Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #1861
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
A tip for the Calibre Kindle Collections + Collections Manager users: when the device is connected, click on Customize, and check the box beside "only generate data for created/updated collections." Doing so becomes a huge time saver once you eject and start CM and then Import from Calibre.

Last edited by booklover6; 05-27-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #1862
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
You can check your kindle firmware version. I think the newest one broke the collections manager. Have you had the wifi on since the last time CM worked?

Personally I have the "back door lock" hack so that I don't have to deal with annoying updates that mess up my hacks.

Also, you say in another post that you don't use Calibre Kindle Collections? This particular thread is about using the Kindle Collections Plugin in Calibre. If you want info on using Collections Manager, go to the Kindle Developer's corner threads.

The slowness of using CM is due to the processor and eink functionality on the paperwhite, not to limitations of CM. Using Collection Manager with the Calibre Kindle Collections plugin has speeded everything up for me a LOT.

Yes to delete CM just remove the document. Your collections will still be there.
Interesting. Yes, I usually leave the WiFi on so that I can consult Wiki and other online sources. I do use Calibre, I just don't use it with collections. I've tried to sync the collections including importing the collections I have (had) on Kindle into Calibre, and the other way around basing them on the three deep Genre column I created in Calibre, but it doesn't work. I get a whole bunch of additional "collections" that are just book titles and no recognition of the collections already on the Kindle. I sort of gave up trying to get Calibre and Kindle to see eye to eye.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #1863
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
Interesting. Yes, I usually leave the WiFi on so that I can consult Wiki and other online sources. I do use Calibre, I just don't use it with collections. I've tried to sync the collections including importing the collections I have (had) on Kindle into Calibre, and the other way around basing them on the three deep Genre column I created in Calibre, but it doesn't work. I get a whole bunch of additional "collections" that are just book titles and no recognition of the collections already on the Kindle. I sort of gave up trying to get Calibre and Kindle to see eye to eye.
Then yes, your Kindle could have updated. You can check it in the settings menu, and look in the "collections manager" thread in the Kindle forum to see if that is why CM isn't working for you now.

If Collection Manager still works -

The three deep genre column in Calibre is not going to work the way you were hoping, for making collections on the Kindle, I don't think.

In Calibre look at the Kindle Collections, Customize Kindle Collections, and see what you have for "actions." You can select the Genre column to create collections from. Then click ok, and click Kindle Collections, Create. When it's done, eject. Wait for the Kindle to finish processing, then start Collection Manager on the Kindle. then go to settings and select "Import collections from Calibre."

Another thing, I am not sure if you can use CM to import kindle-only collections to calibre. The feature in CM that says "Export to Calibre" has more to do with exporting changes you have made on the device, so that the Kindle Collections plugin doesn't change something you don't want changed.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #1864
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitenski View Post
good afternoon,

I've just come across this thread as I have a kindle keyboard and want to copy the collections on there over to my new paperwhite.

So I've installed calibre and the plugin, copied the books over from old kindle, and created the collections.

Calibre has the four kindle collections in it, but I cannot get them over to the PW.

I have downloaded these tweaks kcoll_pw_tweaks-v31.patch.gz but I have no idea how to install the tweaks?

My assumption is I need the tweaks in order to get the collections created successfully on the PW?

Thanks for any help,

Greg
Is your paperwhite jailbroken?
Old 05-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #1865
Chapysvp
Chapysvp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire Hd
Quote:
Which Kindle?
Its a Kindle Fire HD
Old 05-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #1866
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapysvp View Post
Its a Kindle Fire HD
In that case, this plugin will not work. It is for specific e-ink Kindles, not for the Fire.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #1867
Yasen6275
Yasen6275 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Doesn't work on Kindle 3 with 3.4 firmware. Tried to upgrade from 0.6 jailbreak and 0.3 usb net. Something went wrong. Device freezed on usb insert. Done Restore to Factory defaults. Instaled new version along some other things (lounchpad, freedownload, mplayer, K3Chess, KPV). Plugin seems to work correctly but when I disconnect Kindle there is nothing changed.

Calibre 9.33 plugin 1.7.11
Old 06-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #1868
chixricebowl
chixricebowl began at the beginning.

Device: kindle for ipad, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasen6275 View Post
Doesn't work on Kindle 3 with 3.4 firmware. Plugin seems to work correctly but when I disconnect Kindle there is nothing changed.

Calibre 9.33 plugin 1.7.11
Yeah, same with me.
Same versions of Calibre and 3.4 firmware on my Kindle keyboard model.
Seems to work but after the menu driven reset - no changes to collections on Kindle.

edit - I should have added I am only trying to manually edit the collections on my Kindle.

Last edited by chixricebowl; 06-01-2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #1869
Yasen6275
Yasen6275 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by chixricebowl View Post
edit - I should have added I am only trying to manually edit the collections on my Kindle.
Same here. I have alot of .txt i lont to organize on PC not on kindle.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #1870
Oliviakrk
Oliviakrk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX International
It doesn't work on Kindle DXG. :-(
Old 07-15-2013, 05:14 AM   #1871
mike_i
mike_i began at the beginning.

Device: Axim51v, Reb1100, Franklin EbookMan, etc....
Probably this is already covered question, but tread is too large and I could not find any answer..
Calibre 0.9.39, Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.6

Created custom column, tried it "import collection from Kindle" - always got "no collection" result. What I am missing/going wrong?
Thanks!
Old 07-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #1872
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_i View Post
Probably this is already covered question, but tread is too large and I could not find any answer..
Calibre 0.9.39, Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.6

Created custom column, tried it "import collection from Kindle" - always got "no collection" result. What I am missing/going wrong?
Thanks!
Do you have the Kindle Collections Plugin installed in Calibre? It's the first post of this thread.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #1873
mike_i
mike_i began at the beginning.

Device: Axim51v, Reb1100, Franklin EbookMan, etc....
Quote:
Do you have the Kindle Collections Plugin installed in Calibre? It's the first post of this thread.
You've got me here . Yes, I do have the latest plugin installed - and not working, this is why I am in this thread.
But I thought "import collection from Kindle" from plugin menu is enough to settle this in the first place....
Old 07-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #1874
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Ok, just checking...and may I also assume your paperwhite is jailbroken, and that the Collection Manager is installed and working?

I am not at my computer, but I can tell you from memory what I do.

If I have made any changes on the device that I want to make sure are saved, first I start CM on the device, and select Import Collections TO Calibre.

When that is done, I attach the device to the PC with Calibre running. If I am adding anything or have updated anything in my custom column, I then select Create Collections from the calibre kindle collection menu. When that is done, I eject, wait for the Kindle to catch up, start up Collection Manager on the device, then select Import Collections FROM Calibre. When that is done, I exit out of CM, and my collections are correct.

Are you following all of those steps?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #1875
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@mike_i/@booklover6: Yup, you'll need a jailbroken PW with ixtab's CM installed.

After that, booklover6 pretty much perfectly summarized the workflow (whether you use a custom column or not is irrelevant to the PW-specific situation, I personally don't, and build collections from specific tag prefixes). Note, that, if, like me, you only work on collections in Calibre, it gets a bit easier/faster, as there are settings dedicated to this specific workflow in the PW friendly tweaked version of this plugin.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-15-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Closed Thread