Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
bwlonge
bwlonge began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Download content from Amazon, but don't want ads on KSO

Question:

I'm trying not to sign in to amazon on my K3SO to fuel my delusion that there is still some sacred space somewhere. Can I download books from Amazon (entails signing in), backup the file onto my computer, then reset to default, then load it back on without signing in?

Or does having the book on your kindle depend on you being signed in every time you want to use it?
bwlonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
As far as I know, you don't have to ever be signed in to your Kindle to just read. Technically, you don't even need to be signed into it to put books on it. Just get your books from alternate sources, or transfer them via the USB cable.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
If you don't want to see the ads OP, why did you buy the KSO?
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
If you don't want to see the ads OP, why did you buy the KSO?
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
bwlonge

didn't realize "Special Offers" really means "With advertisements". Not enough research? probably. Sneaky way of wording what the product actually is? probably.

I know you don't have to be signed in to read, I'm doing that just fine. But I forsee needing to buy books from amazon as kindle edition. If i do that, does it put a physical file on your kindle? if so, could I back that file up, reset to defaults (as to erase the ads), then put my backed up documents on the fresh kindle?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Maybe you should contact Kindle customer support and tell them you'd like to exchange the KSO for a regular Kindle, paying the $25 difference.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwlonge View Post
didn't realize "Special Offers" really means "With advertisements". Not enough research? probably.
Agreed. Not sure what you thought "Special Offers" meant, but yeah, you should have done more research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Maybe you should contact Kindle customer support and tell them you'd like to exchange the KSO for a regular Kindle, paying the $25 difference.
This seems the best course of action to me as well.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sounds like a lot of work to me, but just give it a whirl and see what happens. You have absolutely nothing to lose (back up any non-amazon books first). All you'll need to do is re-register the Kindle to your Amazon account again to have access to all of your purchases—in the event that the experiment doesn't work. But I ultimately agree with the "return it and get the one you wanted" crowd.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
bwlonge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Agreed. Not sure what you thought "Special Offers" meant, but yeah, you should have done more research.

This seems the best course of action to me as well.

your input is invaluable.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

If you turn off the WiFi then you disable one of the greatest features of the Kindle--Whispernet. But if you don't mind losing the ability to sync farthest page read, bookmarks, notes, etc. with other devices, you can turn it off.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-28-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well - to answer your question, yes you can download to your computer and then transfer the book via usb cable. I generally do that via Calibre anyway because I like to use the Plugboard to manage the title/series display in Collections.

My whispernet isn't on often, but I have found that when I leave it off for a very long time sometimes my clock loses the correct date/time.

I'm not sure why the ads bother you so much though, it isn't like you get bothered with them while you're reading.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #12
ucfgrad93
Wizard

Quote:
your input is invaluable.
Glad I could help.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #13
Jack's Liver
Funk Master General
Jack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3 / CRUZ T103 BRICKED / Sony PRS-300 Gifted to a :) kid / N7
I think you might have started something here
Jack's Liver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
didn't realize "Special Offers" really means "With advertisements". Not enough research? probably. Sneaky way of wording what the product actually is? probably.

I know you don't have to be signed in to read, I'm doing that just fine. But I forsee needing to buy books from amazon as kindle edition. If i do that, does it put a physical file on your kindle? if so, could I back that file up, reset to defaults (as to erase the ads), then put my backed up documents on the fresh kindle?
Amazon was never anything but forthcoming about the KSO, there wasn't even any fine print to be confused about.

this is just as confusing as the folks that complain about the regular screensavers; how much time do you spend staring at the kindle without actually reading it?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
this is just as confusing as the folks that complain about the regular screensavers; how much time do you spend staring at the kindle without actually reading it?
About 6 hours a day. It sits on my desk at work sleeping. So, it's always in my peripheral vision. Sadly, I can't just read all day. Maybe I can pitch it to the powers-that-be to make that my position. Just to read.

Wishful thinking...
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote