, yes, you *do* need to do an import in CM each time you make changes with the plugin on Calibre's side. (You also seem to be a bit confused as to how the Home screen sorting works, but that's another thing).

@bookwench: Kindle 5 (Touch/PaperWhite) support will only work on jailbroken devices with ixtab's Collection manager and my tweaked version of the plugin.

@MCPP: Which language is your device using? (If possible, PM me your collections.json file).

@sitrucz: See my answer to @bookwench .

@Goatbert: Use my tweaked version of the plugin, it correctly hides the unsupported stuff, among other things.

@storageman: Not sure I got everything, but Calibre's device view doesn't completely support Kindle collections, so that, at least, is completely normal . As for 'moving' books, a collections is essentially a tag, not a folder, so, yes.

@Vaesse: What does the plugboard look like? You can also check that the plugin's setting didn't change. Can't say much more without logs, but you wouldn't happen to have moved from mobi files to azw3?

@mfsav2: Assuming you're using a Touch/PaperWhite, you need to use ixtab's Collection manager.

@ginakra: What does the report (from the plugin) look like?

@Brightmoon: At least on old mobi files, yes. Some (or all, didn't check) KF8 files might not honor this, though.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #1820
sorrowdebt
sorrowdebt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Question about Nested Collections and the "back" button

Hello, I'm new writing here, but I've been luring for a while.

I'm using a jailbreaked Kindled Touch with the wonderful PI by ixtab, Collections Manager which is amazingly useful.

But I've been encountering a "error" or maybe a non-supported action: When I finish a book inside a nested collection and try to use the "back button" (little arrow" to go back to the content of the collection the book is in, I get a blank page and have to "go back" again... that takes me to the collection's tree from where I can re-enter the collection and select another book.

I don't know if it's clear enough... but imagine I' have the following structure:
->Authors
---->A-B
---->C-D
------->Caa.mobi
------->Cbb.mobi

When I finish reading "Caa.mobi" and I go back to "C-D", "C-D" shows up blank and I have to get to the screen showing "A-B" and "C-D" inside "Authors" and enter "C-D" again to go to the next book.

This is a small thing, but I'm really into short fiction and novella, so I keep going back all the time to collections containign 90-100 books... maybe there's another way to go back and I just don't know, so sorry if I'm making no sense!

Thanks a lot and sorry for my English!
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #1821
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

I figured my issue out (kind of) after sleeping on it. Turns out I was looking at it backwards (I rarely look at the device through Calibre unless something has gone wrong). The books that were showing the series info in Calibre were the bugged ones, the ones with just author and title were fine on my Kindle. Removing and readding those solved the problem.

I would love to figure out how it gets bugged and avoid that for the future, but at least I found a solution (even if it's not ideal, because I lose me place in all the bugged books, and I'm usually in the middle of quite a few books).

Last edited by Vaesse; 01-20-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Corrected autocorrect error.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #1822
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@sorrowdebt: Known (somewhat random) issue on the framework's side, which might explain why the nested feature isn't in fact officially supported/accessible on a vanilla device .

@Vaesse: I'm not sure I quite understood what the issue was, but, hey, if it works .
Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #1823
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

Lemme try to explain better, because it would be awesome not to have it happen again...

Sometimes when adding new books, recreating collections, etc, Calibre will "forget" that the books on my Kindle are in its library. When this happens and I look at device view, the titles of the books reflect the titles as they appear after applying my plugboard (with series info in front of the title). When this happens, they no longer appear in collections (as they are no longer known to be in Calibre's library). The not ideal solution is to remove the books from the device and the add them back again, so Calibre knows which book is which and can put them back in their proper collections.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #1824
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Vaesse: Do they still get flagged 'On Device' properly in the library view?

What does the plugboard look like?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #1825
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Just as a silly question, because I don't have a Kindle and I'm too ignorant to help here really... But it sounds to me like the files have been moved to the Kindle instead of being copied to your Kindle device. As far as I know that is the only way in which Calibre would forget a book within the Calibre Library. (You say "Calibre will "forget" that the books on my Kindle are in its library"; I'm assuming it=Calibre and not Kindle's Library.)

Again, cannot be of assistance, but thought clarifying the issue might help pinpoint that exact nature of the issue.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #1826
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Here's another patch/tweak for Touch/PW users
What do we do with the "patch?" I have version 1.7.11 installed so do I add this patch manually to some file?

Update: Never mind. I guess "we" don't do anything with it.

Last edited by freewheeling; 01-25-2013 at 02:16 AM.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #1827
Vaesse
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Vaesse: Do they still get flagged 'On Device' properly in the library view?

What does the plugboard look like?
I've been away from my computer (too much else going on, only down time is in bed with my iPhone), but I think I've posted it before and it's not too complicated (plus it works fine 99% of the time). It says (in the proper language):

Nic(Series if no Nic) series_index (in 000.00 format) - title

in the title field and the equivalent in the title sort field. Nic is my custom column with an abbreviated series so I can see beyond the series on longer named series in my book list on the Kindle.

When it gets messed up, they are not flagged as on device in library view or as in library in device view (I think... now that I re-read that I'm not completely sure... I KNOW the second half is true). This is what pulls them out of the collections. I understand why they get pulled out when they get messed up. What I don't understand is why they get messed up in the first place.

I don't muck about in the back end of Calibre or the Kindle, but it seems to me that there's probably a file or equivalent somewhere that tells Calibre, "This book on the Kindle with the series info in the 'title' field is the same as this book in your database with just the title in the title field." And from time to time, that file either disappears or gets corrupted or for whatever reason stops working. And then my only recourse is to recreate the information by removing all the books and sending them back to the Kindle again. Of course, it could be something else entirely. And if I wasn't so reliant on this add-on (it takes almost 300 pages of books down to a slightly more reasonable 70 or so), it wouldn't effect me if Calibre forgot which books on the Kindle it has in its library. And re-reading my guess, it is probably more a plugboard/Calibre in general issue than something caused by this add-on. Still I'd be thrilled to never again have to reload all my books in series to solve it again.

EDIT: Saberdeyn - No, since I found Calibre, I never move books to my Kindle except through Calibre. Most of the time, I use the reading list add-on (almost only exception is times like these when things go wrong). But yes, Calibre is 'forgetting' that the books on the Kindle are in Calibre's library already. Still, a good thought that certainly could cause similar issues.

Last edited by Vaesse; 01-25-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #1828
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Vaesse: Next time you catch one, restart calibre in debug mode, and check how the 'on device' / 'in library' match is done... It should be by UUIID, and it should survive the plugboard. AFAICT, this doesn't have much to do with this plugin in particular, since it trusts the data Calibre feeds it, but you never know .
Old 01-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #1829
joeindallas
Enthusiast
joeindallas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Books in root and duplicated in Collection?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but after a couple of hours and reading the first page which encourages us to post problems instead of wandering aimlessly...

I have a new-to-me Kindle Keyboard 3g and thought I'd give collections a try. When I create a collection based on author (I tried all authors, but when I had trouble I went to one author with 12 books) and restart - the collection is there and the books are in it, but they are also in the "root" of the Kindle which kind of defeats the purpose. If I delete the one in the root, the copy (actuall not a copy, but more like a pointer or shortcut?) in the collection is deleted too. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #1830
edwdecarlo
Enthusiast
edwdecarlo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX,Nexus 10,Fire HD
Kindle Keyboard 3G Sorting/Oranizations of Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeindallas View Post
I have a new-to-me Kindle Keyboard 3g and thought I'd give collections a try. When I create a collection based on author (I tried all authors, but when I had trouble I went to one author with 12 books) and restart - the collection is there and the books are in it, but they are also in the "root" of the Kindle which kind of defeats the purpose. If I delete the one in the root, the copy (actuall not a copy, but more like a pointer or shortcut?) in the collection is deleted too. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
I have a Kindle Keyboard 3G as well, and I use Kindle Collections all the time to organize my books on it. I believe the 'issue' you are encountering is how Kindle handles collections, which is very badly. I have spent a lot of time with Kindle Collections plug-in to help overcome the Kindle's poor organization abilities.

You can control how your Kindle presents your books by changing how you view the listing. Up arrow until you hi-lite the top line above your first book. Then right arrow over and select Collections. This will organize your books by collection, so you can select a collection to see the books within it. Note: Any book not within a collection will appear in the list as well.

If you organize/view your books with any of the other options, it will intermix the individual books and collections together.

Note: once you open a book in a collection, it will sort to the top, because within the Collection books will always sort by Most Recently Opened. You cannot change this. This order is also how the Collections will be sorted on your main list as well.

Hope this helps.

Also, another great plug-in to use with Kindle Collections is kiwidude's Reading List plug-in. It is a great way queue up books to sync to your Kindle, and kiwidude was gracious enough to add a hook to call Kindle Collections if you have both installed, so you can sync your books and build the Collections at the same time.
Closed Thread