Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #31
Krystl
Connoisseur
Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-t1
thanks escape. you were very descriptive and helpful. makes sense and kinda what i was thinking--but here is where i check to make sure. now to find that--most covers aren't that or are too big...

ummmm.... ok, vish, the kindle advert hast someone doing just that... with the trouser's pocket, i mean. i would never do that. i am a girl, though, and do use a purse--trying to be minimal.

umm the perfectionist thing is a curse in disguise--why do you think i'm afraid of bricking something or trying something out? makes me a horrible artist, programmer or "aufmotzer". need to know all the answers at the beginning.

look at how long this thread is still going with my continuing questions--it's like bringing a new baby home--gotta have everything ready.

you guys are the greatest! so patient with me.
Krystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #32
EscapeVelocity
Connoisseur
EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.EscapeVelocity is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook Color - Gingerbread
Well, there are many good choices.

You want a hard plastic(or other material) layer to distribute pressure over a larger area (preferably to the bezels around the display)....to prevent pressure (especially at a point) on the display. This can easily happen in a bag or backpack with other objects in it.

I generally prefer the kind where you take them out of the case to use, but that is most often because good flip open cases that dont obscure ports, inputs, card slots, speakers, function buttons are often hard to find.

You can also get silicon "wraps" to use in conjuction with these slip in/out cases. Which protect the unit bezels and backsides from scratches and provide a bit of rubberized protection for drops. If you can find one that is fitted for your particular device, these are very nice.

My 2 cents.
EscapeVelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #33
Krystl
Connoisseur
Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i will be looking into that closely in the next weeks. so much to fix all my electronics.

cannot wait to see my baby (within the 30 day return time period if something isn't "quite right").

escape, I will be considering cases, because I think i would prefer it without a cover, as well. (perhaps a cover as well for when I am planning on reading somewhere "dangerous" such as planes or something... hmm)
Old 01-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #34
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
e-ink devices are indeed very fragile. Reading without a cover is waiting for an accident to happen. Even when the screen itself is not physically broken, the display can be. I know about it because it happened to me twice, the first time we had to replace the device and since I dropped it (I was reading on my couch, my baby daughter called, I turned around and the reader literally slipped to the floor), I had to repay it fully. From that day on, I never never never left a reader without a case.
And yet...the second time, it was never dropped, always carried it carefully in its hard sleeve in my handbag, and yet, one day, the display showed only horizontal black lines. Thank god that time I was obviously not the cause, and the device was still under guarantee so it was replaced. But it must have had a slight shock of some sort, I just don't know how nor when.

I'd advise a book-cover type, so you can read with the reader in the cover. Just my 2ct, but you know the saying, better safe than sorry....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #35
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Krystl,
appearantly there is a way to approach the notes-export from a completely different angle by using an altogether different reading app on a rooted T1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaki View Post
For me, the selling features are :
- I can easily export quotes to text even without Sony's ugly piece of software
- multiple dictionary
- physical buttons support
- page flipping gestures so that I can handle it either left or right handed
- it works
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #36
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, although I come late, I hope my experience is useful for you (I apologize for my English, I'll try my best). I have a PRS-350 and a Kobo touch, and I've briefly tested (it will be a present at the end) a Sony T1:
  1. If you want butttons for turning page, Kobo Touch goes out: only a button for going home
  2. If you want to export notes without Sony SW you can go with coolreader in a rooted T1 or the next release of PRS (I alreade have it at my 350 because I build it), that export notes as txt or jpg/bmp according to the type
  3. Perhaps notes are a bit faster at T1, because if you keep you finger over a word a lot of options appear, note among them. However, I don't know if coolreader works in that way, I didn't root it.

My option is 350 because:
  1. I don't want to root it: sorry, I develop software, not interested in messing with OS
  2. It's smaller, so it's great for carrying around in my purse at every places
  3. PRS offers me some features that rooted T1 doesn't, the most valuables for me -related to library management and something like that

But, between Kobo and T1, with your options: T1.

And about covers: I recommend a book-like cover too. I'm not a very careful person, and with a cover like that all my devices (6 at this moment) have survived to my use
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #37
Krystl
Connoisseur

Vish, thanks for the info. that is really good to hear, kinda scared of rooting the device, but i have some time... perhaps by then you all will have "worked the bugs out" and you can help me not break the e-reader (did i mention i managed to lock down the journalism dept's computer system by mistake forcing the admin rights on accident? i am NOT a safe person around electronics ) oh, and yes, you could help me in German

Ace and Therisa, thank you so much for your valuable input as to the bookcover case issue. i really am scared about the screens, as i have heard very very bad tales--enough so, that i am NOT having my T1 shipped to me from the USA (you should have seen the mangled mess the box with my other presents was when it made it to me--nothing damaged inside, but not so sure about the screen in that situation). that gives me time to find the right case.

Therisa, i too, was considering the 350 and had i found it at a great price (t1 for $89 no sales tax new is pretty darn unbeatable--with the return timeframe, i am good as gold by the time i am in the USA to pick it up).

i cannot believe the help you all are giving me. i am soo excited--didn't think it would be THAT big a deal. my mom said she has become as excited about this present as anything she has ever given me because she knows it is the perfect (late Christmas) present.

Tags
epub, kobo, sony