Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Your use of the domain is commercial - it's directing traffic to your site. I strongly suspect that B&N would have a strong case for trademark infringement if you were to keep the domain. Since you've offered it to them, however, the situation probably won't arise.
Nope. You're misusing the term. I'm not buying or selling any good or service, so my holding onto the domain could not in any way be described as a use in commerce.

Also, my use is not anywhere close to what is covered by the trademark:
Quote:
Downloadable electronic and digital publications in the nature of fiction and non-fiction books, comic books, illustrated books, graphic novels, picture books, children's books, magazines, newspapers, journals, periodicals, manuals and guidebooks on a variety of topics.
Yeah, the closest I come to that is in talking about it; I am not a dealer in the content myself.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Your use of the domain is commercial - it's directing traffic to your site. I strongly suspect that B&N would have a strong case for trademark infringement if you were to keep the domain. Since you've offered it to them, however, the situation probably won't arise.
I suspect they just don't care anymore.
Once they sell off Nook Media (a deal might even be in place) and it gets renamed it'll be somebody else's problem.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #18
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
The real failure of B&N is that this is the first I've heard of Nook Snaps. And I'm even a customer.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #19
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Whoa there.

1) This isn't domain squatting. That's when someone buys up as many relevant domains as they can think of, doesn't use them, and charges an inflated price for them.
It is. The name has nothing to do with the blog it is now linked to, and the only reason the domain was snatched is because BN announced nooksnaps. If it walks like a duck...
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Sure hope no one grabs Monkey Snaps
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #21
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Sure hope no one grabs Monkey Snaps
I thought you'd be more worried about someone grabbing your banana schnapps!

5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
I thought you'd be more worried about someone grabbing your banana schnapps!

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #23
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Please stop
Nate is just showing the complete idiocy of those that should know better

Quote:
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #24
badgerboy
Wannabe
badgerboy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+, Galaxy S3, PC
If it was a photographic gallery ('snaps') of dark and gloomy corners or secluded places ('nooks'), and also had a link to the blog, what then?
badgerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:11 AM   #25
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
If I were B&N, and someone registered a relevant domain name, then contacted me to ask if I wanted to buy it, I would certainly view them as a domain name squatter.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #26
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I, personally, don't see anything wrong with what Nate did. If I remember correctly, B&N had the name for a year before announcing it, so they really SHOULD have registered the domain name, too. He has offered it to them. This isn't like cases where people think up all sorts of possible future name combinations a company might use and register them ( ex. bananacokedotcom), hoping to cash in someday.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #27
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I, personally, don't see anything wrong with what Nate did.
Nobody's saying it's "wrong", as in unlawful, just that it is domain squattering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
He has offered it to them. This isn't like cases where people think up all sorts of possible future name combinations a company might use and register them ( ex. bananacokedotcom), hoping to cash in someday.
He has not indicated what he's asking in return, so we can't make the claim that he's not hoping to cash in.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #28
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
He has not indicated what he's asking in return, so we can't make the claim that he's not hoping to cash in.
Y'all also have no evidence to attack me with the claim that I am hoping to cash in, but I suppose that detail does not matter to you.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #29
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Y'all also have no evidence to attack me with the claim that I am hoping to cash in, but I suppose that detail does not matter to you.
I did not say that you're hoping to cash in. As you have not come forward with your plans, all I said is that we can't rule it out. But the fact that you're keeping mum about your plans is telling.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #30
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I did not say that you're hoping to cash in. As you have not come forward with your plans, all I said is that we can't rule it out. But the fact that you're keeping mum about your plans is telling.
It is only telling because you started with the worst assumption rather than with the fact that you have no data. And then you proceeded from the assumption to use the further lack of data to justify your assumption.

Maybe I don't feel the need to share info with someone who has already attacked me. Have you considered that possibility?