Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
marymac
marymac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Is there a decent MP3 player hack?

I have both the Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3) and the new Kindle Touch. I would really like to be able to have a playlist, or at least select several mp3s to play, or even just Random Play. I read about the mplayer hack, but it seems to do a LOT more than that. I read that the Touch is Linux Based and there are apparently several good Linux MP3 player freeware applications... but I don't know how simple it is to "add an app", once I jailbreak one of these two Kindles. Has anyone had experience with "Audacious" or similar apps?

I was also wishing I could get a cloud player to work so i could use my Amazon cloud MP3's. Isn't it strange that Amazon won't support its cloud player on any of its devices (other than the Fire?) You would think it would work on the Touch at least.
marymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
sean.fosterbrown
Enthusiast
sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymac View Post
I have both the Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3) and the new Kindle Touch. I would really like to be able to have a playlist, or at least select several mp3s to play, or even just Random Play. I read about the mplayer hack, but it seems to do a LOT more than that. I read that the Touch is Linux Based and there are apparently several good Linux MP3 player freeware applications... but I don't know how simple it is to "add an app", once I jailbreak one of these two Kindles. Has anyone had experience with "Audacious" or similar apps?

I was also wishing I could get a cloud player to work so i could use my Amazon cloud MP3's. Isn't it strange that Amazon won't support its cloud player on any of its devices (other than the Fire?) You would think it would work on the Touch at least.
I have a Kindle 3 only, so I wouldn't know about Kindle touch.
If you're comfortable using launchpad, there are 2 great ones, MPD and Mplayer.
MPD: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169139
Mplayer: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119851

There are GUIs for them, but I don't really use them.
K3Music Manager: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168695 (Better IMO)
Kinamp: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=147854

As for cloud player...I don't see it happening any time soon, but both of the music players support streaming so you /can/ use things like I<3Radio and Internet radio streams. It's flash-based, and Amazon doesn't really want us streaming music over their 3G.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't read your post thoroughly enough. Mplayer and MPD are it as far as I know. You can edit the Launchpad scripts to your liking or use the terminal for them to get greater customisation

Last edited by sean.fosterbrown; 04-01-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Didn't read first post properly
sean.fosterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloud stream, mp3