Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #16
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
My upgrades went just fine. The onscreen instructions were very clear and easy to follow.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #17
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
What J. Strnad said.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #18
Vardd
Vardd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Samething here. Good job
Vardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #19
Zac
Zac began at the beginning.

Ditto!

Worked well.

Results good except a free epub book from Harper Collins that I was reading on the Kobo (for all platforms) is now showing a DRM issue and won't let me read it.

I tried syncing it with Adobe Digital Editions.
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #20
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
If you have done the update can you tell me...

1) Does the Firmware upgrade effect the way Calibre works with Kobo?

2) Does the firmware upgrade have a problem if the 100 free books have been previously removed from the Kobo? ( And, if so should I restore my original Kobo files and folders before I run the update?)
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #21
jonnybraga
jonnybraga began at the beginning.

My upgrade went well...

but i gotta say that i didn't like it a bit!

They've created a feature that is useless... the possibility to lock the buttons for 15 min.
Who the hell needs to lock the button for 15 min? I could see it if it was for 1...2 hours... even a day or two... but if i'm gonna stop my reading for 15 min or less, chances are I'm gonna leave my Kobo on a desk... safe and sound... I'm not gonna put it in a bag, where the buttons can be pressed.....

Another thing is that when it's off, i don't see my book's cover... that was something really cool about Kobo... and what's astonishing to me is that THEY KNEW we loved it.... and now it's gone...

At least I hope they fixed the battery problems and that we will get closer to the 8.000 page turns... and I like the fact that they fixed the font rescaling problem... although it didn't bother me... I got pretty good fixing it myself...

Bottom line is... i'm still waiting for a GOOD firmware... VERY disappointed...
jonnybraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #22
robandcurtis
robandcurtis began at the beginning.

You can please some of the people some of the time...

...but I guess you can never please a technology junkie.

I did the upgrade. No issues at all. So the book cover does not display! It's not like I have my KOBO hanging on the wall like a photo

I am glad it shuts off, as I found my battery life was much improved when I did that. As far as those who lament about the it taking "forever" to boot up - I just timed it and it takes EXACTLY 34 seconds from a cold start - hardly an eternity.

Perhaps if people devoted less energy to whining and directed it into something more productive the world would be a better place. I mean, I know there have been some issues, but there are two Kobo's in my house, and I think they are about the greatest thing to come along since sliced bread.

And you can always go back to dead trees.
robandcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #23
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I like the suggestions for an improved sleep mode, but the font thing was HUGE for me. Getting that fixed is a major achievement IMO. People can't be expected to fix the font issue themselves.

The book cover thing was cool but, honestly, when I'm not using my Kobo, I'm not looking at it.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #24
jonnybraga
jonnybraga began at the beginning.

it's not the 30-40 seconds to have it on that bothers me... i don't think it's a lot of time..

it's the draining of the battery... we know that the off/on process drains a good amount of power... so I wanted them to come up with a sleeping mode that consumes less battery than if it was on and more than when it's off... but worth using for short periods, like 2... 3 hours....

what I'm saying is that they came up with something that i won't use... the 15 min sleeping mode...
If I'm stopping my reading session for a short period, i might as well just leave it on (and hope the buttons don't get pressed in my bag)... if I'm not gonna read for 1 day, I'll turn it off altogether...

So, it's the same as before... nothing's changed in that case...

EDIT: I just found out that if u leave the device on, with the book you're reading, it goes to sleeping mode, no matter what u do.... aaaaaaarrrrrrrrghhhh... i there any way to get back to firmware 1.0????

Last edited by jonnybraga; 07-02-2010 at 02:45 PM.
jonnybraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #25
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Thumbs up Successful Upgrade to 1.4

I bought one of the first units on May 1st, the first day of sale at Chapters at Manulife Centre.

I just upgraded successfully. The process was very clear ... and it worked, which is even better.

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit edition; the browser is Chrome 5.0.375.86. Kobo settings now reports 1.4 software (Jun 22 2010).

Small matter, but the timezone got changed to GMT and hence my Eastern Time was incorrect and needed to be reset.

I re-authorised Adobe Digital Editions successfully and books known to have not worked in ePub previously now display fonts correctly. This includes:

• Library books from local public library with DRM currently checked out
• "Liberated" library books from the same source (temporarily liberated of course for testing purposes)
• Books purchased with DRM ePub from Fictionwise
• Calibre converted Amazon Kindle books
• My own hand-tuned, hand created ePubs (such as The Under Dogs by Hulbert Footner in the Mobileread Library)

So, all in all, 100% successful!

Thanks again to the entire Kobo team.

SP
In Toronto
Toronto
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #26
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybraga View Post

EDIT: I just found out that if u leave the device on, with the book you're reading, it goes to sleeping mode, no matter what u do.... aaaaaaarrrrrrrrghhhh... i there any way to get back to firmware 1.0????
How long will it go in the sleep mode when the book is being read?
I quess it's 15 minutes again?
so, after 30 minutes idle, the thing will be shut-off?
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #27
EricLandes
Connoisseur
EricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle PW, Kobo Aura HD, Galaxy Note 10.1
I was eager for this update, but if they've botched sleep mode this badly, I'm not going to install it.

I can get around the font thing, but wow. Who spec'd out this sleep feature?

And, is it true they got rid of the covers being displayed when off? If so PUT THAT BACK! It's one cool thing only Kobo has, and now it's gone? Dumb.
EricLandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #28
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_yu_job View Post
How long will it go in the sleep mode when the book is being read?
I quess it's 15 minutes again?
so, after 30 minutes idle, the thing will be shut-off?
Just timed my Kobo. It is indeed 15mins of idle time that puts the Kobo into sleep mode. Then 15mins of further idle time before it shuts down completely.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #29
NickWilliams
NickWilliams began at the beginning.

I am really happy with the upgrade as well. Maybe it is my reading habits, but the sleep mode thing doesn't bother me. I have a two year old daughter, and I am a full time nursing student. Between those two things, I am usually really busy all day long. I don't have the opportunity to pick up my e reader for a few minutes here and a few minutes there. When I read it is usually for 30 min - 2 hour sessions twice a day. Having the reader go into sleep mode and turn off on its own makes no difference to me at all. In fact, they could do away with the sleep mode all together. If I had to take a call or something during my reading time I would just leave the reader on anyway. So, in that respect it does seem a little bit silly, but when I only get to read a couple of times a day it is really a non-issue for me. If it makes my battery last longer, I am perfectly happy with the changes.

The overall process was smooth, though the three button update thing made me chuckle a bit. I was hoping I wouldn't have to grow an extra hand at some point to get all the buttons pressed.

I have not come across any glitches yet, and is it my imagination or do the page turns seem a little smoother?

Regardless, I am a very happy customer at this point.

Thank you Kobo for standing behind your product and being active in the discussions here. That is the sort of business ethic that you do not see much these days.
NickWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #30
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

I like the sleep mode/power off thing. I don't always remember to shut it off. Also, as someone mentioned it doesn't take that long to power it back on. I imagine there will be 50/50 for and against. :-)
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote