Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #16
MikeCL
Zealot
MikeCL began at the beginning.

Device: KKB-3G
I buy a lot but what I find is more often then not the local store does not have it and Amazon does and then Amazon will be cheaper then the local store most of the time.. I know I do that for the blu-ray movies.
MikeCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #17
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstarky View Post
I don't buy enough to aharm any shop in my area. Having said that, the most important part to me is the bottom dollar. In this economy I need to be as frugal as possible and on some items Amazon and other online stores are going to win my $$$ if they are cheaper. It adds up.
you're absolutely right - it certainly does add up. and that's why there are no more mom and pop bookstores and hardware stores.
of course, that might not matter at all to you. as I said in my post, its none of my business where you shop. in 21st century USA, most people may not give a damn about supporting their community's businesses.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
in 21st century USA, most people may not give a damn about supporting their community's businesses.
And that's why mom and pop stores go out of business. The entire fault lies with customers who desert them, and not with big box stores like Walmart.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #19
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
If they didn't charge so much for the same item it wouldn't be a problem. Reality is I want to save money. Only thing mom & pop business are good for are restaurants.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
If they didn't charge so much for the same item it wouldn't be a problem. Reality is I want to save money. Only thing mom & pop business are good for are restaurants.
They did get the same wholesale rates the big box stores get.

Edit- that should read:

They don't get the same wholesale rates the big box stores get.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 03-17-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #21
tstarky
Next mood swing...6 min
tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Fire, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
you're absolutely right - it certainly does add up. and that's why there are no more mom and pop bookstores and hardware stores.
of course, that might not matter at all to you. as I said in my post, its none of my business where you shop. in 21st century USA, most people may not give a damn about supporting their community's businesses.
I didn't mean that I don't "give a damn" about the local businesses. I just can't afford to spend extra money right now at every mom and pop in my community.
tstarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #22
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
And that's why mom and pop stores go out of business. The entire fault lies with customers who desert them, and not with big box stores like Walmart.
Customers certainly are not at "fault" for spending their money where they wish. They are under no obligation to purchase from a local merchant.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Customers certainly are not at "fault" for spending their money where they wish. They are under no obligation to purchase from a local merchant.
True; and that validates my point that stores like Walmart are not to blame when smaller store go out of business.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #24
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
They don't get the same wholesale rates the big box stores get.
Part of providing goods and services is managing cost. Efficient acquisition, production, and delivery keep cost down. Volume helps with this. Everyone plays that game. If I but 36 rolls of toilet paper, my cost per wipe is lower than when I but a single roll. Small retailers have to offer something that is worth more to the consumer than the volume discount (I'll pay more for charmin than scott tissue because it squeezes better). When the value of premium service does not support the premium charged by the merchant, customers move on and the merchant reinvents or retires.

I drive past a convenience store and a small grocer for better prices on food most days. I drive past a gas station to save two pennies a gallon twice a week. I shop online (saves gas, saves time, saves money) before hoofing it to a local retailer (that happens to be Walmart) whenever I can...but not always. At the same time, I pay a premium for home and auto insurance because the company I do business with (Liberty Mutual, btw) has take very good care of me when I've needed to be taken care of. I choose expensive LM over my employer's discounted product.

Amazon has diminished the premium value of local shopping -- inexpensive and free shipping doesn't erode price advantage, returns are convenient, and support is strong. Amazon also provides better selection and, for some, eliminates a sales tax.

In the end, this is good for the little guy who, by spending less for staples, has more money to spend on other things. For those who place great value on the mom and pop shops, the 'other things' can be higher prices at the mom and pops they choose to patronize.

I still have Netflix, but I lean more towards Prime every day. I am buying more from Amazon each day (just can't buy Habanero Stuffed Olives or right angle hdmi adapters locally) and am starting to think $80/yr for shipping is reasonable. Prime is not as good as Netflix, but is Netflix worth $15/mo for the *difference* between Prime and Netflix? Prime may just be good enough. Once I spring for Prime, I am *sure* I will buy more from Amazon.

There's one more thing. I don't like Netflix. I think they are trying to squeeze every penny out of me. I think they want me to stop renting DVDs. When I choose not to get DVDs or they choose to stop offering DVDs, the premium value will be gone for me. On the other hand, I believe Amazon is working hard to keep me happy. All those free apps and books plus the relentless improvement to Prime are hugs and kisses.

That said, I don't care for the Amazon video presentation. I have trouble finding the compatible devices list nevermind selecting movies and tv shows. What would close the deal for me would be the ability to queue an evening of programming for a device. I digress...
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #25
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Part of providing goods and services is managing cost. Efficient acquisition, production, and delivery keep cost down. Volume helps with this. Everyone plays that game.....
Excellent post. And you know what? I love my Prime, and buy lots of heavy staples that way, like dog food. But it drove me crazy not being able to keep a queue of videos, so I reactivated my streaming Netflix. It is much more user friendly.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #26
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Excellent post. And you know what? I love my Prime, and buy lots of heavy staples that way, like dog food. But it drove me crazy not being able to keep a queue of videos, so I reactivated my streaming Netflix. It is much more user friendly.
I love Prime too. Heavy stuff goes free 2 day shipping like everything else and sometimes it's here in 1 day. Shampoo, conditioner, and the like are much cheaper so I get that there too. My bro-in-law found his diabetic test strips there for about 1/3 the price at pharmacy and other internet sites. The free and $1.99 movies are enough to keep me happy for a while, tho hubby likes Netflix better.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #27
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
I love Prime too. Heavy stuff goes free 2 day shipping like everything else and sometimes it's here in 1 day. Shampoo, conditioner, and the like are much cheaper so I get that there too. My bro-in-law found his diabetic test strips there for about 1/3 the price at pharmacy and other internet sites. The free and $1.99 movies are enough to keep me happy for a while, tho hubby likes Netflix better.

I got hooked on Prime when I was going to school. A lot of people may not be aware of this but Amazon offers free six months of Amazon Prime for students. It was for a year when I first signed up. Anyway, even after the trial period Amazon allows you to renew Prime for $39 a year for up to four years. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200500380)

An incredible deal for 2-Day shipping alone, which my experience with has been exactly like yours. I have seen many items arrive in a day. I plan to keep the Prime membership indefinitely mainly because of the outstanding shipping service. Of course, the free videos an book loan are also a really nice side benefit.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #28
tracys3sons
tracys3sons began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
I love prime too!! when my trial was over in Dec I bought my fire and was surprised to get another month of prime. After the two months I had to buy it for a year. I couldn't live without it! I ordered a wii game last night for a birthday party on Saturday, and it's being delivered today. I have no idea how they did that but thanks Prime!!!
tracys3sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #29
MikeCL
Zealot
MikeCL began at the beginning.

Device: KKB-3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
Yeah the heavy stuff on prime is a really really good deal
MikeCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #30
euterpe
euterpe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
even if you were to subscribe to amazon prime for the VOD alone -- 80/12 works out to about $6.67/mo -- cheaper than netflix or hulu plus. -AND- free 2-day shipping, unlimited cloud music, etc etc.

prime is a good deal.
euterpe is offline   Reply With Quote