Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 08:41 AM   #16
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by meromana View Post
Is that true? I've not been notified of any re-releases of books I've bought for Kindle, and I know some of them have been updated since I bought. I had to contact Amazon to request the updates be sent to my Kindle account. Is there some opt-in list I need to get on for these kinds of notifications?

--Maria
Hrm... not that I'm aware of. I don't even remember which book it was, but I definitely received an email a while ago saying that an ebook I purchased had been updated and was ready for download. ...It is also possible I'm thinking of another site and will need to retract that statement.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #17
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
I think it would be great if they did that, though. It frustrates me as a reader and a writer to know that customers aren't notified of the availability of new versions, or that the update isn't just automatically delivered when the person synchs up.

I liken it to bug fixes in software. Most software companies want you to get the latest version, so their customers have the optimal experience and don't keep bugging them with issues they've already addressed.

--Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #18
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I wouldn't make a buying decision on a book based on a single review, no matter how bad. I find it improbable that the majority of other readers would do so, either. If I were you, I'd look further for the reason for the sales drop.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #19
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
One-star reviews never bothered Mickey Spillane!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #20
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by dworth View Post
I was just wondering what other people had done in this situation and whether things tend to even out once you've got plenty of reviews with a spread of opinion.
Yup, from what I've seen, you'll probably just need some patience now. A 1-star review might cost you in the short-term, but probably not in the longer-term - especially if you've got some word-of-mouth recommendations happening.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 02:10 AM   #21
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Speaking as a reader, the one-star review wouldn't have detracted me, however 50% of your reviews (yes, only 2) indicating that your book needs serious editing *would* detract me. I have skipped several books where a significant percentage of reviews have stated that the book needs editing or is poorly written.

I think finding a way to indicate to potential readers that the most recent copy is edited or whatnot would go a long way.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:09 AM   #22
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Another thing to consider is, that this is that persons ONLY review...

If there's only one or two 1 star review on a book, I also always look at their previous reviews... Some people just love to criticize.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #23
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Speaking as the author who proudly holds probably the single worst book review in history:

http://digitalspotlightfictionreview...ings-life.html

I can safely say don't worry about negative reviews.

As somebody richer than me once said 'All publicity is good publicity'.

And as others above me have said, bad reviews can often lead people to buy a book just to see if it's as bad as this one review indicates.
NickSpalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #24
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSpalding View Post
Speaking as the author who proudly holds probably the single worst book review in history:

http://digitalspotlightfictionreview...ings-life.html
Agreed, Nick. That is easily "the single worst book review in history". So, I immediately rushed over to Smashwords and read the sample. That, and reviews by M. David Blake and Neil Marr of MobileRead fame, encouraged me to rush over to Amazon (they have it 20 cents cheaper than Smashwords; find me another 5 cents and I can make a payphone call) and purchase a copy.

So, a negative review did indeed encourage one reader to investigate, and purchase, your book.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:54 AM   #25
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Agreed, Nick. That is easily "the single worst book review in history". So, I immediately rushed over to Smashwords and read the sample. That, and reviews by M. David Blake and Neil Marr of MobileRead fame, encouraged me to rush over to Amazon (they have it 20 cents cheaper than Smashwords; find me another 5 cents and I can make a payphone call) and purchase a copy.

So, a negative review did indeed encourage one reader to investigate, and purchase, your book.
Aha! Operation 'Lemonade From A Lemon' has its first result!
Old 09-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #26
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer
bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
re: the 1 star review... I looked at the Amazon page and if I were a buyer I doubt that I would have been discouraged by that review. The other, positive reviews are much more detailed which gives them more credibility. The brevity of the 1 star review would make me interpret it as an outlier. Plus, since it doesn't appear in the set of detailed reviews that are shown on the page, I think its impact is further lessened. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

re: Nick Spalding's review... I think that may be the most positive review that I've ever read because it was so negative that it actually exceeded the precision of the measure of negativity and rolled over into the highest levels of praise.
bthrowsnaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #27
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
I have to say, negative/1-star reviews still can really hurt the soul I saw the first one today on a torrent site that's already got our book.. the worst thing is that the comments were so strange as to almost imply they've not even read the book.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #28
NickSpalding
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrowsnaill View Post
re: Nick Spalding's review... I think that may be the most positive review that I've ever read because it was so negative that it actually exceeded the precision of the measure of negativity and rolled over into the highest levels of praise.
Ah... so what you're saying is that it was such a horrifically negative review that it actually passed the negativity event horizon and carried back round to the other side into the realms of high praise?

Interesting...there may be an entirely new field of hyper-physics to be explored here. I'll get Stephen Hawking on the blower.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #29
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer
bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Yes, get Hawking on the horn. I think I see a hyperbole hypercube!
bthrowsnaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #30
jamesread
Banned
jamesread began at the beginning.

Device: none
LOL at me posting in this thread.

Last edited by jamesread; 09-23-2010 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Deleted 100,000,000,000 profanities. LOL
jamesread is offline   Reply With Quote