Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #1846
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Cover View Post
Does jailbreaking a paperwhite make sense if the collections thing is your only problem?

I was disappointed on getting a paperwhite to find out that this plugin doesn't work with that model. I've found Collections to be very, very helpful in managing my previous kindle.

It's been mentioned in this thread that you can manage collections via Calibre if you "jailbreak" the paperwhite, and there's a thread on the Kindle Developer's Forum discussing that.

I'm not entirely incompetent or tech-phobic, but I don't think I was really able to follow the discussion in the Developer's Forum, and I don't understand the implications of a jailbreak (or even what the term means).

Is it worthwhile to jailbreak my paperwhite just to get the Collections functionality back; and what notes of caution should I be aware of in deciding whether to do it?
I am working on figuring out this whole thing right now. Well, I've been jailbroken and using Collection Manager for quite some time. I am now figuring out how to use the Kindle Collections Calibre plugin in conjunction.

You have to update your Kindle Collections, go here and read

It is working well, but if you use multiple Calibre libraries on the same device, there are some quirks.

Last edited by booklover6; 04-21-2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #1847
Deep Cover
Deep Cover began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks—very helpful!

What I can't figure out is how to install NiLuJe's Kindle Collections. I'm using Calibre on my Mac and did go to Calibre preferences to install the command line interface, but I'm afraid that's as far as my competence could take me. Any hints?
Old 04-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #1848
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well I am on windows, but pretty sure what I did was to go into Calibre preferences, plugins, load plugin from file, then load in the NiLuJe zip file. I can't find a readme in the zip and it's been awhile since I did it.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #1849
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

But to answer your question at the top of the page. Yes if you want to use Calibre to manage collections this way, then you do have to jailbreak, which can be complicated depending on what firmware your paperwhite is on, and add the prerequisites, and the Kindle Collection Manager, in addition to NiLuJe's Kindle Collections Calibre Plugin.

Once that is all set up, you set a column (such as tags) that you want to make collections from. You load some books onto the paperwhite from Calibre. You select Create Collections on the Kindle from Calibre.

Then you eject, unplug, and go to Collections Manager, start it up. Then go to settings and select "Import collections from Calibre." It can take a few minutes.

You have to do that each time you add books via Calibre (if you want them to go into a collection), if you don't, your changes will not appear.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #1850
Deep Cover
Deep Cover began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
But to answer your question at the top of the page. Yes if you want to use Calibre to manage collections this way, then you do have to jailbreak, which can be complicated depending on what firmware your paperwhite is on, and add the prerequisites, and the Kindle Collection Manager, in addition to NiLuJe's Kindle Collections Calibre Plugin.

Once that is all set up, you set a column (such as tags) that you want to make collections from. You load some books onto the paperwhite from Calibre. You select Create Collections on the Kindle from Calibre.

Then you eject, unplug, and go to Collections Manager, start it up. Then go to settings and select "Import collections from Calibre." It can take a few minutes.

You have to do that each time you add books via Calibre (if you want them to go into a collection), if you don't, your changes will not appear.
Brilliant! It worked (it works the same way on the Mac as in Windows, just as you described. It just took me a while to work out that I didn't need to use the command line interface to install NiLuJe's plugin).
Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #1851
Greymage
Greymage began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wireless Reading Device
I just updated to latest calibre and kindle collections and am getting this error:

calibre, version 0.9.28
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:CalibreInfo instance has no attribute 'kindle_model'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.ui", line 152, in customize
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 150, in do_user_config
File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.__init__", line 73, in config_widget
File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.customize" , line 46, in __init__
AttributeError: CalibreInfo instance has no attribute 'kindle_model'

It's an older kindle, not touch or paperwhite, and worked fine with this plugins last year. What should I look for?

calibre version 0.9.28
Kindle Collections 1.7.11 (30 Sep 2012)
Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #1852
edwdecarlo
Enthusiast
edwdecarlo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX,Nexus 10,Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greymage View Post
I just updated to latest calibre and kindle collections and am getting this error:

calibre, version 0.9.28
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:CalibreInfo instance has no attribute 'kindle_model'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.ui", line 152, in customize
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 150, in do_user_config
File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.__init__", line 73, in config_widget
File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.customize" , line 46, in __init__
AttributeError: CalibreInfo instance has no attribute 'kindle_model'

It's an older kindle, not touch or paperwhite, and worked fine with this plugins last year. What should I look for?

calibre version 0.9.28
Kindle Collections 1.7.11 (30 Sep 2012)
I have the same versions of calibre and Kindle Collections. I just ran Kindle Collections against my Kindle Keyboard (pre touch and whitepaper) without any errors.

Perhaps you need to uninstall Kindle Collections plug-in and re-install it.

Another thing to consider, which version of calibre you were on prior to upgrading to 0.9.28. If it was a big enough jump, or you went from the 32-bit version to 64-bit version, you may need to uninstall calibre and re-install 0.9.28 again.

Another thing to look at is if you are using a Metadata Plugboard. I am and the Device is set to KINDLE2. Perhaps you have this set yours to something different; a change to calibre may have made the Device type more sensitive/critical.

I hope at least one of these are helpful, or point you into the correct direction.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #1853
Greymage
Greymage began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wireless Reading Device
Reinstalling calibre fixed the issue

Thank you for the suggestions - I had not used calibre in over a year and updated it from a 0.8.x version when I went to install new books on my Kindle. Your suggestion below fixed the issue - when I uninstalled calibre and then reinstalled it Kindle Collections worked perfectly. I did not have to uninstall/reinstall the plugins.

Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwdecarlo View Post
Another thing to consider, which version of calibre you were on prior to upgrading to 0.9.28. If it was a big enough jump, or you went from the 32-bit version to 64-bit version, you may need to uninstall calibre and re-install 0.9.28 again.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #1854
kitenski
kitenski began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
good afternoon,

I've just come across this thread as I have a kindle keyboard and want to copy the collections on there over to my new paperwhite.

So I've installed calibre and the plugin, copied the books over from old kindle, and created the collections.

Calibre has the four kindle collections in it, but I cannot get them over to the PW.

I have downloaded these tweaks kcoll_pw_tweaks-v31.patch.gz but I have no idea how to install the tweaks?

My assumption is I need the tweaks in order to get the collections created successfully on the PW?

Thanks for any help,

Greg

Last edited by kitenski; 05-18-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #1855
Chapysvp
Chapysvp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire Hd
Cant make Kindle Collections work

Hello there

I´ve been trying to work with collections in my kindle using the plugin, but it keep saying that I don´t have books in my kindle, I dont know what Im doing wrong, Im getting frustrated

Any help?

Thank You
Old 05-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #1856
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapysvp View Post
Hello there

I´ve been trying to work with collections in my kindle using the plugin, but it keep saying that I don´t have books in my kindle, I dont know what Im doing wrong, Im getting frustrated

Any help?

Thank You
Which Kindle?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #1857
freewheeling
Nameless Being

I'm getting a bit fed up with this. Why aren't "updates" all in one place, for both the Jailbreak and this Collections plug in. The collections plug in on my Kindle PW now tells me that I have to install the Kindlets or something, but I'm not sure why. I don't think the firmware has updated, and there's no particular reason why the Collections manager would have stopped working, but every time I come back here to figure it out there's just a lot of confusing stuff. I can't tell whether I have the latest version of either JB or this Plugin. Also, the thing is really clunky. Takes forever to refresh the screen or progress through a book list to assign them to collections. I think I'll probably just remove it so I don't have to keep up with this arcane thread.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #1858
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Okay, here's an updated patch, with a few tweaks to make life easier for those of us using this with ixtab's Collections Manager on a Kindle Touch .

* Autodetect the Kindle model, so, hopefully, I didn't break anything for other models (I quickly checked with my K3, that seems to hold up ^^).

* Disable the 'Modify Kindle Settings' stuff on Touch

* Handle azw3 & pobi files

* Disable the fast reboot via hack setting on Touch

* Add a new setting (only enabled on Touch) to completely discard the existing collections.json file when creating collections, since it may not be in sync (if the user didn't do an export in Collections Manager), and Collections Manager will never delete a collection. That helps avoid losing items in Kindle only collections with keep_kindle_only, and saves Collections Manager some time, since that effectively leaves only Calibre managed collections to import.

* Use the correct sort order on the Touch (might not be 100% accurate, it's boring and annoying as hell to check, and there might be some unicode issues since the Touch handle some unicode chars...).

* Don't ask Touch users to reboot their Kindle in the confirmation popup, instead ask them to do an import in Collections Manager.

That should be everything . I've attached a working plugin zipfile in addition to the patch to help test/debug this.

@meme: Sorry about all the whitespace crap in the patches, all my editors use strict trailing whitespace extermination settings, and playing with the bB diff switches is a bad idea with Python code .

EDIT: Kill deprecated attachments, merged in 1.7.11 .

EDIT²: See #1760 for an updated patchset .
Why isn't this patch at the beginning of the thread instead of somewhere in the middle, and is there a post somewhere that obsolesces this patch? Where is the latest version and why isn't it always in the same place? Very confusing.

BTW, I'm not even trying to use this with Calibre. Have never been able to get that to work. I was just using it with the document thingy on a Paperwhite, and now it doesn't work. How do I remove this? Do I just delete the document? It's not worth the trouble of keeping all these assorted files updated.

Last edited by freewheeling; 05-26-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #1859
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Also, I can't seem to get the books to disappear from the "top" page by placing them in a collection created on the Kindle. Somehow the Collections Manager has modified this behavior and I don't know how to change it back to the default. The bottom line is that this tool isn't very well thought out, or is too restricted by the firmware and workarounds so that it doesn't behave the way you'd expect an actual collections manager to behave (with sub-collections, etc.). But the main problem is that any change or update of the firmware requires a laborious re-installation of stuff that one just can't keep track of without a PhD in software programming.

Finally, to be fair, the fact that a 5th generation reading device doesn't yet have a way to categorize books that allows subcategories and sub-subcategories so that you have to install a hack to get that capability is just a real failure in R&D on the part of Amazon and other electronic reader developers. Sheesh.

Update: Looks like all I had to do to take the books out of the "top" category was set the righthand column to "Collections."

Last edited by freewheeling; 05-27-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #1860
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
I'm getting a bit fed up with this. Why aren't "updates" all in one place, for both the Jailbreak and this Collections plug in. The collections plug in on my Kindle PW now tells me that I have to install the Kindlets or something, but I'm not sure why. I don't think the firmware has updated, and there's no particular reason why the Collections manager would have stopped working, but every time I come back here to figure it out there's just a lot of confusing stuff. I can't tell whether I have the latest version of either JB or this Plugin. Also, the thing is really clunky. Takes forever to refresh the screen or progress through a book list to assign them to collections. I think I'll probably just remove it so I don't have to keep up with this arcane thread.
You can check your kindle firmware version. I think the newest one broke the collections manager. Have you had the wifi on since the last time CM worked?

Personally I have the "back door lock" hack so that I don't have to deal with annoying updates that mess up my hacks.

Also, you say in another post that you don't use Calibre Kindle Collections? This particular thread is about using the Kindle Collections Plugin in Calibre. If you want info on using Collections Manager, go to the Kindle Developer's corner threads.

The slowness of using CM is due to the processor and eink functionality on the paperwhite, not to limitations of CM. Using Collection Manager with the Calibre Kindle Collections plugin has speeded everything up for me a LOT.

Yes to delete CM just remove the document. Your collections will still be there.

Last edited by booklover6; 05-27-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Closed Thread