Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #31
euro traveler
Connoisseur
euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Nook STR, Kobo Mini, TrekStor Pyrus Mini, Nook HD & HD+
Second Endurance by Alfred Lansing about Shackleton's amazing Antarctic ordeal.
euro traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #32
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
Fourth *In a Sunburned Country*
A forth nomination is not required in this book club. In a Sunburned Country is already fully nominated, so you still have 3 spots remaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please remove the link to B&N and put in the links to Kobo and Overdrive as shown above.
There is no reason for me to remove B&N and John F is handling all Overdrive links. I have added Kobo, however.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
There is no reason for me to remove B&N and John F is handling all Overdrive links. I have added Kobo, however.
But if you put in the Overdrive link where I requested, when the voting takes place, the Overdrive link will go there too. Otherwise, it will just stay here in this thread.

I almost forgot, your notice about Inkmesh should be removed as we all know Inkmesh is obsolete and we don't use it any longer.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #34
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Seems like we're going on a more non-fiction kick for this theme, so it's unlikely I'll get anywhere with this nomination. But I did say I would nominate it a while ago - so here it goes.

I nominate Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. I'm set to read that this year anyway and I think it does fit the theme (if you look at it from a fiction point of view).

MR Read library has this and it's public domain so I won't bother listing a bunch of commercial or library references:

MOBI, EPUB

I've gone with HarryT versions there.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #35
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Seems like we're going on a more non-fiction kick for this theme, so it's unlikely I'll get anywhere with this nomination. But I did say I would nominate it a while ago - so here it goes.

I nominate Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. I'm set to read that this year anyway and I think it does fit the theme (if you look at it from a fiction point of view).

MR Read library has this and it's public domain so I won't bother listing a bunch of commercial or library references:

MOBI, EPUB

I've gone with HarryT versions there.
I'll 2nd this!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And here's the 3rd.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

And for my final nomination, I shall be nominating Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton.

Quote:
A century from now, thanks to a technology allowing instantaneous travel across light-years, humanity has solved its energy shortages, cleaned up the environment, and created far-flung colony worlds. The keys to this empire belong to the powerful North family—composed of successive generations of clones. Yet these clones are not identical. For one thing, genetic errors have crept in with each generation. For another, the original three clone “brothers” have gone their separate ways, and the branches of the family are now friendly rivals more than allies.

Or maybe not so friendly. At least that’s what the murder of a North clone in the English city of...

Overdrive (FREE): http://search.overdrive.com/SearchRe...showVideo=True

BooksOnBoard: http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...er+F.+Hamilton

Sony: https://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/pe...00000000901320

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Great-North-Ro...N%3DB008GP4E62
Old 02-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #38
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'll nominate Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer

Quote:
In this vivid memoir that has sold millions of copies worldwide, Heinrich Harrer recounts his adventures as one of the first Europeans ever to enter Tibet. Harrer was traveling in India when the Second World War erupted. He was subsequently seized and imprisoned by British authorities. After several attempts, he escaped and crossed the rugged, frozen Himalayas, surviving by duping government officials and depending on the generosity of villagers for food and shelter. Harrer finally reached his ultimate destination-the Forbidden City of Lhasa-without money, or permission to be in Tibet. But Tibetan hospitality and his own curious appearance worked in Harrer?s favor, allowing him unprecedented acceptance among the upper classes. His intelligence and European ways also intrigued the young Dalai Lama, and Harrer soon became His Holiness?s tutor and trusted confidant. When the Chinese invaded Tibet in 1950, Harrer and the Dalai Lama fled the country together. This timeless story illuminates Eastern culture, as well as the childhood of His Holiness and the current plight of Tibetans. It is a must-read for lovers of travel, adventure, history, and culture.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0874778883
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'll nominate Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0874778883
The correct link to the eBook is http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Years-in...mm_kin_title_0
Old 02-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #40
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Some really great nominations for this new category! I'm loving it so far. I'll start by seconding Seven Years in Tibet.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Some really great nominations for this new category! I'm loving it so far. I'll start by seconding Seven Years in Tibet.
Want to help out by 2nding Great North Road?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #42
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Want to help out by 2nding Great North Road?
No, thank you.

It's hard to decide, but I'll use up my nominations by seconding River of Doubt and thirding In an Antique land. Three supporting nominations, three continents!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #43
jemc
Quietly Lurking...
jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iDevices, others
Third Seven Years in Tibet.
jemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #44
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Good nomination, I wonder if Ron Miller's new version will be available from Baen soon enough to read for the club if this wins. I've been meaning to re-read this and when I read about his new edition on Baen's site it kind of got me excited to read it again.

Quote:
Special attention has been paid to Jules Verne in this regard, who is not only one of my favorite authors but has historically suffered from ridiculously poor translations. For instance, the “standard” translation of 20,000 Leagues was created by a British Protestant minister, and Verne was a French Catholic liberal. Anything of which the translator didn’t approve was simply cut out. The result was that nearly 20 percent of the book was eliminated! To make things worse, he had a slippery command of French and no grasp at all of science. The result was literally thousands of errors. . .errors which for nearly a century had been blamed on Verne by his American and English readers. Because this translation has been in the public domain for generations, it’s the one most likely to be reprinted

For my new edition of the book, I replaced the missing text and corrected all of the translation errors and factual mistakes (for instance, having Professor Arronax return from the “Badlands” of Nebraska instead of the original version’s “disagreeable territory”). The book also includes numerous maps, appendices, and a detailed schematic of the Nautilus.
http://www.baen.com/RonMillerSpaceCollection.asp
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #45
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Good nomination, I wonder if Ron Miller's new version will be available from Baen soon enough to read for the club if this wins. I've been meaning to re-read this and when I read about his new edition on Baen's site it kind of got me excited to read it again.
Oooh fascinating! That was really interesting to read. I had no idea Verne suffered so badly at the hands of the translator.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote