Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
For those who follow literary prize news

75 Notes For An Unwritten Essay on Literary Prizes
November 27, 2010 by Matthew Hunte

It goes through the storied history of the politics behind various US literary prizes, with some entertaining anecdotes.

It ends with a quote by Professor Irwin Corey's acceptance speech for Thomas Pynchon's 1974 National Book Award for Gravity's Rainbow. Pynchon was a noted recluse, and many in the audience initially thought it was actually Pynchon making the speech.

The quote:
Quote:
But I do want to thank the bureau...I mean the committee, the organization for the $10,000 they've given out...tonight they made over $400,000 and I think that I have another appointment. I would like to stay here, but for the sake of brevity I, I must leave. I do want to thank you, I want to thank Mr. TurKAL. I want to thank Mr. Knopf who just ran through the auditorium* and I want to thank Breshnev, Kissinger - acting President of the Unites States - and also want to thank Truman Capote and thank you.
The whole speech (and a video version) can be seen here on thomaspynchon.com.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote