Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I know I am not supposed to create multiple libraries, but . . .

I have almost 1500 books in Calibre. A few of these books were free business, economic, history books I downloaded, intending to give them to my husband, whenever he got an ereader. Well, now he has my old K2 (you didn't think I was going to give him the K3, did you?) and I would like to get rid of "his" books. But I did go to all the trouble of removing the DRM, and I probably picked some of them up from somewhere other than Amazon.

So I would really like to set up a library with just his books. He won't be using Calibre, but at least the books would be there and could be downloaded to any reader.

Is this possible? Oh, and I use Dropbox as well. My Calibre library points to my Dropbox account, but I am not so concerned about backing his library up 5 different ways.

Last edited by Sydney's Mom; 09-01-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
So I would really like to set up a library with just his books. ...
Is this possible?
It is now trivially easy, with lots of support for moving books to and from different libraries. Next to books icon, 5th from left, pull down triangle arrow, choose Switch to Library then Create an Empty Library and move books there by selecting them and right click - Copy to Library

Last edited by Starson17; 09-01-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Multiple libraries is super simple now, and although it's not precisely what Kovid meant to happen when he made it; it comes in seriously handy for things like this.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:54 AM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Yeah, we sure surpised Kovid when a bunch of us jumped on multiple libraries like stink on skunk. I have one for my e-books, my songbooks/sheet music/ and one for comic books. I have a boatload of downloaded computer tech help articles I may put in another library (someday) and may do the same with my computer magazines (someday).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
QUESTION: If you move a book from Library A to Library B, does the book stay resident in Library A?
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
QUESTION: If you move a book from Library A to Library B, does the book stay resident in Library A?
The function is called "Copy to Library" and it's a copy, not a move, so yes, it stays in the original library, unless you delete it.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
The function is called "Copy to Library" and it's a copy, not a move, so yes, it stays in the original library, unless you delete it.
Thanks Starson for the answer - I appreciate it. I think I may do the same thing for my hubby's library. I have a lot of romance and girlie stuff in my library. Being able to set up a separate library for him with more manly books (hee hee) would be great. He wouldn't have to scroll through stuff he has no interest in reading. Good to know it creates a copy.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Thanks Starson for the answer - I appreciate it. I think I may do the same thing for my hubby's library. I have a lot of romance and girlie stuff in my library. Being able to set up a separate library for him with more manly books (hee hee) would be great. He wouldn't have to scroll through stuff he has no interest in reading. Good to know it creates a copy.
Tags and saved searches work here if the custom fields are the same
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Wow, that was easy. Moved 26 books into a separate library, and onto my husband's kindle. Now, I think I will try to create another library for books for my daughter or eventual grandchildren. For example, Amazon had almost all the Lemony Snicky (sp) books as give aways last year.

Thanks so much.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Tags and saved searches work here if the custom fields are the same
For me, that points out the huge advantage of custom libraries; I can have different custom columns for each library without junking up the screen.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
irrationalJohn
irrationalJohn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wink A potential caveat ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Wow, that was easy. Moved 26 books into a separate library, and onto my husband's kindle.
One caveat FWIW.

After copying the books to another library, you might want to verify that the books showed up correctly in the destination library before deleting them from the source library you copied them from.

I'm just thinking it's a new feature and it never hurts to be cautious about protecting your data when using a new feature.

-irrational john
irrationalJohn is offline   Reply With Quote